Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   I need a vacation! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1265504)

aylasmommy 08-21-2011 10:57 AM

I need a vacation!

I Am horribly, desperately in need of a vacation and the opportunity has shown itself for a gorgeous trip in October to celebrate my 30th and hubs 40th bdays. It would be two night three days plus drive time. We have never been away from Ayla more than a day and never overnight.

Ayla will be 22 months by then. As of now she nurses 3/4 times a day and doesn't show any signs of wanting to stop. She eats and uses a sippy cup at bedtime and we no longer nurse to sleep. My mom (who would be watching her) wants me to wean Ayla completely before we go.

I guess I want to know if that's necessary? Can breastfeeding moms take vacations and hop right back into it? To be perfectly honest I'd be just fine weaning for good, I just don't see that Ayla is.

Thoughts? Opinions? Be nice please:). I don't want to get flamed for needing a break :)

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

KristieW 08-21-2011 11:30 AM

Re: I need a vacation!

You totally don't need to wean. I was away from DD1 for the 1st time in March when she was 28 months, and after four days apart, she hopped right back to it like she'd never skipped a beat. ;)

aylasmommy 08-21-2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristieW
You totally don't need to wean. I was away from DD1 for the 1st time in March when she was 28 months, and after four days apart, she hopped right back to it like she'd never skipped a beat. ;)

Thank you for that! Did you pump while you were away?

kgmom 08-21-2011 01:09 PM

Hubby and I went away for 2 nights when DD was 22 months old. She was nursing 2-3 times a day. I thought she might wean, but she went right back to nursing when we got back. I didn't bring my pump but should have since I ended up getting uncomfortable enough to need to hand-express (which I am not very good at).

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum

eliz7 08-21-2011 01:43 PM

I left my 25 month dd2 for 6 days (or should or say xdh took her), I pumped 2-3 times and when she got back my supply was low but she built it back up and we went on to nurse for years after:) If I could do it again I would have pumped more so my supply wouldn't have lowered so much.
My advice is to go on that vacation and don't worry about weaning. If she is ready to wean she will and if she is not ready she will pick it right back up. I also would ignore anyone's opinion except dh's when it comes to your nursing relationship.

aylasmommy 08-21-2011 02:50 PM

<3 thanks ladies. I love to hear your stories and experiences.

ym mama 08-21-2011 09:41 PM

I left both DS and DD when they were around 14 months for 6 days for a mission trip for work (I was a youth minister). I pumped 3 times a day. Like PP, my supply went down... But both picked it right back up when I got home and we nursed a lil more frequently the couple days after I got home to build it back up. Also, DH and I got a chance for a getaway overnight last wkd. DD is 16 monks and nursing about 4 times a day. Being that it was spontaneous... I didn't bring my pump. Again, like PP I was too uncomfortable and had the hand express. My advice is that you def don't have to wean besides, even if you did, the only difference it would prob make is what's in the cup/bottle... Because either way she'll prob keep the routine of wanting milk 3/4times a day. I would take your pump and pump when it's convenient with a minimum being twice a day... Most of all, enjoy the vacation!!! :)))

aylasmommy 08-28-2011 06:55 AM

Bought my trip!!! I'm so excited!!! We're doing a cabin on the Russian river with wine tasting in sonoma. Woot!!