Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Labor, Delivery & Postpartum (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   The words every woman wants to hear (not!) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1508975)

menthomas 04-16-2013 02:46 AM

'The baby wouldn't have fit through your pelvis anyways.'

These are words spoken to my friend after finding out that she needs to have a c section because of broken water and spiking a fever. By her NURSE.

I'm so upset. What scarring words to a woman who had labored for 18 hours and gotten to 7 cm.

The kicker- he was 7 lbs 14 oz.

mama_to_DJM 04-16-2013 09:57 AM

Re: The words every woman wants to hear (not!)

I'm sorry. My SIL was recently told the same thing. She's a pretty petite person, but still, I think her 8.7 lb son probably would've fit.

bigmamakelsey 04-16-2013 10:20 AM

CPD is extremely rare, yet it's told to women all the time - USUALLY, your body won't make a baby that is too large to fit out of your body..and taking a look at the mother and a estimate of weight on an ultrasound is NO indicator.

jen_batten 04-16-2013 11:14 AM

I HATE when Dr's say things like this. When my mom was pregnant with me her Dr told her "You will NEVER be able to have a baby naturally." She had already had my brother vaginally. :giggle: Silly doctors. They do so much harm this way.

Leah52 04-16-2013 11:45 AM

A casual friend (meaning I don't get in her business) just had a c-section for her first baby because it was "too big". She was almost 10 pounds but the mom is not tiny, she's pretty average with wide hips (and i know that doesn't always reflect on pelvis size). Two of my SILs have had several 9-10lb babies all vaginally, some at home, with no problems. It might not be as easy as a 7lb baby but you think it would be easier than recovering from surgery. :(

bigmamakelsey 04-16-2013 12:05 PM

I had a friend recently have a baby. They induced her at 38 weeks because she was apparently carrying an almost 10lb baby, she stalled in labor and they decided to give her a c-section because they didn't think she could push the baby out anyhow.
The baby? Under 6lbs. I think she was 5lbs 14oz if I recall correctly.

jen_batten 04-16-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey (Post 16502359)
I had a friend recently have a baby. They induced her at 38 weeks because she was apparently carrying an almost 10lb baby, she stalled in labor and they decided to give her a c-section because they didn't think she could push the baby out anyhow.
The baby? Under 6lbs. I think she was 5lbs 14oz if I recall correctly.

This is awful too. My friend got induced when they said her baby was six pounds because she had trouble with her first that was a little over six pounds. That second baby, which they repeatedly assured her was six pounds was born at three pounds and some change. She spent a long time in the nicu and had a lot of complications from the early induction. :(

bigmamakelsey 04-16-2013 12:25 PM

So sad :sadno:

JennTheMomma 04-16-2013 12:37 PM

Yup one of the biggest lies done by American Doctors. True CPD is rare. I'm petite and my biggest baby was 8 lbs 12 oz, birthed at home with no tears (my smallest, 7 lb baby gave me a 2nd degree tear). There is a blog, can't remember the name of it, but it's done by a Doctor in another country where most of the women are not even 5 feet tall and they birth babies just fine (most are 7-8 lbs). The blog is about the myth of "your baby is too big for you".

jackyl08 04-16-2013 12:55 PM

My SIL was told at 8 WEEKS that she was too small to have a vaginal birth. She did end up with a section at 40wks for an 8lb baby. On the other hand, my OB would never say such a thing. A cousin of a friend sees my OB. Her first was 12lbs(section after 30 some hours of labor) and she is VBAC'ing this time around. OB is supportive and keeping an eye on things. Thinking it might have been undiagnosed GD last time. Not all doctors are idiots like my SIL's are, but those idiots make the rest look bad.