Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Petition to end circ on minors. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1471059)

kushie tushie 12-09-2012 07:24 PM

Please keep this civil! No commentary needed.

I just wanted to post this link for mamas who want to support it.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...ge-18/DbCyTjRH

Pass it on if you support the cause!

kushie tushie 12-10-2012 07:13 AM

Bump

I'm mobile.... sorry for the typos!

jessicalev8 12-10-2012 11:53 AM

Re: Petition to end circ on minors.

I signed :)

DesertRat 12-10-2012 12:09 PM

I'm conflicted. I mean, I think circ'ing is horrible. But part of me prefers to educate people more first. Circ rates are dropping rapidly and in a few years (I hope) there will only be a small percentage of people circ'ing. I think then would be a better time to ban circumcision, because until then there are a lot of people who think this is just another way the gov't is infringing on their rights. IOW, I think more people need to realize how harmful it is before we can ban it.

CASMama711 12-10-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertRat (Post 16026790)
I'm conflicted. I mean, I think circ'ing is horrible. But part of me prefers to educate people more first. Circ rates are dropping rapidly and in a few years (I hope) there will only be a small percentage of people circ'ing. I think then would be a better time to ban circumcision, because until then there are a lot of people who think this is just another way the gov't is infringing on their rights. IOW, I think more people need to realize how harmful it is before we can ban it.

Agree.

You win more flies with honey than with vinegar... just something I think some people in the anti-circ movement might want to consider. :2cents:

Michelle_M 12-10-2012 03:27 PM

It would infringe on religious freedom. Jewish people truly do believe that it is a commandment of God and do it because God told them to in their Bible (Old Testament for Christians).

To say they could no longer circumcise their children, would be telling them that they cannot worship God or follow his laws.

I will be very surprised if this passes no matter how many signatures are on the paper. And no, I won't be singing it. All three of my boys are circ'ed and I don't regret it.

And just as there has been damage done by botched circumcisions, I have known children who HAD to be circ'ed at age 6 or 7 because of constant painful infections and it became a medical necessity, which would not have been needed at that age if the parents had circ'ed at a younger age.

I am NOT judging those who want their children to stay intact, that's your choice. But who are you to tell a person of the Jewish faith that they shouldn't have the right to follow a practice that they have been doing for thousand's of years, because it's your opinion that they shouldn't be circ'ing their kids?

God bless!

omahamama731 12-10-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelle_M
It would infringe on religious freedom. Jewish people truly do believe that it is a commandment of God and do it because God told them to in their Bible (Old Testament for Christians).

To say they could no longer circumcise their children, would be telling them that they cannot worship God or follow his laws.

I will be very surprised if this passes no matter how many signatures are on the paper. And no, I won't be singing it. All three of my boys are circ'ed and I don't regret it.

And just as there has been damage done by botched circumcisions, I have known children who HAD to be circ'ed at age 6 or 7 because of constant painful infections and it became a medical necessity, which would not have been needed at that age if the parents had circ'ed at a younger age.

I am NOT judging those who want their children to stay intact, that's your choice. But who are you to tell a person of the Jewish faith that they shouldn't have the right to follow a practice that they have been doing for thousand's of years, because it's your opinion that they shouldn't be circ'ing their kids?

God bless!

what she said :)

s@hmommy 12-10-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertRat (Post 16026790)

Quote:

Originally Posted by CASMama711 (Post 16027458)
Agree.

You win more flies with honey than with vinegar... just something I think some people in the anti-circ movement might want to consider. :2cents:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelle_M (Post 16027634)

God bless!

I agree with every point. Shoving your opinion down peoples throats is not going to win anyone over to your cause.

kushie tushie 12-10-2012 03:39 PM

Omg ladies. Seriously, this was a heres a petition sign and load on if you want. This was not a debate thread.

Dh emailed me this last night. I wanted to pass it on for people who wanted to support it.

kushie tushie 12-10-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelle_M (Post 16027634)

God bless!

Muslims circ their girls but thats illegal in the US.....

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 12-10-2012 03:45 PM

*closed to avoid debate, either sign or don't, no debates needed*:grouphug:

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 12-11-2012 04:38 PM

**This thread is being unstuck and reopened, no debates please. We are allowing the thread for those who are interested in the petition only.**

zandj 12-11-2012 04:49 PM

I signed

kushie tushie 12-11-2012 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox (Post 16031923)
**This thread is being unstuck and reopened, no debates please. We are allowing the thread for those who are interested in the petition only.**

Thank you Sally! :hugs:

kushie tushie 12-11-2012 05:47 PM

Dp

Green Decals 12-11-2012 05:47 PM

I didn't sign it - not that I don't agree with it, but it is already illegal in the US. The female genital mutilation law of 1996 prohibits it for girls, and the 14th amendment protects a boy's equal rights. When the 1996 FGM law turns 18 in 2 years, all of the boys circed since its passing in 1996 will, upon reaching their 18th birthday, be eligible to sue the hospitals/mohels who performed their circumcision. Then, when hospitals are profiting off of it because they are paying out for lawsuits/settlements, we will see more hospitals refusing to do it like some west coast hospitals already have.

kushie tushie 12-11-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Decals (Post 16032129)
I didn't sign it - not that I don't agree with it, but it is already illegal in the US. The female genital mutilation law of 1996 prohibits it for girls, and the 14th amendment protects a boy's equal rights. When the 1996 FGM law turns 18 in 2 years, all of the boys circed since its passing in 1996 will, upon reaching their 18th birthday, be eligible to sue the hospitals/mohels who performed their circumcision. Then, when hospitals are profiting off of it because they are paying out for lawsuits/settlements, we will see more hospitals refusing to do it like some west coast hospitals already have.

How interesting! Thanks so much for sharing!

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox 12-11-2012 06:17 PM

Ladies, I want to put out the fire here since I just reopened this thread, so instead of replying to the thread, let's keep this thread as a bump to move it up as needed please. This is because of the whole no debates we are working towards to keep the peace, the mama's who do circumcise won't be replying in here so a 12 hour bump works if OP wants to. Those who want to sign are free to, the link is fine let's just try and not make this into a chat thread that will end up in another circ/intact mommy war for our ds mama's please.:)

kushie tushie 12-12-2012 05:41 AM

Bump

DesertRat 12-12-2012 08:32 AM

I'm relieved to see this thread re-opened. I was disappointed in the moderating when it got closed since I didn't feel my initial comment (that had been deleted) was contentious. While I agreed with the OP about wanting to end circumcision, I don't necessarily agree that this is the way to go. But to be honest, I'm not really sure how it all ought to be done, so I appreciate hearing other people's viewpoints as well.

I think as long as people are being civil about this, I think conversation is important because we all have something to learn from others' opinions.

umphreysmommy 12-12-2012 04:04 PM

I would sign if it did protect religious freedoms. I really have no problem with Jewish circs. I just don't think people should do it for social or aesthetic reasons.

Green Decals 12-12-2012 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by umphreysmommy (Post 16036006)
I would sign if it did protect religious freedoms. I really have no problem with Jewish circs. I just don't think people should do it for social or aesthetic reasons.

It's illegal for girls for social, aesthetic, and religious reasons - we really can't have it both ways.

stevensmom 12-12-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox (Post 16032258)
Ladies, I want to put out the fire here since I just reopened this thread, so instead of replying to the thread, let's keep this thread as a bump to move it up as needed please. This is because of the whole no debates we are working towards to keep the peace, the mama's who do circumcise won't be replying in here so a 12 hour bump works if OP wants to. Those who want to sign are free to, the link is fine let's just try and not make this into a chat thread that will end up in another circ/intact mommy war for our ds mama's please.:)

please read...no comments or it will be shut back down :(

kushie tushie 12-13-2012 05:41 AM

Bump

kushie tushie 12-13-2012 06:45 PM

Bump

kushie tushie 12-14-2012 09:27 PM

Bump

strongwoman 12-14-2012 09:38 PM

The petition is no longer visible from the link. Is there another link?

kushie tushie 12-15-2012 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strongwoman (Post 16045466)
The petition is no longer visible from the link. Is there another link?

Sorry I didn't notice the date. The cutoff was yesterday.