Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   sippy cup for breastfed baby? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185477)

ashandri 07-16-2007 11:14 AM

sippy cup for breastfed baby?

My baby will not take a bottle no matter what I do so I want to try to transition to a sippy cup. Anyone have any ideas about what to by...brand...soft top...hard top...etc. THANKS

Weezy6703 07-16-2007 11:20 AM

Re: sippy cup for breastfed baby?

If you're not particular to certain components of the cup (plastic vs glass), Avent, Nuby, Gerber, Playtex, and maybe even more all make cups with soft spouts. IMO the soft spouts were much more gentle on their gums up until there's a good bit of teeth. Nuby was my favorite as far as the soft silicone spout, but once ds got older, the spouts needed replacing more often b/c it was easier to break down (meaning them chewing or biting down on them more..not them deteriorating). I liked avent probably next best b/c of the removable handles (not needing to buy seperate cups). Once he finally got the hang of tilting the cup right and sucking right he didn't care which one he got. Now we can use either hard or soft spout.

Good luck!

Manna00 07-16-2007 11:22 AM

We use Nuby soft spouts. DS has never used a bottle--we just went straight to it! :)

saongiri 07-16-2007 11:23 AM

fwiw I used sippy cups with both af my kids starting at 5 months -they both refused bottles- and it worked great- I used soft spouts

Indianamom*2 07-16-2007 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashandri (Post 1440997)
My baby will not take a bottle no matter what I do so I want to try to transition to a sippy cup. Anyone have any ideas about what to by...brand...soft top...hard top...etc. THANKS

The only thing that my EBF DD will take are the Nuby sippies . You can get them at Walmart for $1 each or you can get them with handles for $3, or the set which is 1 9oz cup, sippie nipple, regular bottle nipple, and a sippster nipple and lids for all for around $5.

We have all 3 and they are all great.

jenjen31 07-16-2007 12:12 PM

I used the avent for my older ds who never took a bottle. He took to them pretty well and then easily went to the harder spout playtex sippys that he later LOVED (until he was about 4 1/2!!!!)

CKMOMMA 07-17-2007 06:10 PM

The NUBY wide ones with holders seem like those would work. They are like 2 bux at walmart!

iris0110 07-17-2007 06:30 PM

I didn't like the nuby cups, they broke apart and I didn't feel like they were safe. We used primarily avent cups with soft spouts first and then the harder spouts. With Kearnan we did it just because the pump I had was an avent pump so that is what fit. Then with THaren we did it cause we already had them. After Kearnan was a bit older he took to the Gerber sport cups, and he still uses them now. Tharen wanted the Gerber sport cup just like brother had by the time he hit about 9 months and has been on them since. I think he likes the tiny spout and of course he likes being just like brother.

slomom 07-17-2007 06:35 PM

I have the playtex and avent ones. My DD was EBF and didn't take a bottle either. What I did was let her get accustomed to it by introducing it at meals, trying it with the valve in and not in (don't fill it too full or else there'll be a huge puddle mess!) until she got used to it. Like everything else, consistency is key.

HTH!

itsymama 07-17-2007 08:22 PM

For the longest time we only used on kind with handles and a straw , and then we just bought other brands like it , I figured the straw wasn't sitting on his teeth as much as other types of sippy cups , here's a link to the one we started with at 9 months . http://www.gerbercanada.com/en/produ...asygripcup.jsp