Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Would this concern you? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1479734)

UnderTheStars 01-09-2013 05:09 PM

Would this concern you?

Saturday my DD, who will be 5 in Feb, was acting really sleepy/lethargic. She had woken up once the night before for a drink but had gone right back to sleep. She seemed to eat ok that day, she just had NO energy and actually fell asleep randomly on our sofa at 11:30am (she hasn't taken a nap in about a year, and even then certainly not that early in the day). I thought maybe she was coming down with a bug or something so we've just kept an eye on her.

Well, its been 5 days now and she is still the same. She has NO other symptoms. I've asked her if she felt sick, which she said no to, she has not had a fever either. She is just very sleepy/out of it. Today she fell asleep on the couch again after I picked her up from school (which could have been from a busy day at school, but given the week its worth noting).

Is this a normal time for a growth spurt or anything? Would you take her to get checked out just in case? I freely admit I am a little more paranoid than most, so I don't want to overreact unless someone else agrees it sounds doctor-worthy...

jbug_4 01-09-2013 05:20 PM

Re: Would this concern you?

I might be a little concerned but would probably just wait and see a little longer. if she had other symptoms I would definitely be worried. How has she been at school? Has the teacher noticed the same? DD goes in spurts like that but not usually that long. they last for a few days and then she is back. She turned 5 in July. About once a month since starting school she'll nap 2 days in a row- like from 1 until 4 and then go to bed at 7. She stopped napping unless sick at 2. I'd probably randomly check her temp too just to make sure she doesn't have a low grade fever.

leyash 01-09-2013 05:22 PM

If my child was doing that, yes, I would take them in. After 5 days, I may even consider going to the ER if I can't get into the doctor quickly enough. How's that for paranoia? :)

hpfgirl 01-09-2013 05:49 PM

I would worry too!

bluedaisyma 01-09-2013 06:25 PM

Growth spurt? My 16 yr old was doing this when he was 8, but he also had achy joints- turned out to be lymes

agardenfull 01-09-2013 06:35 PM

Yes. You know your child, "when in doubt check it" out I say. My personal opinion is continued lethargy in 5 year old in not normal. I'm not a medical intervention fan, but am all for diagnostics, then you can prayerfully decided what to do, just my:2cents:

mommy2abigail 01-09-2013 09:07 PM

Could she have allergies? My 4 yo (will be 5 in feb too!) acts sleepy and lethargic if I forget her allergy medicine. She also gets headaches.

PoshPants 01-09-2013 09:14 PM

I'd have it checked out, if a normally active well child has lethargy like that for a few days there is usually a reason

AniMommy 01-09-2013 09:31 PM

Did she just go back to school after a long time off? Maybe she needs to build back up stamina for school. Is she getting enough protein and veggies? is there any new activity that shes involved in? It sounds more like she's run down. Do you live in a cloudy winter place? May be low vit D levels.

Id say if it lasts for a full week without change, I'd ask for a check up.

MsGiggles 01-09-2013 10:17 PM

I'd consider taking them to see family dr. It reminded me of mono symptoms; not feeling sick, but definitely run down.