Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   HELP! My son won't take a bink (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1490050)

LeAdams7 02-07-2013 10:42 AM

HELP! My son won't take a bink

My son is 3 months old and I have to return to work 2 days a week starting next week. My son is EBF and for the past week has refused to take a Binkie. He would take a soothie before this. He is only comforted by nursing (which settles him down immediately). I am so worried that he will cry when I'm not here. Any recommendations on a different brand of Binkie or what I can do?

BoyCrazy 02-07-2013 10:56 AM

Re: HELP! My son won't take a bink

Some babies just don't like the pacifier. My DS#3 would never take one, and my DS#4 suddenly refused his around his first birthday (I think when his molars started coming in). It can be frustrating in the beginning, but after two paci-dependant babies, it was kind of nice not to have to worry about him finding a dusty one laying around, or waking up when it dropped out of his mouth. At three months, your LO is still young enough for Happiest Baby on the Block, that has great ideas for soothing. (Check your public library for the dvd, much quicker than reading the book).
Good luck mama! Hope you can find something that will work for your baby.

LeAdams7 02-07-2013 10:59 AM

Thank you I will definately look into that. I don't mind that he won't take a Binkie, I just want to leave some soothing ideas that will work for my mom and mother in law for when I am at work. I can't stand to think of him home drying when, if I were here, I could calm him immediately

l_Kimmie_l 02-07-2013 11:02 AM

Try putting the binkie between your boobs so it smells like you. Once baby nurses, offer binkie from boobies for comfort sucking. I can say that I had 2 who would take a bink and 2 who would not. Of the 2 who refused, only one used me as a paci. The other does not really comfort suck during the day. He will nurse at night.

bigmamakelsey 02-07-2013 11:06 AM

DS2 never took one, either. I'd just find another thing he likes - soft music maybe? My son loves being bounced on a yoga ball, and he will take a finger rather than a paci.

Leanbh 02-07-2013 11:17 AM

4 kids here and only one takes a binky/paci. Also has been ebf. I found the Mam brand worked well for us. They either will or won't take it....nothing you can do really. Try to get a few brands and see if LO takes to any, that's what I did.

I have two thumb suckers....bad protruding teeth, will 100% need braces for one of them, so I'd rather a paci baby than thumb sucker here IMO.

He might actually take to it once it's not from you but from a caretaker....

Leanbh 02-07-2013 11:19 AM

Oh...not sure if you have figured out bottles, but for EBF the platex latex, not silicone were the only ones that worked for us at that age....with the drop ins. I did read that they are most like breast so that makes sense. Later they moved onto the smaller nipple types like the medela/glass evenflo just fine....

mommabullfrog 02-07-2013 11:45 AM

Mine used soothies until 3 months and then rejected it too. I switched to the MAM brand and he was fine.
Funny thing is, MAM was what the hospital gave us, and he didn't like it at first. Apparently he changed his mind :)

Airyl 02-07-2013 11:48 AM

My kiddos have liked the orthodontic type, and would really only take the Soothie style as newbies. I agree with looking into the Happiest Baby on the Block. My first could only be soothed by nursing for a while too, its hard when you can't be there to nurse. :hugs:

addicteddad 02-07-2013 12:49 PM

DS never took a pacifier. Never really needed one when I had him and his mom was at work. When my mom came to visit when he was a couple weeks old she would always want to hold him and if he was fussy, she always tried to give him a pacifier. We would have to show her that he just needed something else like BM, diaper change, walking, etc.
The word binkie is like nails on a chalkboard so I'm kind of glad he never liked one.