Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   This is normal, right? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1502035)

mariannec32 03-21-2013 10:49 AM

This is normal, right?

My 7 week old EBF son has stopped pooping constantly. I know around this time it's common for it to slow way down. The last few days he has gone only once per day, and just a small amount. His wet diaper output is good and he was gaining steadily at his last pedi appointment the beginning of this month. Normal?

babychewbacca 03-21-2013 11:57 AM

My 7 week old slowed down on the poop production a few weeks ago. He went from 6-7 a day to one. As long as the baby is gaining and has plenty of wet diapers, and the poop is normal bf poop, then it's fine.

birdinhand 03-21-2013 01:40 PM

Re: This is normal, right?

Totally normal, and it could even space out to every couple of days. My oldest, exclusively breastfed, would poop once a week, once he went 10 days. He was totally fine, though. Breastmilk breaks-down so well babies don't always need to poop so much.

l_Kimmie_l 03-21-2013 01:52 PM

Totally normal. My now 3 yr old used to only poop once every 2 weeks. He just had a slow bowel and digested most of the milk. Dr said it was fine unless he had other symptoms.

elizabeth.scalf 03-21-2013 02:55 PM

My EBF 7 month old poops about once a week now. It has steadily declined since she was born. First a bunch, then twice a day, then once, for a while she was every other day. The last month though it's been like every 5- 7 days, yay! Totally normal.

cuddlebunny_24 03-21-2013 03:39 PM

Perfectly normal, my oldest two went from every feeding to once every week and a half to two weeks around that point. Right now the newest one is every feeding, but he is only 6 days old.

mariannec32 03-21-2013 05:22 PM

Great! Thanks for all the responses. My DS1 always went at least 3-4 times a day until he was almost 2 years old so this is totally new to me. This will make diaper changing much easier, yay! :banana:

Computermama 03-21-2013 05:40 PM

If it's just a small amount, you might want to brace for impact. Babies who don't poop often make up for what they don't have in frequency with volume. I have a feeling you probably have a monster poop coming.

l_Kimmie_l 03-22-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Computermama (Post 16421300)
If it's just a small amount, you might want to brace for impact. Babies who don't poop often make up for what they don't have in frequency with volume. I have a feeling you probably have a monster poop coming.

Mine never did, so you never know. He always just went a tiny bei once every 10-14 days. He had a high absorption rate due to a slower bowel function.

colin-mylilguy 03-22-2013 09:32 AM

My pediatrician said that around 2 months, the baby's digestive tract becomes very efficient at absorbing nearly everything from the milk so that many EBF babies poop very little. We experienced this, too. Now, my DS is 27 months and eating mostly solids and pooping 2-4 times a day! Enjoy less poop for now. ;) It's normal.