Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Halloween-Do YOU dress up? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1591676)

tinymama 08-02-2014 12:37 AM

Halloween-Do YOU dress up?
 
I know it is early but we always start making costumes in August. Halloween is one of my favorite holidays! I love to dress up, sometimes a themed costume that goes with the kids. DH will sometimes go along with it, too, although this year he is stuck on the idea that "Halloween is for KIDS".

One year we did Star Wars characters (I was a pregnant Padme, DH was Annakin, we had a Yoda, Han Solo, Darth Maul, etc.) that one took A LOT of planning! Last year DD was a baby Little Red Riding Hood, I was the Wolf, and DH went as the Hunter.

So what is your take? Is dressing up for kids only, or for all ages?

Teddyandnick 08-02-2014 12:57 AM

Halloween is one of our favorite holidays too! We usually start working on props in July and start setting up decorations in early September. We install about 150' of homemade fencing for our graveyard. Then we start setting up our bigger props that need assembly, like the mausoleum with the flying crank ghost. We do a bunch of Halloween music sequenced with different things like lightening and thunder and fog machines. This year I plan on adding a mad scientist lab, which is where the kids will go to get their candy. So, needless to say, we dress up. :)

tinymama 08-02-2014 01:09 AM

Re: Halloween-Do YOU dress up?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teddyandnick (Post 17430947)
Halloween is one of our favorite holidays too! We usually start working on props in July and start setting up decorations in early September. We install about 150' of homemade fencing for our graveyard. Then we start setting up our bigger props that need assembly, like the mausoleum with the flying crank ghost. We do a bunch of Halloween music sequenced with different things like lightening and thunder and fog machines. This year I plan on adding a mad scientist lab, which is where the kids will go to get their candy. So, needless to say, we dress up. :)

I wish we could trick-or-treat at your door! Sounds AWESOME. We live rurally so there is no trick or treating, except close friends or nice elderly types, but our schools have Trunk-Or-Treat in the parking lot and we have decorated our van for that. A lot of parents are just donating their time to hand out candy, which is great, but some really go ALL OUT and it is always fun to see what some people come up with!

Suzi 08-02-2014 11:16 PM

We go Halloween camping the weekend before. Everyone decorates their campers. Last year we did luigi's mansion, year before was a haunted cafe, and this year will be some sort of homecoming theme. Not sure if we will be zombies or what. So we all dress up for that. Actual Halloween just the kiddos dress up

jbug_4 08-03-2014 12:50 PM

Re: Halloween-Do YOU dress up?
 
Halloween is one of our favorites too. We all dress up. We're rural but when we lived closer to family we had a bon fire and costume party (adults and kids). Now since we're so rural we still decorate the house- we probably have more Halloween decorations than Christmas (if you don't include the Christmas tree ornaments)- but no parties. We all dress up although not usually a theme and go trick or treating. DH will usually try to match at least one of us or do something that fits with the kids' interest. One year he was a banana because of that stupid you tube video "I'm a banana". The kids loved the video so dh went as a banana. One year dd was shark and dh decided he'd be a pirate to go with the shark. I was a saloon girl (I was 3 weeks post partem and only decided to dress up at the last minute). Last year I made dd's peacock costume, ds' mickey mouse, I was a southern bell (complete with 4 hoop skirt) and dh was a confederate solider. We're a bit crazy- we bought actual reenactment costumes to wear. They were quite pricey for Halloween costumes. I swear dh's costume budget doubles every year. We went from getting regular Halloween costumes to spending serious money on ours. I've been making the kids. This year dd says she wants to be a mermaid but that may have changed. She actually has costume ideas for the next 3 years and ds has the next 2 years planned.

tinymama 08-03-2014 11:49 PM

Re: Halloween-Do YOU dress up?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbug_4 (Post 17431879)
....We're a bit crazy- we bought actual reenactment costumes to wear. They were quite pricey for Halloween costumes. I swear dh's costume budget doubles every year. We went from getting regular Halloween costumes to spending serious money on ours....

At least reenactment costumes are semi-educational! Especially if you get the kids involved.

The Star Wars costumes for DH and I, and DS1, were replica type, all handmade. Same thing, quite pricey! We were hoping to also wear them to Comic Con that year. Circumstances around DD's birth didn't allow us to make it, but they sure made for some awesome pics on Halloween.

Then there was the time we did Medieval costumes. Reenactment quality. We actually wore those for Ren-Faire, and are keeping them for our next visit to our regional Medieval Village that is open year round.

Some years we go big but we balance it by keeping things simple on the off years.

tinymama 08-03-2014 11:54 PM

Re: Halloween-Do YOU dress up?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzi (Post 17431623)
We go Halloween camping the weekend before. Everyone decorates their campers. Last year we did luigi's mansion, year before was a haunted cafe, and this year will be some sort of homecoming theme. Not sure if we will be zombies or what. So we all dress up for that. Actual Halloween just the kiddos dress up

I've never heard of Halloween Camping. We would probably get either rained out or blown away given our weather that time of year. I can imagine how fun it would be in warmer places, though!

jbug_4 08-04-2014 07:05 AM

Re: Halloween-Do YOU dress up?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tinymama (Post 17432306)
At least reenactment costumes are semi-educational! Especially if you get the kids involved.

The Star Wars costumes for DH and I, and DS1, were replica type, all handmade. Same thing, quite pricey! We were hoping to also wear them to Comic Con that year. Circumstances around DD's birth didn't allow us to make it, but they sure made for some awesome pics on Halloween.

Then there was the time we did Medieval costumes. Reenactment quality. We actually wore those for Ren-Faire, and are keeping them for our next visit to our regional Medieval Village that is open year round.

Some years we go big but we balance it by keeping things simple on the off years.

For our last Halloween party I did a medieval dress and dh dressed as a viking. You know whats funny- dh has colonial reenactment stuff because he use to do reenactments when we lived in Virginia. He has never worn it as a Halloween costume though. He used the shirt for a pirate costume but has never worn his whole colonial costume. Maybe I'll talk him into wearing it this year then I can get me a dress. We've tried to get dd to do colonial because we have stuff for her from living so close to Williamsburg but she only wants to wear it to play at home.

Suzi 08-04-2014 09:08 PM

Re: Halloween-Do YOU dress up?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tinymama (Post 17432309)
I've never heard of Halloween Camping. We would probably get either rained out or blown away given our weather that time of year. I can imagine how fun it would be in warmer places, though!

We have done it the last 4 years and its always been bearable weather. The last 4 Halloweens have been good weather, snow, rain, and ice. Nebraska weather is crappy 90% of the time but you really appreciate the good days those 10% of the time

Junipervt 08-04-2014 09:12 PM

Re: Halloween-Do YOU dress up?
 
kids do. we don't unless we are going to a costume party where we would look weird NOT in costume. I don't love dressing up. just makes me feel uncomfortable


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors