Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Formula Feeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   Baby's Only Organic is not for infants? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1499756)

zeotwoski 03-13-2013 07:13 PM

Baby's Only Organic is not for infants?

I'm just beginning research. I've BF'd the ones I can and used various mainstream formulas for the ones I can't, but am now more concerned about food choices in general and want to do the best I can for this little guy. I keep seeing the Baby's Only listed as a good option for an organic formula free of most of the stuff we'd like to avoid, but when I went to their website and read the details it says it's not intended for infants under 12 months. It says toddler formula at the top of the can label also...am I just not finding the right stuff or what's the deal?

Heather8183 03-13-2013 07:16 PM

They market it like that because they believe breast is best. I've called and they assure it's safe for infants...or you can compare the nutrition info on the cans :)

zeotwoski 03-13-2013 08:47 PM

Re: Baby's Only Organic is not for infants?

Ahh thank you. Then it goes back into the research mix... BTW AARGH!! frustrating stuff!

ashley84 03-13-2013 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heather8183 (Post 16392799)
They market it like that because they believe breast is best. I've called and they assure it's safe for infants...or you can compare the nutrition info on the cans :)

This & their regular formula doesn't have DHA/ARA in it. You can buy supplement packets of DHA/ARA to add to the formula if you feel it's necessary. They recently came out with a formula that includes DHA/ARA too.

The reason they leave DHA/ARA out is because the process by which it's obtained/manufactured isn't exactly organic. It's controversial. You can read about it on their website. If you are mostly breastfeeding and only supplementing with their formula, it's not necessary that your baby get DHA/ARA in his or her formula. If you are exclusively FFing, then you probably want to make sure your baby is getting some source of DHA/ARA. :goodvibes:

seacat 03-14-2013 01:02 PM

No, they are just promoting bfing for the first year of the baby's life. I needed to supplement my first at around eight months. If you compare the cans a typical infant formula and Baby's Only they are the same. They have a separate DHA and I think that they have a new formula that has the DHA in it, but it comes from eggs. So, you need to make sure LO doesn't have an egg sensitivity.

I really like the formula and if for some reason I wasn't able to BF a newbie I'd use this no question. Both boys have done well on it.

zeotwoski 03-14-2013 01:04 PM

Thank you. Yeah, I did read about the process on their website as well as an independent site, that's one of the reasons I'm leaning toward baby's only. This is for a FF only baby and I'd go with the one with DHA/ARA included. This baby is not legally mine so I'm kind of hesitant to use a formula labeled "toddler"...actually I think I didn't look at the actual can for the DHA one, off to check!

zeotwoski 03-14-2013 01:04 PM

Thank you. Yeah, I did read about the process on their website as well as an independent site, that's one of the reasons I'm leaning toward baby's only. This is for a FF only baby and I'd go with the one with DHA/ARA included. This baby is not legally mine so I'm kind of hesitant to use a formula labeled "toddler"...actually I think I didn't look at the actual can for the DHA one, off to check!

zeotwoski 03-14-2013 01:13 PM

"Nature’s One believes breast milk is the baby’s best organic option. Baby’s Only Organic is not intended for infants under 1-year of age unless specified by a healthcare professional. After formula feeding or breast feeding the first year, Baby’s Only Organic formula is a good choice. "

This is from their website on the dairy with DHA/ARA page. Says the same on the regular dairy page and somewhere else too. Why does it say to breast OR formula feed the first year THEN you can switch to Baby's Only? I guess I'll call them.

zeotwoski 03-14-2013 01:13 PM

"Nature’s One believes breast milk is the baby’s best organic option. Baby’s Only Organic is not intended for infants under 1-year of age unless specified by a healthcare professional. After formula feeding or breast feeding the first year, Baby’s Only Organic formula is a good choice. "

This is from their website on the dairy with DHA/ARA page. Says the same on the regular dairy page and somewhere else too. Why does it say to breast OR formula feed the first year THEN you can switch to Baby's Only? I guess I'll call them.

maddies.mom 03-25-2013 03:28 PM

I am looking to have this on hand in case my milk doesn't come in (never did with dd)... I won't use their dha though since it is an egg derivative... Nordic naturals has a 2 oz bottle that is safe for babies. I plan to use that if necessary.