Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Gluten free meal plan (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1131231)

2babiesndiaps 12-30-2010 12:11 PM

Gluten free meal plan

I'm running out of time on my to do lists before the end of the year. I need to get a monthly (or 2 week doubles) meal plan done that is gluten/nut free and mostly dairy free. I can sub a lot of diary free items. What are some easy inexpensive kid friendly ideas you use?. My kids don' t like food mixed(casseroles), but I'm slowly easing them into it. Any thoughts would be great!

justjacqueline 12-30-2010 12:42 PM

Re: Gluten free meal plan

I'm subbing to this. Not so much for my kids, but for me. I have psoriasis. I believe changing my diet will help. It's worth a shot anyway. I also think GF would help my weight loss. I've attempted it before but it's so hard for me to maintain. New year though...

2babiesndiaps 12-30-2010 01:22 PM

Some ideas I have:
chicken, rice, salad
chicken, rice, green veggie
refried beans, corn tacos, rice taco fixin's
bean corn tortillas
corn enchiladas ??
hot dogs corn and potato/mashed
potato bar, kidney beans/chili, broccoli, cheese sauce (homemade df) Brussel sprouts
Black bean burgers, homemade fries/frozen fries, green smoothies, carrots
Falafel, coconut yogurt dip,
Omelet/scrambled eggs, gf toast/bread
chicken fingers (rice flour), masked potatoes, lima beans, corn, green smoothie
stirfry and rice, carrot, onion, celery,etc
hawaiian hay stacks ( chicken rice, etc)
spagetti ( chinese rice noodle), gf bread, what protein- kids don't do meat balls
Tin foil dinners in the oven: Potatoes, carrots, onions, hamburger spices

snacks
applesauce, muffins, healthy cookies(hiding veggie puree)
some deserts to have to mix it up:
cranberry crustless pie

mich*mommy 12-30-2010 01:31 PM

Great ideas!

Make your own chicken nuggets with crushed cornflakes - very kid friendly. :)

Gillians makes WF/GF/DF frozen pizza dough - make calzones or pizza or roll up hotdogs or whatever in them. :)

Spaghetti (Tinkiyada is the best tasting IMO, but not sure if it's DF).

HTH!!

2babiesndiaps 12-31-2010 06:21 AM

thanks! anyone else?

irelandclover 12-31-2010 06:38 AM

We are newly gf/casein free and I have found that we can eat the same by subbing crtain gf flours for reg flour... There is a good cook book called The Gluten free girl and the chef. She gives really good advice on what flours to use, along with other substitutions. I copied that one section and have it taped to the inside of my cabinet door for quick reference.

Last night I made beef tips and gravy over rice. Instead of using flour or cornstarch to make my gravy. I used potato starch, it doesn't have a describable taste like corn starch can if you use too much. It just thickens very nicely and is gf.

I think it just takes a while to get it all figured out. Good luck mama, I am on the same road as you (:

I do have an awesome biscuit recipe I posted in another thread. I can repost here if you would like it.

Mummandherboys 03-28-2013 03:23 PM

Hey Mama, I just tried sending you a PM, but it said your inbox was full :) I would love to know more tips/ideas you might have for gluten free/diary free recipes!..I am newly GF/diary free and am in need of ideas for foods that I can make/buy without breaking the bank! I'd love to know your biscuit recipe... :)
Thanks Mama!

Quote:

Originally Posted by irelandclover (Post 11936616)
We are newly gf/casein free and I have found that we can eat the same by subbing crtain gf flours for reg flour... There is a good cook book called The Gluten free girl and the chef. She gives really good advice on what flours to use, along with other substitutions. I copied that one section and have it taped to the inside of my cabinet door for quick reference.

Last night I made beef tips and gravy over rice. Instead of using flour or cornstarch to make my gravy. I used potato starch, it doesn't have a describable taste like corn starch can if you use too much. It just thickens very nicely and is gf.

I think it just takes a while to get it all figured out. Good luck mama, I am on the same road as you (:

I do have an awesome biscuit recipe I posted in another thread. I can repost here if you would like it.

mamaspice 03-28-2013 03:55 PM

Savingdinner.com has a meal plan subscription with gluten free options if you are interested in having it done for you.

slimy72 03-28-2013 04:35 PM

I'll just put up some of what we've been eating. We are GF and while my mom is here we are also Dairy free.
Pad Tai (glass noodles with sauce, chicken and vegis stirfry)
Chicken rice soup
Taco Soup
Salisbury steak with spuds (recipe off skinny taste.com made with GF bread crumbs)
Mexican cassarole
tacos
Corned beef and cabbage with potatoes and carrots
Later in the week we're having
Mexican tortilla soup
Panda express knock off orange chicken and chow mein (using rice vermicilli noodles from the asian market)
Steak, asparagus and baked spuds
Ham mashed potatoes adn cauliflower
Beef and broccoli and ham fried rice
Bean soup wiht ham bone
Oh, and tonight we're having breakfast for dinner, GF sourdough pancakes (made with almond milk), sauasage, eggs, and cut up fruit.

we do a lot of asian and mexican food because it's so easy to make GF. And if you have a mexican food store or an asian market near you the prices at ours are amazing. $1.50 or less for a pack of GF noodles (asian) that would be $4 at the regular store. And cheap corn products at the mexican food market. Ours makes corn tortillas in house and don't make ANY flour products in house so it's a double bonus for us.

mel j 03-29-2013 07:25 AM

I've been doing gluten free... LO's love any kind of eggs (scrambled, boiled, quiches, as "crepes"), spaghetti squash (the latest favourite is spaghetti squash with plain crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce and chicken meatballs), yogurt, tomato cucumber salad, shepherd's pie, carrot ginger soup, butternut squash soup, cream of broccoli soup (usually with a potato to make it creamy) and anything with sweet potatoes. Oh they also love cauliflower "rice" (just use shredded cauliflower in place of rice.) I use coconut flour for cooking. We also really like coconut chicken nuggets... I just dredge cut up chicken breast in shredded coconut and sometimes a bit of olive oil or coconut oil and bake for 10-15 or so min. They love tacos too but I don't like using the taco shells too much. Fish is another favourite; salmon w/ quinoa and roasted broccoli or sardines over cauliflower "rice". They also like millet or quinoa as a hot cereal with just cinnamon & raisins (sometimes I'll add coconut oil.) They love rice too; rice & chicken or rice & beans. Oh and lentils are another favourite; honey baked lentils and lentil soup or just lentils w/ salt & pepper as a side.