Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Homemade Thread (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1140167)

Bethany89 01-13-2011 08:38 PM

Homemade Thread

Alright, so I would love a thread with all homemade recipes.. things like, that you could buy premade at the store, but instead, we make it at home. I love to find good recipes online and make things instead of buying them.

I know there is a ton out of there and a bunch of us have things to add to it. I hope to get this as a sticky!
I just included links to the websites with the recipe. Its easier to read and hopefully you'll find other things in those sites that you like as well.

Graham Crackers

Goldfish Crackers

Gummi Bears

Auntie Anne Pretzels

Bagels

Tater Tots

Hot Pockets

Spreadable Butter

Pumpkin Pie Spice

Almond Butter

Butter I never tried this recipe, but it looks super easy, maybe too easy? lol

Buttery Breadsticks

Fruit Roll-Ups

I hope you guys have some fun ones to try out, even really yummy bread recipes, please? I have tons of bread recipes, but I want to try one that I know will be good!

ctj101502 01-13-2011 09:47 PM

Re: Homemade Thread

WOW!! THank you for this!! How neat, had no clue about grahm crackers ect. YOUR SUCH A FUN MOM!!:thumbsup:

ladybuglove 01-14-2011 04:09 AM

Thanks for all the great links, I'd love to see other peoples sites too! I haven't tried this one yet but it sure looks good! :goodvibes:

Homemade Pop Tarts
http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/04/homemade-pop-tarts/

hsleonard 01-14-2011 04:13 AM

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!:thumbsup:

bellybellybuttons 01-14-2011 04:46 AM

Have you tried other fruits with the fruit roll ups?
I think I would love to do homemade snacks just to get rid of all the preservatives in the store bought ones.

Yum thanks for kicking me to get me moving on to a healthier 2011!

myfrugalfunlife 01-14-2011 07:29 AM

Best thread ever :mrgreen:
I've made the graham crackers before and my kids love them!

Here's some recipes that I love

cream of anything soup mix (you can mix the dry ingredients together and store in an airtight container)

apple butter (crock pot)

applesauce (crock pot)

barbecue sauce (hfcs FREE!)

chicken nuggets

no rise pizza crust

pizza sauce

Bisquick copy cat (I use white whole wheat flour for recipe and it works great) you also can store it in an airtight container

super easy cheesy garlic biscuits

brown sugar

Hot cocoa mix

whole wheat pancake mix (can store dry mix in an airtight container)

myfrugalfunlife 01-14-2011 07:35 AM

taco seasoning

Bethany89 01-14-2011 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctj101502 (Post 12042257)
WOW!! THank you for this!! How neat, had no clue about grahm crackers ect. YOUR SUCH A FUN MOM!!:thumbsup:

Thank you! :goodvibes: The graham crackers are so good and if you have kids, its fun to let them cut the shapes. Joanns has some really cute mini cookie cutters, like little hearts and noahs ark shapes so they come out like teddy grahams.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladybuglove (Post 12042905)
Thanks for all the great links, I'd love to see other peoples sites too! I haven't tried this one yet but it sure looks good! :goodvibes:

Homemade Pop Tarts
http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/04/homemade-pop-tarts/

I have tried that one, thank you for posting it! I forgot about it. It turns out really good, you just have to be sure not to stuff too much or they overflow lol still very good!

I am going to have this as a sticky, and then going to keep adding and searching. Basically, I have came to the conclusion anything you buy at the store, you can make at home! You just need a recipe!

Bethany89 01-14-2011 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bellybellybuttons (Post 12042941)
Have you tried other fruits with the fruit roll ups?
I think I would love to do homemade snacks just to get rid of all the preservatives in the store bought ones.

Yum thanks for kicking me to get me moving on to a healthier 2011!

Strawberries and apricots work well. I want to try peaches. I think anything would work. Apples probably would too.

blackberry75 01-14-2011 12:08 PM

Pancake/Waffle mix
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup flax seed meal
2 cups buttermilk blend powder
1/2 cup sugar
8 teaspoons baking powder
4 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons salt
ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR PANCAKES:
1 egg
1 cup water
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR WAFFLES:
3 eggs, separated
2 cups water
1/4 cup vegetable oil

In large bowl mix 1st eight ingredients. Store in airtight container for up to six months.

To prepare pancakes: Heat oven to 350. In a medium bowl, beat egg, water and oil. Whisk in 1-1/2 cups pancake/waffle mix. Let stand for 5 minutes. Pour batter pour in a greased/floured baking sheet. Bake 5-10mins, keeping a very close eye on the batter. It will cook quickly and vary greatly depending on humidity and ambient temp that day. They are done when light gold on top or toothpick in thickest part comes out clean. Cut into 12 slices for small pancakes, or 6 for large pancakes.

To prepare waffles: In a large bowl, beat egg yolks, water and oil. Stir in 2-1/2 cups pancake/waffle mix just until moistened. In a mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into the batter. Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown. Yield: 13 waffles (about 4 inches) per batch

Biscuits
2c all purpose flour
1tbsp baking powder
1tsp salt
1/3c oil
2/3c butter milk

Preheat oven to 375

Mix dry ingredients, Use fork to mix in oil. Stir in buttermilk till dough comes together. From this point you can roll the dough out and use a glass or biscuit cutter or simply drop onto greased cookie sheet, it's up to you. That's why I like this recipe it can go either way. Triple the recipe and you can store the dry ingredients in the fridge, or roll/cut out some, separate with wax paper and store in the fridge for up to a week. They don't freeze well unfortunately.

German Puff Pancakes w/ lemon glaze
6 eggs
1c whole wheat flour
1tbsp flaxseed meal
1c milk
1/4tsp salt
1/2tsp vanilla extract
2tbsp salted butter

Preheat oven to 375. Place pie pan in oven to heat. Allow milk and eggs to warm to room temperature for best results.
Whisk eggs, flour, flaxseed meal, milk, salt and vanilla until all lumps are gone, you can also use a blender to mix ingredients. You should have a very thin batter.
Take pie pan out of oven and add 2tbsp butter, return to oven for approx. 5 min. You want the butter to be bubbling but not browning when you add batter. Add 1 to 1 1/2c batter. Bake until puffed and no longer moist in the center, approx. 20-25mins.

Lemon Glaze
1/2c sugar
1-3tbsp lemon juice
2tbsp water (butter can be substituted for a more decedent glaze)

In small sauce pan warm water and sugar until sugar starts to dissolve. Add lemon juice 1 tbsp at a time, carefully tasting after each addition to see if it's to your liking. The glaze will be lava hot, so when I say carefully I mean carefully! Brush glaze over warm Puff Pancake and sprinkle with your favorite fruit, diced finely if it's large fruit. Our family likes pomegranate seeds, strawberries, oranges or peaches when they're in season.

Sorry I don't have any links, these are recipes I've been fiddling w/ and only slightly resemble the original. Bethany89's graham cracker recipe sounds better than the one I use, so I'm gonna try that first before sharing mine. No point in having 2 recipes for the same thing if hers is better:thumbsup:.

Add
Bethany89's graham cracker recipe is much, much better than the one I've been using. It's so good that I took mine out of the Rolodex and replaced it with hers.