Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   We need a vegetarian meals thread! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1174887)

deanaparthur 03-11-2011 12:23 PM

We need a vegetarian meals thread!

Just post a few of your favorites/go to meals once in a while here? There's enough vegheads on this board that we can get a decent reference list put together if we put a tiny bit of effort!

Ok, I'm just going to post every few days of meals here. Nothing exciting, but DH and DS are super picky and love these.

Asian Rice
4 cups cooked instant brown rice
1 tsp oil
4 eggs, scrambled
1 bag Steamfresh Asian Stirfry Vegetables

Cook rice on stove per directions. Meanwhile, pop the steamfresh veggies in the microwave. In skillet scramble eggs in the oil. When done, add rice and veggies to eggs. Mix well. DH likes soy sauce on his, I prefer just a pinch of salt.

Cabbage Bean Soup
Half a head of green cabbage (small)
1/2 cup frozen diced green peppers
1 cup frozen sliced carrots
1/2 cup uncooked rice
1 can Pinto Beans
1 can Garbanzo Beans
Just Tomatoes Roasted Garlic
Vegetable Soup Dry Mix
1/2 tsp gr cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground ginger (or use fresh if you have it)
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried thyme leaf
1 Tbsp soy sauce
Fresh ground black pepper to taste

Put 6-8c water in stockpot, add rice and vegetable soup dry mix.
In a skillet add vegetables and spices to a tbsp of oil. Sautee for 5-7 minutes. Add to stockpot. Drain and rinse beans, add to stockpot. Let simmer till cabbage and carrots are tender. Add soy sauce/pepper to taste when done. Onions are great but if you add them be sure to up the ginger or add seaweed - onions add to the gassiness of the soup.

Oriental Cabbage Salad
half head of cabbage (small), chopped
4 green onions, chopped
2 pkgs oriental ramen noodles, smashed
4 tablespoons each of: toasted almonds, sesame seeds and sunflower seeds.
Mix together add dressing

Dressing:
1 pkg Oriental seasoning from noodles
1/2 cup oil
2 Tbls. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. soy sauce
1 Tbls. white vinegar

HMDocsLady 03-11-2011 12:53 PM

Re: We need a vegetarian meals thread!

LOL! I was just comming over here to see if there was a good veghead recipe thread going! Our goal for this year is to move from a moderate meat consumption house to a lacto-ovo veg house.

Other than the usual pasta with various sauces, we love these:

crepes with ratatouille and parm cheese
corn and potato chowder
vegetarian chili with corn bread

I need more bean ideas though. I will always reach for anything to make something italian before I remember that I should be feeding the fam some veg protein. And what makes it worse is that DH can't eat the soy fake meat products, they don't agree with him. I love them and they have been a staple until he told me he just can't eat them anymore.

Laina83 03-14-2011 06:55 PM

If you're new to veggie food, tofu can be a big hurdle, but this is a great recipe! It sounds a little weird at first but its really tasty.

1 package of firm (or extra firm tofu) cut into 1/2" cubes
1-2 carrots peeled and diced
1-2 ribs of celery diced
1/2 onion diced
1/2 cup mayo (or veganaise if you want a low cholesterol/vegan version)
1t of curry powder (or more if you want!)
3T of raisins (optional, but really good-trust me!)
Salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients together and serve on bread (or wrap) with lettuce!

angelika13 03-14-2011 09:10 PM

My whole blog is vegetarian, link in my signature. This is my new favorite winter salad.

Endive and Avocado Salad

2 endive heads, cut the bottom off
2-3 radishes sliced
1/2 avocado, cubed
drizzle of olive oil
drizzle of citrus vinegar
(mine is an orange muscat champagne vinegar)
1 tablespoon of gorgonzola crumbles

You can serve this salad two ways. For visual impact lay the endive leaves and fill them with the avocado, gorgonzola and radish. This method does necessitate a knife while eating. Drizzle with olive oil and a light citrus vinegar, then sprinkle with salt and pepper. If you don't have citrus vinegar, use a white wine vinegar and a squeeze of orange juice. You can also serve this as a chopped salad, which is how I usually eat it. Just as delicious but not quite as pretty.

http://www.plantfoodfabulous.com/201...ado-salad.html

ashmomof4 03-15-2011 12:22 PM

Our favorite veg meal is black bean burritos. I cook down the black beans with spicy tomatoes & chili & cumin, and we eat them on wheat tortillas with fresh pico, guac, and baby spinach.

We love spicy black bean & corn tortilla soup, too. :)

3rockstars 03-15-2011 08:21 PM

Honey Baked Lentils: http://happyfoody.blogspot.com/2006/...d-lentils.html

I gave this recipe to my friend who gave it to her parents who like lentils and they RAVED about it. It's DELISH!

petuniajo 03-17-2011 08:34 PM

Here's one of my faves--Curried lentil soup:

2T Olive Oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
Baking potatoes, peeled and chopped (I used 2 small ones)
Carrots, peeled and chopped
1 bag frozen cut spinach
2T Curry powder
40-50 ounces of broth
2c red lentils, rinsed and drained

Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, potato, and carrot and sauté until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Mix in curry powder and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

Add broth and lentils and bring to boil. Cover pot, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until lentils are *almost* done (I checked them after 20 minutes, and they may have been overcooked but I don’t mind squishy lentils. The red ones seem to cook really fast). Add spinach and cook until lentils are done (I did about another 5-10 minutes). Enjoy your crazy delicious soup!

rhody 03-18-2011 08:03 PM

http://www.vegetarianslowcooker.com/

I have made the french onion soup (and carmelized onions) and the satay. Both were delicious and dh ate them both, which is amazing as dh subsists on protein bars and whatever looks good from work. Until recently, he hasn't touched my cooking. I'm planning to try the Thai Tofu curry soon. Oh and for the satay, I did just about everything possible to ruin it, lol, and it still came out delicious.
I tried the Ooglash too and it was yummy!

HMDocsLady 03-29-2011 04:35 PM

Ok Veg friends - I am looking for more bean recipies - I have a TON of dried beans and I need to use them up....

justineybean 03-29-2011 05:46 PM

Mexican food is always good with us - lots of beans and veggies made various ways. :) My favorite is zucchini enchiladas. Yum! In skillet, cook zucchini, bell pepper (I prefer yellow or orange for this recipe), and onion. Add cheese and spices (cumin, pepper, basil, oregano). I use a canned enchilada sauce and cover the bottom of the baking dish. Then fill the tortillas with the zucchini mix, roll, lay in pan, cover with more enchilada sauce and cheese. Bake until cheese is melted. :thumbsup: This is from Enchanted Broccoli Forest (Moosewood) cookbook.