Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Bleaching PUL? Will it ruin it? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1178991)

punkinmomma 03-17-2011 11:07 PM

Bleaching PUL? Will it ruin it?

I have a bunch of BumGenius 4.0 diapers. They say to add 1/4 cup of bleach once a month. I've yet to do this because of everything I've read about bleach ruining your diapers. Now I have a bit of funk and wonder if it's time to add some bleach??

Has anyone else had problems bleaching diapers? I know it's fine for inserts or PFs, but I'm VERY worried about the diaper itself. Will it bleach out the color of my BGs?

And I can't just bleach the inserts, because it's the suede lining of the diaper itself that seems to be stinky...

shreck 03-17-2011 11:17 PM

Re: Bleaching PUL? Will it ruin it?

I've done it many times and never had a problem with it ruining or fading pul. We have mostly prefolds with pul covers but also some BGOS, and they always come out great with bleaching. I only use a little bit of bleach(1/8-1/4C?) in a full load every few washes.

LeahSylina 03-17-2011 11:18 PM

I am pretty sure that it is safe to bleach BG, they wouldn't include it in their washing instructions if it wasn't. I don't use bleach on my other diaper covers/pockets though and only very sparingly on my inserts if I can't get the stink out any other way. Bleach really isn't good for PUL and I've noticed that my inserts that have been bleached are rougher than the ones that haven't been. That said, I'd rather have my inserts smell fresh than be soft - they go inside the pocket after all so the softness really isn't all that important.

I have 4 BG 4.0 diapers and they get stinkier faster than any other diapers I own, the microfiber inserts are the worst but the covers hold stink too. I have avoided bleaching them very often (though I have a couple times) because I really don't like using bleach on my diapers. But I think I'm going to have to start bleaching the BG once a month according to their instructions. We just switched to Tide which is helping immensely with our stink problems but the BG still faintly stink when peed in, as do a few of my other inserts. So maybe I'll bleach the inserts and the BG covers once a month.

If you have an HE machine I would cut the recommended amount of bleach in half.

whiteyacht 03-17-2011 11:22 PM

I bleach my PUL all the time. Use no more than 1/4 cup for a full TLer & you'll be fine!

MinkaK 03-17-2011 11:24 PM

I have used it with no problems, just a cap full can really help.

Bethany89 03-17-2011 11:38 PM

I use bleach in every single wash because its the only thing that keeps stink away for us. I have no problem with it and have been doing so for awhile and my PUL is fine. No worries!

My Sweet Blessings 03-17-2011 11:41 PM

I'm a bleacher, too. not all the time, but on a pretty regular basis.

ajbailey89 03-18-2011 11:22 PM

I'm a bleacher. I do it about once a month, maybe more. And only if we are having stink or stain issues. But I haven't had to in months now. :D

marisolstice 03-19-2011 02:32 PM

I bleach everything (diapers, PUL, nylon) every load. Four months of bleach and going strong. No stink, no rash, no ruined anything. Go for it!

mamahen 03-19-2011 03:18 PM

:giggle: I feel like this is bleachers anonymous thread. I was just wondering myself if it'd be better for diaper longevity to add some bleach on a fairly regular basis or to switch to Tide.