Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   2011 Due Daters (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   Our journey home... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1221720)

Andbabymakes2 06-03-2011 01:20 PM

Our journey home...

Well, I don't know if anyone is interested, but much like the progression of our pg's we are transforming a home at the same time! :giggle:

This is the house we were livingng in. Just your plain ol' split entry.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...p1010008-1.jpg

We moved out in Aug, and moved in with MIL until it's finished.
Since there are so many pics so far, I am starting an album on PB so I can keep updating as time goes on and progress is made. Please feel free to check back as I update it. I'd like to add that this house was converted at some point into 2 apt's, 1 up 1 down. It was mostly converted back more recently.

HOUSE PICS The password is construction.

WARNING!The pics are kinda scary so far! :blush::giggle2: and the beginning pics are the before shots, with early during pics as well. So far we have installed new windows upstairs, and a first coat on the exterior, but I picked a darker color (still yellow) to go on next. Hopefully this weekend they will be painting ext and trim.

Dh has gutted the kitchen and bathroom as well as removed the floors. There is an icky sunroom that will have to be almost completely redone too.

The house will be taken down to studs, floor jacked up in spots, new plumbing, new wiring, heating will have some updates and AC added. (dh is an HVAC guy)
We will add insulation to the whole house, new windows downstairs, opening up the staircase, adding a 1/2 bath upstairs, new drywall everywhere, completely new kitchen,and bthrm, new paint obviously, and refinishing the original harwoods downstairs. Carpet upstairs though. We are going to try and save the doors and refinish them. The front porch will eventually wrap around the side of the house and a nice sized deck will be added to the back of the house too. Oh and a free standing 2 car garage will be built someday on the back of the property and the whole thing landscaped. :greedy::jawdrop::holysheep::thud::tired:

estradaamyl 06-03-2011 01:53 PM

Re: Our journey home...

I'm so glad you warned us, because some of those pics are scary! But from the sounds of it, you guys are doing a complete remodel. Thanks for posting I would love to see how it progresses. :thumbsup:

Andbabymakes2 06-03-2011 02:15 PM

LOL! Yeah, the really scary part was that ppl were living there up to a year ago. EWWWW! I cried the first time I walked through it- thinking wth are we going to do with this hot mess! This has been a rental for 25+yrs. But I'm past that and can see the potential of what it could be.

heyuitsme 06-03-2011 02:40 PM

It has sooo much potential!!!! seems like some good spaces and the windows are nice and big.

It is sad what people will live in. Some of the houses we looked at before buying this one were horrible. We were living in a different part of the state where the average price for a home was a solid 30-40,000 more than the average for the state of wisconsin. we were looking at absolute dumps (like you could see through the roof to the outside or had to park in your neighbor's driveway cuz you didn't have one) and they were still 40-60,000 over our bugdet and a good 45 minutes of country driving away from work. We started looking in manitowoc (where the average price for a home is 50-60,000 LESS than the state average) and suddenly, we had over 60 options! I was so excited to be able to be "picky" and only searched for 3 bedroom and 1.5 baths and still had over 30 options.

I think that house is going to be great for you guys!!! I can totally see it (I watched way too much HGTV at my parent's house :giggle:...which is good cuz then I could see the potential in places). And if DH ishandy, go for it! Wayne and I like to think we can do simple things, but the 10 hours and near swearing it takes to get it done, we could have had a pro do it in 30 minutes. :lostit: Well, not quite that bad, but close.

I forgot, how far away is the new place from your old?

Andbabymakes2 06-03-2011 03:03 PM

I watch HGTV nonstop sometimes, so yeah, I am all over what could be! We will be moving about 2 hrs away. Kids aren't in school yet so that helps. The one downside is that it puts us 3 hrs from my mom- about 1/2hr longer drive than we have now. It's a small town, and not really near anything, but there's a small college there. My MIL and BIL + his family are there, so we won't be alone anymore.

We were trying to find a rental in the town my mom lives in (or around here) but everything was a pos and $$$. The house down there is owned by dh's brother and once it's all done (est about $10k for the remodel) we will pay them about $15k and be the new owners. With the situation we are in now, being foreclosure on this house, it's a great option, and we will be using dh's 401k to pay for everything. Not the most ideal, but hey, gotta do what you gotta do. I've already bought all the paint for the house. Took advantage of Home Depot's memorial day sale and saved almost $200! All the work will be done by dh and BIL, and some extra help now and then from SIL's nephews.

Glad you guys found an area that you could afford and meet your needs. Sometimes we have to compromise some of the things we want to get what we need.

heyuitsme 06-03-2011 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andbabymakes2 (Post 13069851)
I watch HGTV nonstop sometimes, so yeah, I am all over what could be! We will be moving about 2 hrs away. Kids aren't in school yet so that helps. The one downside is that it puts us 3 hrs from my mom- about 1/2hr longer drive than we have now. It's a small town, and not really near anything, but there's a small college there. My MIL and BIL + his family are there, so we won't be alone anymore.

We were trying to find a rental in the town my mom lives in (or around here) but everything was a pos and $$$. This house is owned by dh's brother and once it's all done (est about $10k for the remodel) we will pay them about $15k and be the new owners. With the situation we are in now, being foreclosure on this house, it's a great option, and we will be using dh's 401k to pay for everything. Not the most ideal, but hey, gotta do what you gotta do. I've already bought all the paint for the house. Took advantage of Home Depot's memorial day sale and saved almost $200! All the work will be done by dh and BIL, and some extra help now and then from SIL's nephews.

Glad you guys found an area that you could afford and meet your needs. Sometimes we have to compromise some of the things we want to get what we need.

we LOVE it here. we had lived here after college for a couple years, then moved away when wayne lost his factory job. so, moving back, we've got friends in the area, a great church and just a nice town all around. population is about 32,000, so there's a walmart (we practically live there), shopko, kohls, lowes, menards, festival foods, cops...everything you'd need, but with a nice small town feel. 35 minutes away is Green Bay which has a mall and fun resturaunts. an hour away is Appleton, with an even bigger mall and a couple cloth diaper places near there.

so true, you gotta do what you gotta do. when we first moved here, wayne was actually taking a slight demotion. when people heard we were buying a home and relocating for his job, they assumed he was moving up and gettign some sort of management position. "ummm, actually, the housing market is better there and ... wayne is actually...going to be...{mutter} a cashier." We were very confident in our move, and while not everyone would understand, it was really "A God Thing" as our pastor's wife likes to put it. Everything just sort of came together.

It's an older house, so there were things like carpet in the bathroom (who does that? oh yeah, 70/80 year old home owners:lostit:), dropped ceilings, and live wires hidden behind wallpaper (I think they had a son who thought he knew what he was doing...but clearly didn't :giggle:). each year we pick a project and slowly but surely it is coming along. last year was get a shower on the main floor. the only shower was in the scary, low ceiling basement and, I swear, it was the kind of shower you send your kids to when they are being absolute beasts. "you've been naught, it's time to take.....A SHOWER!!!!!" (dramatic organ music plays with high-pitched female screams int he background).:roflmbo: well, not THAT bad, but very close. this year was new carpet in our room and elijah's room. next year, a dishwasher!!! :dishwash:
ahh, clean dishes.

no more this: :dishes: (she should be fuming and pulling hair out simlutanious to washing dishes for a true representation of me. :lostit:) For some reason, I cannot stand to do dishes. I think it started while I was in Kenya. the college classmate of mine did the cooking and I did the dishes. she was a good cook, but i swear she used every pot and pan in the place...and we never had running water, had to store water in two large drums in our kitchen. it was so much work to conserve water, that trying to wash a huge pile of dishes with just a large mixing bowl's worth of water was a real pain.

anyway...nice "chatting" with you and I am so happy for you guys. can't want to see more pics and the progress.

isn't HGTV addicting!?! we don't have cable now, but when we visit my parents, I stay up so late watching tv it's embarrasing.:blush::giggle2:

Andbabymakes2 06-03-2011 04:40 PM

I just got HGTV back! Oh how I missed it! My dh will be taking a sort of demotion as well but I don't think it's that big of a deal. Pop of Chanute was less than 9000 2yrs ago, and there is a Wal-Mart, but that's it! I think it's an hour drive to get to anything. But only about 2 hrs to Kansas City for anything we need.
I'm actually looking forward to finding a church down there. I've worked wknds for 10+ yrs now and this will be the first time I won't be!

I wish this house was one that we could have moved into and done work as time and money allowed, but as you see, it was not safe for children or anyone for that matter!

2&2 06-03-2011 09:05 PM

Wow is all I can say! I can not wait to see the finished project!!! I wil say a pray for you, we finished off our basement during my last pregnancy and I thought I was going to lose it. We would love to add another room in our loft, but I have to wait until after the baby gets here.

You could start your own t.v. show something about Creating inside and out!

Andbabymakes2 06-05-2011 01:28 PM

added a few pics of the outside getting the second coat of paint plus trim around the windows and doors. We will have to replace most of the trim in the future but at least it looks better for now. All the doors will be replaced soon though. dh's brother is buying those for us!

heyuitsme 06-05-2011 03:22 PM

love the yellow! such a nice cheery color.