Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Weaning Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   I want to get serious about weaning (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1413423)

Rdesonia 06-29-2012 09:33 PM

I want to get serious about weaning

DD will be 1 in 2 weeks! My goal was to BF a year! She is on solid food and takes a sippy. The problem is she still nurses EVERY 1 1/2 to 2 hours. She wakes up most nights to nurse. (Usually between 3 and 5 am. ) If DH gets up and rocks her/changes diaper, she will go back to sleep in 5 minutes. IF I get up, she will nurse for 30 minutes to an hour. (yes! an hour! So I know it is comfort nursing) Since DH works and I'm a SAHM.... I usually get up at night during the week.

I can't seem to space out the nursing sessions. She will fuss at me "Ma ma ma ma " till I bf her. Food, sippy cups , playing with toys, going for a walk, watching Baby Einstein... nothing distracts her for very long and the "Ma ma ma ma ma" starts again. If I'm holding her, she will rip at my shirt,grab/pinch my breasts, or try to eat through my shirt if I don't feed her right away.

Obviously, she is not going to be weaned on her birthday. Even DH, who was "1 year only and not a day after", has said she is not ready to give it up. I have no idea how to gradually wean her and space out the feedings. (I cut my son off cold turkey at 6 months and that was horrible!)

We are not doing bottles anymore (She did poorly with all that we tried... gagging, choking, etc). I have several types of sippy cups. She drinks best from cheapo "take and toss" kind. She spills a lot with the soft spout sippy cups. (she chews it ) She also can drink from an open cup with help.

I really REALLY want to be done. She has a high palate so I'm sore all the time. (Nipple shields only made it worse because she wanted to chew them. :banghead:) She bites, rakes her teeth, or tries to roll, bounce, or other crazy acrobatics while latched on and that doesn't help when I'm already in pain.

Any advise on spacing things out during the day?

Rdesonia 06-29-2012 09:45 PM

Re: I want to get serious about weaning

PS. If I pump... she will drink the sippy and right after want to nurse. So that didn't work.

Bhavana 09-10-2012 02:23 AM

Your LO is at a stage wherein she wont even understand any story you make up! Can you distract her enough that she feeds only before sleeping. Like before her nap/night, and when you want her to go back to sleep. Maybe you could do this for the next 2-3mos and then day-wean her?

UmmKira 09-20-2012 09:37 AM

Is there someone who can help you in the day to watch her for a little bit to space out the feedings? Sometimes it feels like they can't be distracted by the one who provides the milk.

Sent from my phone using DS Forum... Typos complements of Swype

VeganCupcake 09-20-2012 09:54 AM

I would plan a few days to a week during which you are very busy and rarely at home during the hours when you want to cut down on her nursing--go to the park a lot, do lots of play dates, do lots of exciting and wonderful things. That will be more likely to distract her and it may help to get her out of the habit of nursing during those hours.

Then you can do the "don't sit down" method thereafter--don't sit down during the hours when you don't want her to nurse, particularly in the spots where you usually nurse her, if you have some favorite nursing chairs.

I would just start with a few hours in the morning or afternoon, and when she's into a pattern of less nursing during those times, try adding more times of reduced nursing. It will be a long process, but I think it will be gentler on you and her overall.

Rdesonia 11-20-2012 12:04 AM

I'm still nursing her... She's just isn't willing to wean. (I will leave for 5 hours and the second she sees me..... "Ma ma ma ma" starts) She mostly refuses milk in a sippy cup. Being out of the house doesn't help. It doesn't matter where we are ... if she is hungry.

Thankfully, DH is very supportive of DD. He said a million times.... her last feeding was going to be her 1st birthday... Now, he says, "Honey, give it time. She just isn't ready. She needs you." (He doesn't think she will get enough liquids if I stop)

I can't seem to space out the day time feedings BUT I don't nurse her to sleep at night. She is awake (fed and changed) and just falls asleep without a fuss. She is now sleeping through the night! I'm working on spacing out the 1st feeding by giving her food and a sippy. I also am switching up her cups... (giving her a straw sippy, then an open cup, then a take and toss, then a soft silicone top kind) This at least makes it interesting enough that she will drink a little each time it is offered.

Rdesonia 02-14-2013 01:12 AM

She just turned 19 months... still not weaned... still nursing every 2 hours during the day.

I seriously am ready. Help?

Arabesque 02-14-2013 03:35 AM

No advice, but just wanted to offer hugs. Weaning DD hasn't gone as easily as I'd hoped. I honestly think the only way I can get her to stop is if I leave for a week. Hmm...

MarieSeeking 02-14-2013 04:08 AM

I think nursing manners would make your life easier. She can learn patience and not to pinch you. She isn't going to like it when you walk away from her (mine screamed at me) but she will catch on REAL quickly.

At one year, I started just nursing DD before bed and when she woke up for the morning (she still woke up at night at that point but stopped when se realized she wasn't going to nurse). I closed the milk parlor every other part of the day. Meaning tight shirts tucked in and no options to pull boob out. Yes, it sucks for everyone. But she will learn to cope. Not every one agrees. But limiting supply and requiring nursing manners made nursing life MUCH more enjoyable.

Rdesonia 02-14-2013 03:28 PM

If you notice... I first started this thread in June 2012 (When she was 11 months and she is now 19 months old). So yeah... we have worked on no biting, pinching, acrobatics. She normally will lay down to nurse in my lap. She is not allowed to continue if she bites, pinches, or starts to hop around like a little monkey. I'm still sore at every nursing so I think it's time. I feel like I "did my time".

Dh is off for the next 2 days plus the weekend plus the 18th for Presidents day. (So 5 days) It's 2pm here and she has not nursed yet today! I'm staying mostly out of her sight and DH is pushing fluids and sippy cups. I'm hoping to wean her cold turkey this weekend. I feel really bad about doing it this way. I would have preferred a gradual wean but all attempts to do so have failed. I obviously feel bad but so far she has not cried for me. She seems very happy playing with daddy and has not "Ma Ma Ma" or done the milk sign (sign language) yet. Dh is keeping her super busy and if she fusses just a little takes her outside to play to distract her. (It's in the 60's and sunny) I have not held her or picked her up at all today. (Which is crazy weird for me as I'm a SAHM and normally her primary caregiver.)

So Happy Valentine's day to me.... that was part of my V-day present. Dh staying home and I get 5 days off from taking care of her. (My boobs ache! )