Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Home Birth? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1436832)

NappyKnitter 08-27-2012 02:06 PM

Home Birth?

My husband and I both REALLY want to have a home birth! We were sold after seeing all the wonderful photos of couples holding there newborn babies at home. Also, you can't film at hospital births anymore, and i really want to be able to. I also think it will be more comfortable to breastfeed and cloth diaper if i am at home. But i have a few questions!

1. How does your child get a birth certificate/ss card?
2. Does insurance cover the costs? (I have blue cross blue shield of alabama)
3. how does prenantal/postpartum care work?

I live in Cullman, Alabama, and am having a hard time finding a midwife. There is an alternative birth center near me which i am considering as well.

RainandRedemption 08-27-2012 02:13 PM

Re: Home Birth?

Your midwife should be able to help you with how to obtain a BC in your state. It's hard, you just have to fill out the paperwork, have it notarized and send it in. I'm not sure about insurance covering the costs, but I doubt it! Good news is that a home birth is usually WAY less expensive than a hospital birth. My home birth cost us $1500 for the prenatal care, postnatal care and the attendance at birth, and our midwife let us pay whatever we could afford, whenever we could afford it.

I recommend a home birth over a birthing center birth. Birthing at home was much easier for me, I was much more comfortable. You might want to find out the laws on home birthing in your state. We lived in a state for a while where it was illegal for a midwife to attend a homebirth. You could still find someone to attend in that state but it was very difficult.

nonipie 08-27-2012 02:14 PM

I'm pretty sure the midwife would be able to help with #1 and you can get the SS card yourself. Again the midwife and/or BC would be dealing with #3. #2 will depend and you will have to find out on your own through your policy. Here none of it was covered by insurance. Out of pocket for prenatal through PP follow-up care is about $3K.

Leah52 08-27-2012 02:26 PM

Good luck finding someone in Alabama. I believe direct entry midwives are illegal and little to no CNM's will deliver at home. Not trying to discourage you and I have had 4 home births so I'm not anti-home birth at all, it's just not a good state to try in.

Psychomom 08-27-2012 02:29 PM

1. How does your child get a birth certificate/ss card? My midwife took care of the birth certificate. We applied for a SSN afterwards, but I don't remember how. I remember we had to physically go to the SS office and have a couple forms of identification for our newborn, one of which was a page from his very short medical record at a pediatrician's office. It wasn't a huge ordeal and easy to take care of.

2. Does insurance cover the costs? (I have blue cross blue shield of alabama) Mine did not. However, the insurance we had at the time had a $6K deductible, so a homebirth saved our family money (no complications, no transfer, etc.)

3. how does prenantal/postpartum care work? I had scheduled prenatals at the same time I would have with an OB/GYN. In my state, it's required to see a CNM twice during pregnancy, once in the first trimester and once around 36 weeks. (My midwife was licensed by NARM but not a CNM.) All my prenatals, with the exception of the two CNM visits, were at my midwife's house. For postpartum visits, my midwife stayed with me hours after the birth, visited me within 24 hours and then again at 1 week, and for my 6 week postpartum visit I went to her house.

Rdesonia 08-27-2012 02:38 PM

Many moms in your situation go to "The Farm". http://www.thefarmmidwives.org/

Ever heard of Ina May? She started the Farm. I'm not sure if it is too far ...It's about a 2 hour drive from you.

songbird516 08-27-2012 02:50 PM

Loved my home birth and wouldn't plan doing it any other way. I hope you can find someone to help you! Our state is not too hard to find someone, but my insurance didn't cover it and I'm still paying for my birth from 5 months ago!

KaseyW 08-27-2012 03:00 PM

#1 - My midwives took care of both. They had us fill out the paperwork and then they submitted it for us (one of our midwives is a notary so we didn't have to do much)

#2 - I think it depends on your midwife. we have blue cross blue shield in CT and it covered both of our home births. My midwives took care of all the paperwork with that too. My sister's midwife had them pay her out of pocket and then helped them with the claim afterwards - I believe they got reimbursed for all of it.

#3 - prenatal care was going in once a month (my midwife has an office in her house) for check ups then after 36weeks you go in once a week. At 35/36 weeks they did a home visit. our schedule for postpartum care was: the day after birth a midwife came to check on both me and the baby in home, 2 days after that she came back to do PKU and check us again (making sure nursing is going well and keeping tabs on bleeding), 2 weeks we went to her home office for check up and baby's hearing test. At 4 weeks we're taking our LO to the pediatrician. Then at 6 weeks I go back for a check up.

Good luck mama! We had 2 wonderful home birth experiences! It is the best to be snuggled in your own bed, with your family, after you give birth :-)

zandj 08-27-2012 03:01 PM

BCBS didn't cover ours so it was $3K for prenatal, delivery and after care. Almost got it paid off, just in time!

melilo 08-27-2012 03:07 PM

ooh, I would love to deliver at the farm, lucky you it's fairly close.

My insurance will cover my mw, just depends on your plan. She codes everything the same way an OB would. She's even going to get my doula covered!