Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   When to stop (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1438813)

kaia.aline 09-01-2012 08:41 PM

When to stop

Waking my dd up to nurse? My dd is 1 month old and right now about half of the time I am waking her up to nurse at 3hrs and then the rest of the time she is waking herself up every 2-2.5 hrs to nurse. Right now it has been 3.5hrs since she last nursed is that ok? I really want to stop waking her up and I'm not too worried about my supply since I now have an oversupply after a really rough start. The only thing I'm super concerned with is that I'm block feeding her (2 sessions for my right side and then 1 session for my left side to make sure she gets enough hindmilk) and I want to make sure her sleeping longer doesn't effect that.

SarahS12 09-01-2012 10:33 PM

I stopped waking DS to eat when he had regained back to his original birth weight. I would say as long as LO is gaining well and there aren't any other issues, I would stop. Did the ped tell you to keep waking during the night?

kaia.aline 09-01-2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahS12
I stopped waking DS to eat when he had regained back to his original birth weight. I would say as long as LO is gaining well and there aren't any other issues, I would stop. Did the ped tell you to keep waking during the night?

At her 2 week appt the ped was very happy with her weight gain and said to just keep doing what I was doing. So while she didn't specifically say to wake her I kinda took it that way?

tibeca 09-02-2012 07:11 AM

Re: When to stop

I don't wake babies at night unless they are having weight gain issues. I DO wake during the day, to discourage long sleep cycles (in hopes they'll save those for night time).

ulawolf 09-02-2012 07:52 AM

So stopped waking baby after 2 weeks. Unless they stop gaining or start losing i would stop waking a baby after they are back to birth weight. Babies are pretty good at letting you know they are hungry. I now dream feed once a night when she starts to get antsy

l_Kimmie_l 09-02-2012 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tibeca (Post 15627099)
I don't wake babies at night unless they are having weight gain issues. I DO wake during the day, to discourage long sleep cycles (in hopes they'll save those for night time).

I do not wake night sleeping babies. I cosleep so my babies sleep through the night and graze.

Kätzchen 09-02-2012 10:12 AM

I never "woke" them, I just nursed them in their sleep, probably for the first sixish months, now she just nurses when she pleases at night.

DottieHarley 09-02-2012 10:30 AM

At that age I would wake after 4 hours during the day, but let her sleep as long as she likes at night! Esp if she is still waking herself up a couple/3/4 times and is having good weight gain... Go get some shuteye yourself mama !

NewMommy7 02-06-2013 08:23 PM

At my 2 week appt the ped and lactation consultant both said as long as the baby was gaining good weight that I could stop waking her up to feed at night. She usually gives me one 4 hr stretch and two 3 hr stretches of sleep at night. She wakes me up to eat and continues to gain weight. Just be aware that your little one may start to cluster feed during the day to store up for the night.

Computermama 02-06-2013 09:56 PM

I would stop waking her. If she seems to slow down or stop gaining weight then I'd go back to waking her, but I'm one to let babies sleep unless there is a known problem.