Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introducing Solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Afraid of BLW (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1448251)

Huxley 09-28-2012 08:21 AM

Afraid of BLW

Im a single mom and my daughter is six months old. She seems ready for food. I want to do blw but I'm scared to feed her.

Today I gave her a piece of banana. She put it in her mouth and broke a piece off and my heart just stopped. I was so scared. She just spit it out fine. She didn't gag or chew or anything. She did great.

I just am so scared something will happen and I'll be all alone to deal with it.

How did you do blw? Any advice on how to do it so I won't be afraid?

Thanks so much.

Done at 3 09-28-2012 08:28 AM

I'm interested in this info too :) I'm intrigued but such a nervous nelly about choking.

crazyeyesmcgee 09-28-2012 08:41 AM

I take and kind of smoosh of tiny piece of banana between my finger and thumb and then put it in her mouth. I probably wouldn't give her a piece to hold, but that's just me. Your LO might be more able to work with it than mine. I know my DD is interested in food, but she does not have enough hand/mouth coordination to get food to her mouth yet and that frustrates her.

As she gets older, I will just give her bits of smooshed food to play with and eat. For me, BLS is simply not relying on "x jars of baby food per day" --instead, baby is just trying out food. For some that could mean letting the baby touch/play with food on their own to see what they do and for others that might mean just giving them easier to eat versions of what we are eating so they can experience the taste. Or maybe a bit of both.

I don't know that there is any more to it then following your instinct--if you feel nervous giving your LO a piece of food, don't do it. Put a bit on your finger and let them try it that way. Kwim?

crazyeyesmcgee 09-28-2012 08:45 AM

Also wanted to add--the choking reflex is REALLY strong in babies so don't be afraid if you see them gag a bit. It's normal, and how they learn NOT to choke on food :goodvibes:

Huxley 09-28-2012 11:02 AM

Re: Afraid of BLW

I thought you weren't supposed to help them by putting food in their mouth?

moonlightblonde 09-28-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huxley (Post 15743078)
I thought you weren't supposed to help them by putting food in their mouth?

You're not, also no need to smush it between your finger first...if baby cant pick it up & get it into their own mouth they don't need it.

I'd get the book if I were you, it helped calm dp's fears when dd1 was little. Their gag reflux is so far forward at this point.

I can't wait to start with dd2 - she is attacking us for food/water.

Huxley 09-28-2012 01:00 PM

Thanks. My dd has no problem getting food to her mouth. I'm going to buy the book. I couldn't find it for my iPad unfortunately. I might also feed her when I have people over for the first few times. I've been watching YouTube videos of babies gagging to help me figure out the difference between choking and gagging. How do you tell?

crazyeyesmcgee 09-28-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonlightblonde

You're not, also no need to smush it between your finger first...if baby cant pick it up & get it into their own mouth they don't need it.

Whoops. Guess I'm not doing BLS/BLW, then.

akfran 09-28-2012 02:54 PM

thanks for asking the question! I am curious myself

waterisntsomething 09-28-2012 02:59 PM

I was too but now that he's 8 months and still mostly nursing I don't worry about it. When he was that little I would just break off tiny pieces and put it in his mouth. I still spoon feed some stuff like yogurt or applesauce. I really want to do the loaded spoon thing but he flings it around and i just have to get over my mess issues first (should have done that when I had a kid lol). I was terrified every time he gagged at first but after a while you figure our that gagging is just part of the promise. Feinitely give full attention but they very rarely choke. I also tend to put things in his mouth. So I guess I don't do full on BLW...I think part of it is b/c I don't have a high chair so I feed him on my lap so theres no where to put the food for him to pick up. I am always careful to pay attention to his signals thoug hand not force feed if he's not interested. Just do what works for you.