Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   EC - Elimination Communication (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   6 months = too old? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1448681)

lalaith 09-29-2012 03:13 PM

6 months = too old?

Have I missed the window?

I was dead set on ECing from birth, but a NICU stay and a some health problems made it impossible, and now he's six months old.

I've tried holding him over the sink a few times, but nothing happened, and I have a bad back, so it's really not a good idea in the first place. Every time I put him on the little potty he screams bloody murder. I can't figure out a flat fold to go coverless, and DH asked me not to have diaper free time at all, until I can get better at predicting when DS will go.

Is it too late? Should I just accept that DS will be diapered in the traditional manner, and shelve my ec hopes until the next baby?

mamamarisa 09-29-2012 06:10 PM

Re: 6 months = too old?

You can do it off and on, if you arent feeling it right now it doesnt mean you cant try again in a month or two

strongwoman 09-29-2012 11:19 PM

I don't think it's too late, but your DH is going to have to let him go nakies so that you can see his signals and know when he needs to go. You can use generic timing (after waking up, after feeding) to predict when he will go, but seeing him pee or poop will give you A LOT more info. Besides, Everything is washable! You may want to get prefolds and covers instead to make it quicker for you to take him to the potty. Also, he may not like the cold plastic on the potty. Check out the EC Simplified Facebook page to see a ten minute tutorial on how to make an easy cover for the potty and to get more tips on EC-ing. And like mamarisa said, you can do EC part time. I do it when I can with my 8 week old- tough to do sometimes when I have my three year old and almost two year old running around! Might want to check out ecsimplified.com for tips and to get her book. Don't give up!

shen7 09-29-2012 11:20 PM

A neat fold with a doubler, fastened with pins or boingos in the "side snapping style" (wings under front) is a great way to use flats coverless. Try starting with coverless time and working on cueing and talking about elimination. For pottying, make sure it's comfy - I used to stick in front of the space heater for a minute to warm it up on chilly mornings - and have some special books, songs, toys etc that you do there. Most importantly, keep an easygoing attitude about it! If EC is stressing you out, take a break. There's no harm in waiting if it doesn't feel right. Good luck and hugs to you mama :)

happyhungryhippo 09-30-2012 11:20 AM

I started EC at six months. Start off with a lot of diaper-free time and observing. No pressure on baby or mom to catch pees. Just enjoy some diaper-free time together :) Don't move on or add any steps until you feel good and ready. And it's always alright to slow down and go back a step if it doesn't feel right anymore!

lalaith 10-02-2012 05:22 PM

Thank you all for the advice! I had a few minutes of diaper free time yesterday, and got peed on twice. I'm kind of scared to try again! Lol.

waterisntsomething 10-02-2012 05:38 PM

no way! I did it for a while when he was tiny and then gave up until the last month or so (he's 8 months). I've caught 2 pees today and usually catch his poop (he only poops once every 3 or 4 days).

CaptainUnderpants'Mom 11-06-2012 12:28 PM

You can still try. Start by creating or reinforcing awareness. Every time you realize they are going, tell them so. We also included sign language with potty association, and DS starting signing "potty" to us when he needed to go at just 3.5 mos.! I have found maintaining the awareness of when they have to/are going is the single most important thing to EC'ing, and even if the awareness is all you accomplish, it will help tremendously when PL'ing comes along.

monkeyscience 11-15-2012 08:26 PM

This thread gives me some hope it isn't too late for my 3-month-old. The two times ever that I've tried putting him on the potty, he has also screamed bloody murder. I do think the most recent time was because it was cold, though.

At this point, he's in the habit of going right after I change his diaper and/or shortly after waking (he actually woke up pretty much DRY from a 7-hour sleep this morning!). Would it be too confusing if I actually just put a cloth diaper over the potty, so he would have something to go on? I think he's sort of gotten trained out of peeing on us, so I don't know if he'll go without something covering him. He doesn't even seem to go in the bathtub.

strongwoman 11-15-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyscience (Post 15938339)
This thread gives me some hope it isn't too late for my 3-month-old. The two times ever that I've tried putting him on the potty, he has also screamed bloody murder. I do think the most recent time was because it was cold, though.

At this point, he's in the habit of going right after I change his diaper and/or shortly after waking (he actually woke up pretty much DRY from a 7-hour sleep this morning!). Would it be too confusing if I actually just put a cloth diaper over the potty, so he would have something to go on? I think he's sort of gotten trained out of peeing on us, so I don't know if he'll go without something covering him. He doesn't even seem to go in the bathtub.

Try it! My DS finally started using the potty and responding to my signals at around 10 weeks, but before, he used to only go while lying on a prefold. Try different ways and see what he responds to best. From what I've read, EC window is from 0-18 months, so you've got lots of time :). Keep at it mama!