Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Non Traditional Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=221)
-   -   How to shovel driveway with a tiny baby? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1461445)

mommabullfrog 11-07-2012 11:20 AM

How to shovel driveway with a tiny baby?

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this...

My husband left for the military and I have a new baby. This is a silly question, but... how do I shovel the driveway on cold days? It'll be too cold to have him outside with me. Is he safe inside? I'm in an area without neighbors to watch him, and I obviously can't drop him off with family or a sitter until the driveway is shovelled, so it seems like a catch-22!

Kimmyann 11-07-2012 11:25 AM

Re: How to shovel driveway with a tiny baby?

When I knew snow was coming I would park at the bottom of the driveway so I only had to shovel out a small amount in order to get out. Leave him inside in his crib bring the baby monitor if you have one and shovel out what you can and just keep checking on him.

keonli 11-07-2012 11:42 AM

I didn't have a baby monitor with my son, but I would leave my house phone on, connected to my cell phone, and would shovel during nap time. Or if you can find someone young in the area who will shovel for a small fee, that would work out great too.

MrsHappyGoLucky 11-07-2012 12:02 PM

If you are involved in a church, then most of the time you can ask them for help when it gets bad. We don't get much snow in Oklahoma, but we get extreme heat in the summer and our church will mow lawns for people. I bet you could find someone to help. Or maybe a neighbor if you had good relationships with them!

UmmKira 11-07-2012 12:05 PM

You could also put your child in the car with it running, and maybe put some music on. Still, try to find naptime or another time you can get it done, but if it has to be done and the child is awake, at least this way you can see them and the car stays warm.

Mom2Connor 11-07-2012 04:06 PM

I'd just do it while he's down for a nap if he naps decently. Get a good monitor so you can hear what's going on inside.

ZnBmama 11-08-2012 09:20 AM

Naptime or I used to put the bouncy seat right inside the front door where I could see him and peek in every 30 seconds ;)

sambelina 11-14-2012 07:56 PM

I would just wear babe in a wrap or sling. With you being bundled and the body heat from you both, baby will be plenty warm. My husband is military and deploys a lot. I would never get anything done if I didn't wear my babies.

megenic 11-14-2012 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmmKira
You could also put your child in the car with it running, and maybe put some music on. Still, try to find naptime or another time you can get it done, but if it has to be done and the child is awake, at least this way you can see them and the car stays warm.

This is what I used to do! Now we just hire someone to do it when DH is gone. Problem solved :-)

LaurelBelle 11-18-2012 09:34 PM

We live in Wyoming, and I've shoveled quite a few times with my LO in an Ergo carrier under my jacket.