Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Formula Feeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   What are my options...12month old?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1462841)

photo_shell 11-12-2012 06:49 AM

What are my options...12month old??

Ok...So DS just turned 1 and I am not sure I want to transition to milk just yet. So what are my options? Currently he is on Earth's Best Formula.
This is what I was thinking:
1. Keep on Earth's Best for a few more months.
2. Switch to a toddler formula..which one though.
3. Do part formula/part milk.
4. Maybe switch to alternative milk?

Any thoughts are appreciated!!!

SPJ&E 11-12-2012 07:23 AM

Re: What are my options...12month old??

Our son is staying on his current formula (Neocate) until at least 18 months, possibly to 2 years. We haven't thought much (or talked with his doctor) about switching to the toddler formula (Neocate Junior). I know the toddler formula has more calories per ounce (30, as opposed to 20, I believe) and the nutritional values are a bit different, but I don't know a ton about it. Does the brand you use now have a toddler formula? I would probably try to stick with the same brand, just to try to prevent any tummy issues.

As far as just switching to regular milk or an alternative milk, you could definitely do that. I really like the extra nutrition from the formula during the toddler stage. Even if it's not absolutely necessary, it allows me to not worry at all on those days he's eating like a bird. We've had a time with this guy though (food allergies, suspected celiac, weight loss, etc.), so we can't help but worry about him. Now that we've finally gotten him back on the chart and healthy, we'd like to stay there! We're just not ready to give up that extra source of nutrition (formula).

He does get some coconut milk, which has a lot of good fatty acids. I think we're going to try almond milk soon to see how it goes (he can't do dairy at all and we're avoiding soy right now just in case). I'm honestly not sure which is better, nutrition wise, but I think coconut. Who would have thought choosing a milk would be so difficult!?

My older boys went to whole milk at 1. I mixed the formula and milk...increasing the milk, decreasing the formula over a couple weeks, until they were on all milk. That's supposed to help ease their tummy into it, rather than switching all at once. They did fine with it and are generally very healthy, smart boys at almost 8 and 6.5.

Whichever way you decide to go, I'm sure you're little guy will be just fine!

Msheidiann 11-12-2012 09:13 AM

I switched to milk at age 1. I think unless there is a milk allergy or nutritional need, toddler formula isn't necessary. That's just my opinion, but I also have a really good eater. We did one week of slowly adding more milk and doing less formula. My son has done well on regular milk. We have had a few intermittent constipation issues, but we've added more water and occasional prunes or prune juice and he's done fine.

CASMama711 11-12-2012 12:01 PM

Personally, I would go with some milk/some formula at that age. That's what we did with my DD1 for the first few months after she turned 1. My 1-year-old twins are currently still on formula because they were preemies. I plan to give them just formula until we reach 1 year from their due date, then switch to some milk/some formula for a few months before going with whole milk all the time.

LinzTAW 11-12-2012 07:47 PM

DS just turned 1. We started giving him organic WCM a few weeks ago. Right now he's doing half toddler formula and half WCM.
We switched to the toddler formula around 10 months (En***row) and haven't had any issues with it.
We'll be done with our current can of formula in a week or so and I don't plan on buying any more, we'll switch to WCM full time at that point.

photo_shell 11-13-2012 05:58 AM

thanks!!

mysticmomma1879 11-13-2012 06:34 AM

I think the toddler formula is a marketing scam. :blush: I would switch to some sort of full fat mammal milk and add in some pediasure now and again if you really think he is lacking nutritionally.

SPJ&E 11-13-2012 11:47 AM

I disagree with the Pediasure, but that's totally me and no offense is meant! It's got a lot of sugar. If kiddo needs the extra nutrition, formula is much healthier.

lakemama 11-18-2012 07:41 PM

We adopted our son at 23 months, and he had 2nd degree malnutrition. I compared toddler formula vs. organic formula and because I couldn't find an organic version of toddler formula went with Earth's Best. I wasn't comfortable with non-organic, but that's just us.
At any rate, in 30 days he gained 6 pounds and grew 4"!!

So if you're concerned about nutrition, I think formula is the way to go. He weaned himself off it and onto milk after about 5 months when his palate was more savvy and he discovered it tasted like fish food lol! He hates Pediasure, won't even bring it to his mouth.

luvsviola 11-18-2012 09:38 PM

We kept DD2 on formula til 18 months. She did cows milk with her meals, and we gradually switched over to more and more cows milk about 16 months, but still did formula for bedtime and night bottles. At 18 months, my ped freaked on me that she was still drinking 16 ounces in the middle of the night, and we cut out the night bottles.

Kids don't magically not need nutrients just because they hit 12 months. IMO, it should be more of a gradual process. My kiddos are all peanuts, so they needed the extra fats and calories in the formula.