Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Lunch ideas for a crowd (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1463151)

specialdelivery 11-12-2012 08:57 PM

Lunch ideas for a crowd

I don't post here too often, but thought you wise women would likely have some good suggestions. Thanksgiving week is going to be a zoo around here. I will have a good sized crowd to feed for several days leading up to the big event. I have dinners covered, but need some help planning for lunches. I will feeding about 7 adults and 10 kids per meal. Thanks!!

BeccaSueCongdon 11-12-2012 10:10 PM

We have large family gatherings (think 12 siblings and their spouses and kids, of which DH and I are kids) for reunion and Christmas.

For lunch you could set out a sandwich bar. A couple types of bread, two lunch meat options, two cheeses, a cold salad option (tuna, chicken or egg), fixings, and a panini press. Oh, and pb&j for kiddos.

Pairs well with a veggie/fruit tray, cookies/chips, etc.

My grandma also does these awesome Hawaiian BBQ pork spare ribs in a big pot. Served with small rolls to make sandwiches

Apparently we like sandwiches.

danielle 11-13-2012 04:38 AM

Yes a sandwich bar is best, followed by a big pot of help-yourself chili with rolls and fixings, followed by chicken soup and rolls. But I'd do sandwich buffet at least twice, with olives and hummus, lettuce and cheeses and all that.

valkynlu 11-15-2012 05:37 PM

Re: Lunch ideas for a crowd

How about giant salads? You could do pasta or lettuce style. Just make up a big batch of either, throw in toppings (olives, sun-dried tomatoes, etc.) and then have another container with some sliced up chicken breast to throw on top. It can be a do-it-yourself lunch thing.

specialdelivery 11-16-2012 02:22 AM

Thanks, gals. Those are great ideas. Keep them coming.

onegratefulmama 11-16-2012 03:38 AM

It may not be typical lunch fare but make your own pizzas would be simple & fun. If you have a bread machine you can make the dough or lots of grocers sell dough to purchase I just saw some at Trader Joes. Cheese, sauce, lots if veggie choices, pepperoni etc. Another idea is Mac & cheese bake and home made chicken tenders in the oven. Add dipping sauces (honey, honey mustard, bbq etc.) and pair that with a veggie tray & fruit (same pairings with pizza) & you are good. Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

ErinJenna 11-18-2012 08:39 AM

I did a chili bar for a similar situation recently--had a couple crock pots of chili (one regular, one Cincinatti style, both without beans) and all the fixins on the side, onions, cheese, crackers, beans, etc.

erin_c_odonnell 11-18-2012 08:52 AM

Soup bar (like the chili bar idea :thumbsup: )

Chicken nuggets and fries

Burgers, potato salad, and slaw

BBQ sandwhiches

Nachoes

Lots of dips and chips (we pink fuzzy <3 our dips! :wub: here are some recipes-
Sausage (browned), cream cheese, and 1 can of rotel.
Or
Dry onion soup pack mixed with sour cream (French onion dip great with ritz crackers)
OR
Velvetta, chili, rotel
OR
Sour cream mixed with jar salsa
OR
homemade salsa
Tomatoes, onions, jalapeņos, squirt of lemon juice, garlic salt, jalepano salt or dash of chili powder, cilantro, salt pepper in blender. Grate briefly depending how chunky you want it ;)