Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Ugh, boy names! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1463944)

marenmccoy 11-15-2012 02:29 PM

Ugh, boy names!

I have had the perfect girl's name picked out since before I ever had a child. Of course, we found out today we're having another boy, so it's back to the drawing board. if you were curious, the girl name is Flannery. My older son's name is Murphy.

For this one, we will probably use the middle name Robert, and our last name is a single syllable and starts with K.

Actually, my husband and I both like the name Finn quite a bit, but there is a problem. Our very good friend has a dog named Phineus, who everyone always calls Phin. I'm actually pretty close with the dog, too, he lived with me for awhile. Seems weird to name a child the same as a dog that you know. To be honest, he's 8 years old, and it's not like he's gonna be around forever...but still.

A few other names I am kicking around in my head: August, Linus, Gideon, Jasper, Silas, Lorcan, Leif

Ideas and opinions, please!

newmommy13 11-15-2012 02:35 PM

You should make a poll! I like linus and gideon the best.

PerfectFifth 11-15-2012 02:42 PM

Re: Ugh, boy names!

What about Flynn? That is super close, but not the dog's name. :giggle:

We have had the exact same problem. We've had a girl's name picked out since before we were married, always referred to our hypothetical future child by that name; then what do you know, we had TWO boys! The first one, we decided on a boy's name about three minutes before he was born! DS2 wasn't so lucky, and he didn't get a name till he was about three days old, LOL. I'm scared of what will happen if we have a third boy!

Palooka 11-15-2012 03:04 PM

I like the name Finn a lot. I think you should use it if you love it. The dog will be around for another 8 years tops. Your kid will be around for another 80. Besides, most kids love dogs and would think it's really fun to know a dog with the same name. You aren't considering a "dog name" for your son, it's not like you want to name him Rover. You are considering a human name that someone happened to give a dog.

If you really can't bring yourself to name him Finn, I have a friend with boy/girl twins named Liam and Flannery.

EmilytheStrange 11-15-2012 03:07 PM

I had a girl's name picked out for years upon year and when I was pregnant with DD, it was not the right name for the baby growing in me. So, it doesn't always work out with names even if you have the same gender :)

The first thing that came to mind with Finn, actually was Glee - but that's not too incredibly popular, so you could get away with that.

I wouldn't name a child August if they weren't born in August - just seems confusing. I'm guessing since you have a gender already, you're due more in March or April.

As far as your other names, we have kicked around Jasper a bit ourselves. Gideon is widely popular these days, but also a good choice. I asked DH about Linus and Leif both a few days ago and he said no.

So, I dunno.. I like Jasper the best of all of them.

bigmamakelsey 11-15-2012 03:11 PM

I like the names you're thinking of! A few more - Archer, Leonidious, Arrow, River, Sage, Thais, Rafe..

mommajewels 11-15-2012 03:42 PM

I vote Gideon!! :D

We were going back & forth between Gideon & Harrison for this baby if it was a boy. However we're having baby girl Emersyn & she is our last so neither Gideon nor Harrison will be used here.

marenmccoy 11-15-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PerfectFifth (Post 15936815)
What about Flynn? That is super close, but not the dog's name. :giggle:

And it's sort of related to the girl name I like, too...that could be a maybe. Although it just makes me think of Errol Flynn. Not that that is so bad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange (Post 15936919)
As far as your other names, we have kicked around Jasper a bit ourselves. Gideon is widely popular these days, but also a good choice.

I didn't think Gideon was all that popular, the internet tells me it's in like the 500s on the top 1000 boys names. I was actually worried that Jasper might be getting popular because of Twilight. Also I don't want people to think I named my kid after a Twilight character but luckily he's a minor character but still.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey (Post 15936943)
I like the names you're thinking of! A few more - Archer, Leonidious, Arrow, River, Sage, Thais, Rafe..

I like several of these a lot! How would you pronounce Thais?

Christylkeller 11-15-2012 06:03 PM

Well, I am partial to Gideon as the little boy we are expecting will likely have that name. I also haven't seen the popularity of the name universally. I know 2 other people that named one of their sons Gideon, but one lives 3 hours away and we only see them a couple of times a year. The other one is a new family in the area, but we will likely end up in the same social circles a bit because we both home school. I'm not too worried about it.

And I like Finn, but I wouldn't name my child an animals name that we were close to... Just seems a bit weird.

kelpie169 11-15-2012 06:16 PM

I like Leif off your list. We have a Ryan and an Erik. We also thought about Gregory. Or the record I like lorcan too!