Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Help! LO won't take a bottle :( (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464279)

calex99 11-16-2012 02:38 PM

Help! LO won't take a bottle :(

I am sure this has been asked a million times and I am sorry for not scrolling through every page on this board to find them. Does anyone have any advice on what to to/try? My LO is 4 mos. old. Here's what I have done so far:

1. Playtex dropins
2. Playtex ventaire *he did take 2 oz one time
2. Tom Tippee
3. Breastflow
4. Mijumi Bottle
5. Medela calma
6. Nuk
7. Warming the bottle really hot
8. DH feeding

Please, please help me ! I am getting so discouraged and have to go back to work the Monday after Thanksgiving. Thanks a bunch ladies :hugs:

crunchymom2b 11-16-2012 04:27 PM

Re: Help! LO won't take a bottle :(

haveyou tried leaving the house all together when someone else tries?

PurpleDaffodil 11-16-2012 05:50 PM

1. try leaving the house
2.have you and dad read this http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ottle-feeding/
3. dad may try wearing your shirt so LO smells you
4. a friend of mine had a fast letdown and her LO did better with a fast flow nipple
5. i purchased a bottle with a slow flow that DH said looked most like my boob lol
6. hugs~

thtr4me 11-16-2012 05:59 PM

It is so hard when LO's won't take a bottle. Both my boys rejected bottles, one at 12mo, one around 8-9mo. So frustrating. Nothing anyone tried worked. I never tried, as there was no way LO was going to take a bottle when the boobs were right there. I can tell you from experience that if baby does not take a bottle, you both will survive. Both of mine just ended up nursing all night to make up for not taking a bottle during the day. Really hard on a working mama, but it is doable. Big hugs :hugs:!

DottieHarley 11-16-2012 06:25 PM

Btdt, hugs mama! So frustrating!

I would keep trying different bottles. We tried EVERY bottle under the sun and DD finally took... The $1.50 gerber bottles that look like they are from 1953.
Definitely try hot, warm, room temp. You never know. Also when are you trying? If LO is frantically hungry they are more likely to get frustrated and reject it. Can you try a bottle maybe 1 hour after bf?
Hang in there mama!

crunchymom2b 11-16-2012 07:14 PM

You can also try leaving the milk cold

yogamama28 11-16-2012 07:21 PM

I went through the same thing and as a working mom, it was agonizing. It was so hard to concentrate at work knowing that my daughter wasn't drinking a drop. What finally worked was to create a completely different situation... We learned that if we sat her up on our lap with her back to us and used a soft tipped sippy cup (we used Nuk with a handle on each side and a clear soft nipple/tip). It had to be a completely different situation that nursing. We just held the sippy in front of her and let her see it and become interested. After playing with it for a few we put it to her mouth and she sipped a bit. We didn't push it. Within a day she was gulping pumped milk out of it. You could also try putting formula in the sippy instead of breastmilk at first and then slowly start adding breastmilk to the formula adding a little more each time.

KelseyH 11-16-2012 07:31 PM

DS was the same way. Even refused it from sippy cups! Finally we found out he likes the kind with the flexible straws. DH would just hold that in front of him sitting up and that's how he was "bottle fed" when he was little and needed to eat.

calex99 11-19-2012 01:49 AM

Thanks so much for all the suggestions! I have som hope and will try a lot of the suggestions. I need to see about using the cup.

I did try leaving the room all together and that didn't work :(

crunchymom2b 11-19-2012 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calex99 (Post 15948552)
Thanks so much for all the suggestions! I have som hope and will try a lot of the suggestions. I need to see about using the cup.

I did try leaving the room all together and that didn't work :(

You may need to actually leave the house altogether :-(