Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Question for those on progesterone suppositories! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464594)

SewGreenBaby 11-17-2012 07:04 PM

Question for those on progesterone suppositories!

My ex-doctor's nurse told me that I couldn't have sex until 12 weeks, when I stop taking the suppositories. Has anyone else been told this? I've googled and couldn't find a specific reason, just that many people don't cause it's messy. Has anyone been told to abstain while using these?

RunawayBunny 11-17-2012 07:25 PM

Not originally, but at 8 or so weeks I started bleeding and was put on pelvic rest (no sex). They attributed the bleeding to the progesterone- something about it drawing blood vessels to the surface which make them more likely to burst. They also said progesterone can really irritate the cervix. When I Googled I found many forums/women with similar stories.

So not knowing your history I'd say do what they told you until you can ask your new provider, but if it was just a blanket statement not based on your history then I'd say you are fine. It wasnt until I started bleeding that they told me no sex.

cdeweese 11-17-2012 07:33 PM

Re: Question for those on progesterone suppositories!

I wasn't on pelvic rest when I was on them. I'd ask your new provider.

HeatherlovesCDs 11-17-2012 10:21 PM

I've been on them 6x's for all my IVF/FET cycles, 4 full term pregnancies and one early m/c. I take 3 200 mg's a day. My RE never told me to abstain and we never did. I never had an issue. Pregnancy in general can make your cervix more sensitive. So, yes, are more likely to spot, but that isn't a big deal and I never did. Well, I had a heavy bleed with one pregnancy, but it had nothing to do with progesterone.

I say ignore that advice and enjoy yourself while you can. :)

Congratulations!

ETA - For my night time dose, if I thought we might DTD, I would try to wait till we were done to do it. But, a lot of times, I didn't know. We just DTD'd when the mood hit and didn't worry about my suppositories or when I'd put one in, even if it was just a few minutes ago. We just did our thing. It was never a problem for me or my 6 kids. :thumbsup:

SewGreenBaby 11-17-2012 10:25 PM

Lol, thanks. I think poor dh's head may explode and it's only been 4 days. I was told to abstain just because of the supplements, not because of any other issues. I just assumed it was like that for everybody until I started searching and couldn't find any reason why. I didn't think to ask the new nurse, but she'll be calling me Monday so I'll ask their opinion on it.

stevensmom 11-17-2012 10:28 PM

I put myself on pelvic rest until I was off of them :giggle2: I was so nervous about loosing another one that I wanted no one to touch me what so ever down there