Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   If you AREN'T active normally... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464761)

Leiiki 11-18-2012 02:43 PM

If you AREN'T active normally...

How much additional activity/exercise do you take on during pregnancy? Do you go by the 30min/day rule?

I had a desk job last time and no activity to speak of, and I'm trying to stay fit and exercise this time, but not overdo it.

keen1981 11-18-2012 02:44 PM

You can really do anything any normal person can do. Walk fast- ect. Heart rate is no longer a restriction and new studies show intense workouts make for healthier moms AND newborns :)

EmilytheStrange 11-18-2012 03:55 PM

Re: If you AREN'T active normally...

well, I was active before pregnancy, BUT... I stopped in the first trimester due to the nausea and exhaustion, etc.

I wanted to start running again and my doctor said that running was fine as long as I started slow.

I've actually decided just to walk instead, I walk 2 miles a day at a fair speed.

Even if you've never been very active, you could start walking. Because I'm always extra cautious when pregnant, I actually started at just 1 mile a day for a full week, then I moved to 2 miles a day. My original plan was to then switch to 3 miles a day and stay at that, but I'm on a treadmill and I'm VERY bored by 2miles - even with watching tv - so I decided that 14miles a week was going to be good for me :)

Leiiki 11-18-2012 05:18 PM

Well, right now I am doing 30 minutes of mixed yoga, strength, and light aerobics on the Wii fit every day, as well as light dance with DD in her ballet class and light yoga in her yoga class once a week. A few medium-length walks a week, as well.

EmilytheStrange 11-19-2012 03:46 PM

sounds like you're doing great!

babyrosie 11-19-2012 05:01 PM

I know my OB is very supportive of regular exercise in pregnancy. I have continued my workouts at te same intensity as before. For me, it's running a 5k, an hour of turbo kickboxing, or body pump, etc. that is what I am comfortable doing. I think you Gould do what you feel comfortable doing. If i was starting from scratch, i would probably do a routine similar to what you are doing. But I agree with pp that exercise is good for mama and baby :)

mommycass 11-20-2012 06:25 AM

It's challenging for me to fit in decent exercise everyday due to my busy home schedule with 3 kids.
As a family we go for a bike ride at least once a week, 3-6 miles depending on how the kids are doing. At home I try to exercise while doing everyday things. Squats during laundry, leg lifts while doing dishes, etc...Sometimes I can get the kids to do a pilates video with me, theyve come to enjoy it but its still challenging when my almost 2 yr old wants to be right on top of me, lol!
Or we go for shorter walks or have dance parties! Good for getting the heart rate up!

mommycass 11-20-2012 06:25 AM

DP