Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Nebulizer help (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464837)

jnei 11-18-2012 06:58 PM

Nebulizer help

I was given a nebulizer by my daughter's pediatrician last Tuesday. We've been doing treatments 2x a day per the doc. I have to wait until she's asleep to administer the treatments because at 11 months old, she doesn't exactly sit still and is starting to assert herself as far as things she does and doesn't like/want to do.

It's soooo uncomfortable bending over her crib for 20 minutes at a time and I know she needs to have it more than twice because the rattle in her chest just won't go away.

Anyone have any tips/suggestions for alternate delivery options that won't require earplugs and a steel heart for me? Binding her and restraining her just breaks my heart!

luvsviola 11-18-2012 07:48 PM

Re: Nebulizer help

We do it while rocking and reading books. Sometimes we do it while watching Barney.

I promise it gets easier if you do it while kiddo is awake. The first time, my son cried so hard he puked IN the mask. But after a week, he got used to it, and it became routine. Now, at 3, he falls asleep doing it.

We did 5 albuterol and 2 pulmicorts a day at first. Gradually weaned to pulmicort only twice a day, and now most of the time, we are down to 1 pulmicort a day.

ktmelody 11-18-2012 07:51 PM

At that age we had a pacifier mask. Does she take a binky?

We also had to restrain for a while but then they give in and accept the mask.

txmommytobe 11-18-2012 07:55 PM

I have to agree it gets easier😁. I always try to put something on TV to distract them but sometimes they do cry. The pedi told me when they cry they are breathing deeper so it is ok. All three of my kids have used it and it stinks I know. Hugs mama!!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

craigwick 11-18-2012 07:55 PM

My younger brother had one, we made it into a game...he had a fireman hat and costume and was a fireman with his mask on! He was a bit older though, maybe 1.5/2 when he had it.

myclanof6 11-18-2012 07:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We stopped using the mask when they were able to pull it off and didn't want to fight anymore. We use the regular tube thing (can't think of what it's called) and use a piece of plastic between the mouthpiece and the other part so the steam only comes out one end. I just put that end near their face and it has ended a lot of the fight. I also let them watch TV or play on my phone at that time too so they are really distracted. Letting them do something that is usually off limits helps a ton.
I'll attach a pic of what I mean in just a minute, not sure if I described it well enough.

ETA: pic of what I'm talking about, see how the air can only come out the other end now? And agree with others, crying means more meds getting in their lungs.

Attachment 125123

raisingcropsandbabies 11-18-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvsviola (Post 15947913)
We do it while rocking and reading books. Sometimes we do it while watching Barney.

I promise it gets easier if you do it while kiddo is awake. The first time, my son cried so hard he puked IN the mask. But after a week, he got used to it, and it became routine. Now, at 3, he falls asleep doing it.

We did 5 albuterol and 2 pulmicorts a day at first. Gradually weaned to pulmicort only twice a day, and now most of the time, we are down to 1 pulmicort a day.

Agree! My son used to fight me like crazy and I did have to restrain him for a week or so and then it got much easier after that. Baby Einstein Movies helped keep him still. It was sad to have to restrain him, but much better than constant ER trips and me not sleeping at night being worried about his breathing!

Docs Wife 11-18-2012 08:01 PM

Not that it will help much but when they cry it actually helps because they breathe deep and it helps open the lungs and get the medication in better.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using DS Forum

senorajkids 11-18-2012 08:03 PM

I feel your pain mama. My dd2 developed RSV at 8 weeks. It went in diagnosed for three weeks. She was in the hospital over a month. It caused permanent scarring on her lungs.

We did neb treatments every two hours for six weeks and Flovent twice daily with an aero chamber.

I used the mask when she got older. I know it's hard to hear them cry, but it actually gets the medicine deeper into their lungs. The machines are loud no matter how you administer the treatment.

It does get better! They eventually are not scared by the noise and learn that it helps. Dd is ten now and she gives herself treatments! Lol

senorajkids 11-18-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Docs Wife
Not that it will help much but when they cry it actually helps because they breathe deep and it helps open the lungs and get the medication in better.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using DS Forum

You beat me to that comment! I was watching Walking Dead during the post! Lol