Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Dog still has fleas:( (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464839)

kayleesmom 11-18-2012 08:06 PM

Dog still has fleas:(

We have my poor dog flea bath yesterday n then I seen on here that dawn works better n this am hubby brushed her outside n she had tons of flea dirt on her. So we washed her with dawn then we put dog oatmeal conditioner on her. I sprayed her crate again n put a bowl with dawn in it next to her crate. N going to leave light on tonite see if I find any in bowl. Tommorow I am going to call vet n pray that I can just go buy 1 dose of capstar instead of having to pay to bring her in. Then was thinking that I should wait till Wednesday to put frontline on her.wondering if I should make appt fr her to get hit cut on Friday or wait on that part.

busyteacher 11-18-2012 08:10 PM

Re: Dog still has fleas:(

Just make sure she cant get to the bowl of dawn to drink it. I believe you can buy capstar without a prescription now so maybe they won't make you bring her in. Fleas are hard little creatures to get rid of.

DalesWidda 11-18-2012 08:26 PM

I went pretty hard core with my cats. I gave flea baths, then used advantage, and knockout on my floors. No sign of fleas since. I don't bother with natural stuff

mom2LBJ 11-18-2012 08:41 PM

http://www.sentinelpet.com/

all in one flea, heartworm, & round/whip/hookworm -Four dogs, ten years, indoor/outdoor, in Texas. Not a single flea ever :)

myclanof6 11-18-2012 08:50 PM

We have used sentinel before and it worked to get rid of a mild flea problem (here in TX) and keep them away. Dawn only kills the adult fleas, not the eggs or larvae, but it works best as long as you don't have flea issues in your home. We also used this milky dip stuff that we bought at our feed/supply store that is mainly used for mange, can't think of the name of it though.

tinyblackdot 11-18-2012 09:29 PM

Old vet tech here-capstar is over the counter but only sold by vets, you won't have to bring her in BUT capstar only lasts 24 hours. If you have seen your vet in the last year they should sell your a flea prevention, some do have heart worm prevention in it so you may have to bring her in for a heartworm test before they will give you that kind. Frontline works ok, but you HAVE to keep her on it for atleast 4 moths strait to keep the larve and hatching eggs that are already in your yard/house at bay and end the cycle. I would recommend using flea prevention year round. If you can get a pill called comfortis from your vet it will kill the fleas in 30 mins and lasts 30 days, and has no heartworm prevention or anything in it, and works wonderfully! Good luck!!!

tjs77tsa 11-18-2012 09:45 PM

tinyblackdot Capstar is now available at pet stores too.

Puppydog 11-19-2012 12:30 AM

Treat your environment. The fleas on the dog are the tip of the iceberg.

Diatomaceous earth is amazing stuff. Buy Capstar and Advantage and HOT wash her bedding.

Resellmybelle 11-19-2012 12:52 AM

Adams flea spray and dip, recommended by our vet, but available otc, work for us and we too are in Texas where fleas are bad.

I do not like giving my dogs such harsh chemicals for flea control and this stuff is miraculous. I have compared it to the frontline and other rx methods before I knew how bad they were and I get excellent results using Adams. No outbreaks in the last year and half we have been using it, just a flea or two and we treat with the spray when we see them.

I hope you will at least consider Adams before spending mega $$ for strong meds that require a vet visit and have strong side effects. PM me if you need any details on how we did it. Basically, it was dip if there were abundant fleas, which only has happened once early on in our experience. And we use the spray after bathing them we have seen a flea or two. Only a couple times a year is the spray needed.

DalesWidda 11-19-2012 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Resellmybelle (Post 15948483)
Adams flea spray and dip, recommended by our vet, but available otc, work for us and we too are in Texas where fleas are bad.

I do not like giving my dogs such harsh chemicals for flea control and this stuff is miraculous. I have compared it to the frontline and other rx methods before I knew how bad they were and I get excellent results using Adams. No outbreaks in the last year and half we have been using it, just a flea or two and we treat with the spray when we see them.

I hope you will at least consider Adams before spending mega $$ for strong meds that require a vet visit and have strong side effects. PM me if you need any details on how we did it. Basically, it was dip if there were abundant fleas, which only has happened once early on in our experience. And we use the spray after bathing them we have seen a flea or two. Only a couple times a year is the spray needed.

Now see, I've always heard Adams was bad. That the over the counter stuff uses harsh chemicals that have killed animals :headscratch:

ETA; My apologies, I was referring to Hartz products