Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Contractions question (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464876)

kaylabelle05 11-18-2012 10:17 PM

Contractions question

Right now my brain is a bit broke and my ability to go through google to find the answer is broke also. So could you help me out? And my OB knows all of this (plus the high-risk OB) and they are not concerned.

Back story: I am 27 weeks pg. I have kidney stones; BAD. I also have unknown kidney pain that comes and goes. Because of this, my OB put me on pain meds. I have had 8 stone attacks that put me in the ER/L&D. The last one being on 11/7.

So on 11/7, I started having pain quite early (abnormal for me). I did my routine to take my pain medicine as the side effects of opiods are horrible for me. The pain went from a 4-5 to an 8 ON the pain meds. I asked a neighbor to take me to the hospital. I stayed in L&D for 6 hours. They had me on the monitor. Every time I had a pain surge, I would have a small contraction. I was given IV pain meds and a Terb shot. I forgot how much I hated Terb shots! Once my pain was controlled, the contractions stopped completely.

I cannot find anything about a woman with severe, chronic pain during pregnancy. From what my OB said while I was pg with DD, the pain can cause contractions but even when I don't have severe pain, I still get them. I try not to worry, since the high-risk OB said I shouldn't, but it still concerns me that I am having actual contractions.

Is this "normal"? Does anyone else get contractions? With or without severe, chronic pain?

paper_girl_76 11-19-2012 07:14 AM

Re: Contractions question

I don't know if it is normal, but if they are not causing you to dilate, then I wouldn't worry. Likely, that is why they aren't worried.

infojunqie 11-25-2012 12:55 PM

Re: Contractions question

It is pretty normal to have contractions, even that early. (I have them as early as 24 weeks). The pain can be causing you to have cntrx.

I would highly recommend some Webster Chiropractic. As a doula, I had a client that dealt with similar issues with kidneys and UTI's, and lots of contractions. The adjustments really helped to calm down the cntrx and she made it to term. As long as the contractions are not intensifying, or causing dilation, things should be fine. I love to call them "practice" contractions--a uterine workout getting ready for baby to be born. Good luck--and try out a chiro!

wordmama 11-25-2012 01:24 PM

I had this very situation (kidney stones in the 3rd tri that caused contractions). Once we had my pain under control, the contractions would stop. They didn't dilate or efface me, but hurt like the ****ens. I made it to 35 weeks before I delivered due to unrelated issues (kidney stones started around 29 weeks).

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum