Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   How do you handle requests to Santa? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1464927)

kaimon 11-19-2012 07:45 AM

How do you handle requests to Santa?

Do your kids send Santa a list of suggestions and the he chooses? Or do they ask for one specific gift that he gets? DD only really wants one toy but I made her give a couple of options.

DD said this morning that she can't wait until Christmas so that santa will bring her the new lalaloopsy. I tried to explain that just because she asked for it doesn't mean santa will for sure bring it. He'll try his hardest but sometimes things happen.

That doll has already been purchased so it's not actually about whether she'll get it or not, it's more about the expectation that because she asked santa she will for sure give. Plus the surprise of actually receiving it Christmas day :)

She's 4.5 so I get it - Santa is magical and there *shouldn't* be anything he can't do. And up until now requests have been reasonable. I just worry that without this disclaimer next year's request will be something that can't be fulfilled, if that makes sense.

Do I just keep gently reminding her that he'll try his best when she brings it up? Is there another approach I'm not seeing?

s@hmommy 11-19-2012 07:58 AM

Re: How do you handle requests to Santa?

DD is 5 and we have done just what you are. Keep reminding her, she will eventually get it.

mommyinthesun 11-19-2012 08:10 AM

I generally "guide" my children in what they should ask Santa for :thumbsup:
They are allowed to ask for 3-5 things, knowing that Santa only brings 1.

Rhianna'sMommy 11-19-2012 08:13 AM

My kids are allowed to ask for whatever they want for Christmas. They are told they are allowed to wish for whatever they want but Santa knows them pretty good and is only going to buy what he thinks they'll really play with and he doesn't buy what you already have(ie- you're not going to get a new barbie house). Santa moght even surprise you with something not on your list. The list is your likes - not Santa's shopping list.

Done at 3 11-19-2012 08:14 AM

We just do a general wish list that they add to for months before Christmas and everyone including Santa uses the list. The things I know they want the most generally come from Santa.

kaimon 11-19-2012 09:23 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Only 11-19-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhianna'sMommy
My kids are allowed to ask for whatever they want for Christmas. They are told they are allowed to wish for whatever they want but Santa knows them pretty good and is only going to buy what he thinks they'll really play with and he doesn't buy what you already have(ie- you're not going to get a new barbie house). Santa moght even surprise you with something not on your list. The list is your likes - not Santa's shopping list.

I like this!

Kimmyann 11-19-2012 09:46 AM

My son is 5. He put 42 items on his list. I have already purchased his toys so as he was writing his list I would casually say to him how about Legos? And sure enough he would add that to his list. This way he does get some items he puts on his list.

Kimmyann 11-19-2012 09:46 AM

DP

Geckmumto3 11-19-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhianna'sMommy (Post 15948939)

This is exactly what we do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimmyann (Post 15949249)
My son is 5. He put 42 items on his list. I have already purchased his toys so as he was writing his list I would casually say to him how about Legos? And sure enough he would add that to his list. This way he does get some items he puts on his list.

And I do this, too. :giggle2: