Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   teaching toddler to put on outdoor clothes (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1465029)

MsGiggles 11-19-2012 12:32 PM

teaching toddler to put on outdoor clothes

My DD is almost 2.5. She's can sometimes put on socks, usually boots and mostly coats & hats. However, it takes forever and she'll need to speed it up to get outside at preschool and it's starting to drive me crazy at home (I have a 10mo to also get dressed). Plus winter is on the way so snowsuits will be next.

I'm sure I just need a creative way to help her concentrate on this and get it done...any ideas out there? How did you train your toddlers to get focused when trying to get ready to go?

TIA!

hac1224 11-19-2012 02:49 PM

Re: teaching toddler to put on outdoor clothes

Pretty sure if you expect her to do that much on her own and quickly at her age you are pushing a little too hard. Sorry, but my very smart almost 3yr old couldn't do all of that fast by herself. Sounds like you need to start getting ready a little earlier so you can help her and the baby both.

Rhianna'sMommy 11-19-2012 03:02 PM

At 2.5 I think it's awesome she can do so much on her own. Going fast is probably asking too much at that age. I wouldn't worry about at preschool. I know at the preschool we go to they build in 15-20 minute for kids to get snow pants and what not on. They often have parent volunteers come help out too to speed things up a bit.

EmilytheStrange 11-19-2012 04:08 PM

I was thinking it was pretty impressive that your 2.5 yr old could do those things at any pace - but since I just have a 26month old, I wasn't sure if DD was going to get all amazing at clothes in the next few months :)

Shimpie 11-19-2012 04:47 PM

I thought it took an eternity to get out the door with just shoes and a light jacket. :sadno: I really feel for you. Definitely pad your schedule with more time and then multiply that by two.

I still remember my preschool routine when I was 3 years old and living in Chicago. The teachers would put all our coats, gloves, boots, etc. on the floor in certain way and everyone would rush to put on their stuff. There a trick for the coats that was easy and quick for toddlers. They had us put our arms in the sleeves of an upside down coat and flip the coat from the front over our heads to the back. It's kinda hard to explain.

ETA: She's doing a great job a dressing herself for a 2.5 year old!

Dmpmercury 11-19-2012 04:48 PM

It is amazing she is even doing all that at 2. Coats, hats and boots are not easy to get on for toddlers. Only one of my 3 was capable of that at that age and she was on the early side. I wouldn't worry. She is only 2 she will get there. She is already doing great for her age. Do not rush her or worry about how long it takes. She is doing perfectly fine for her age and is actually ahead of the game. When my dd was in preschool they knew they take a long time to do that and they worked on helping teach them. They didn't have crazy expectations on 3 year olds. No one would expect a 2 year old to get winter gear on completely by themselves fast if she goes to preschool early.

Aubrey<3Gavin 11-19-2012 04:55 PM

Is the issue that you need her to be able to do it by herself while you get the 10mo dressed? Or is the issue that she wants to be independent and do it herself, but is just being too slow?

If it is the latter maybe you could have her pick one or two parts that she can do by herself since she is a big girl, then you can do the rest so that is goes faster?

ISO......BG 4.0 in aplix

MsGiggles 11-19-2012 08:59 PM

Thanks for the feedback & perspectives, mamas!
I guess I've been setting her standards a little high & (unfairly) comparing her to a similar-aged cousin who can do it pretty quickly. So glad I came to ask here. I think I will add more time to the schedule & lay off her a little.

Jen's_4 11-19-2012 09:46 PM

An awesome and easy tip for getting coats on fairly quickly with littles--it sounds goofy but stay with me. Have her put the coat on the floor by her feet. The hood should be the closest thing to her feet. Now she can bend down, and put her hands in the armholes. As she stands up she can raise her arms to flip the coat up over her head and down into place. Ta-da!! I'm sure it sounds more complicated/time consuming than it is. It's really easy and most kids get a kick out of it and it will save you a little time not having to fumble around for that other sleeve.

Shimpie 11-20-2012 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jen_batten (Post 15951909)
An awesome and easy tip for getting coats on fairly quickly with littles--it sounds goofy but stay with me. Have her put the coat on the floor by her feet. The hood should be the closest thing to her feet. Now she can bend down, and put her hands in the armholes. As she stands up she can raise her arms to flip the coat up over her head and down into place. Ta-da!! I'm sure it sounds more complicated/time consuming than it is. It's really easy and most kids get a kick out of it and it will save you a little time not having to fumble around for that other sleeve.

You explained way better than I did. That's how I was taught to put on a heavy coats as a toddler.