Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Am I wrong in thinking that this is a bit much...teacher gift question (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1465069)

katengrace 11-19-2012 02:01 PM

Am I wrong in thinking that this is a bit much...teacher gift question

My oldest 3 are in school now, first grade, kindy and preschool. I always like to recognize their teachers' birthdays, and give them something for Christmas in addition to teacher appreciation week. We already got dd3's teacher a gift card for a mani/pedi this month and I had everyone's Christmas gift all planned out. I got them a monogrammed insulated cup that I was going to fill with candy and a $10 gift card to something they like, maybe Starbucks or Panera Bread. I also include the director of dd3' s school because we love her and she is so hands-on with the kids.
Anyway, I just got an email from dd3's homeroom mom saying that her teacher would like an iPad and if we could buy Target giftcards so she could buy one. Ummm, yea I'd like one too and would loooove a mani/pedi as well, but that is not in our budget. So, my question is does this seem like a lot to give a preschool teacher for Christmas? I mean dh and I don't even buy gifts for each other because money is so tight. And what should I do? Just say it's not in our budget or I already had something in mind for her teacher?
It seems to be a trend around here to spend a lot on teacher's gifts...last year I got strong armed into giving $20 for dd1's kindy teacher's wedding shower gift of a Kitchenaid mixer. Seems like when I was teaching I was lucky to get anything at all...
Thoughts?

EmmaGM 11-19-2012 02:03 PM

I would respond that you already got something else and leave it at that. The entitlement to gifts grosses me out. :yuck:

Mom2Connor 11-19-2012 02:05 PM

Re: Am I wrong in thinking that this is a bit much...teacher gift question

Yeah, I agree with the above. Wow. I only have a 2 yr old thus far, so no school age kids yets and I had no idea someone would be sending out a request list from a TEACHER. We barely buy gifts for everyone in our family, we simply can not afford it and NO ONE in our family is "thrifty" so homemade gifts or what have you just wouldn't fly. They would be totally unappreciated.

I really don't think I would give anything at all in that case. But since you already bought the cup (I do have to say though, cups seem to be very overdone for teachers for some reason....) I don't know. I guess I'd still give it.

ktmelody 11-19-2012 02:09 PM

Wow. Thats awful.

I would be responding in a not so polite manner.

myoo 11-19-2012 02:15 PM

Yeah, that's too much.

I'd be willing to bet that the teacher didn't say, "Hey, room mom, can you ask everyone to give me Target gift cards so I can buy an iPad?" She probably mentioned in passing that she would like an iPad and the room mom took it upon herself to try to rally the other parents together to make that possible.

I used to teach kindergarten and never expected any gifts, although I always got a few. I think what you are doing sounds like more than enough!

badmisterkitty 11-19-2012 02:15 PM

I never once gave any of my teachers a gift of any kind while growing up. Sure, they "give" a lot by the nature of their profession, but I guess I don't know where to draw the line with that. We're giving my DD's prek teacher a personalized hand sanitizer for the classroom and maybe some homemade marshmallows or a paper-covered pen set. They deserve more than I'll ever be able to give.

Pixi6s 11-19-2012 02:31 PM

You didn't mention how much the gift card had to be. Maybe whatever amt you were going to get for starbucks or panera you get for target. Or give the mug and add the candy total to the giftcard. If someone is really trying to get a device like that even $5 helps.

We don't have room moms, but my nephew does. My SIL mentions that room mom comes up with a gift and they contribute to it. I think it would be nice to be able to get one nice gift instead of lots of small ones.

While your gift sounds nice, your child's teacher is getting 12 of those every year, year after year. Imagine how many mugs she must have. Even if it took 2 years worth of gift cards before you were able to get "the next i-product" i think its great.

sillymama 11-19-2012 02:41 PM

I wouldn't have a problem with that one bit. Like PP said, just do the $10 gift card to Target instead of Panera or Starbucks. Or forgo the candy and add that money to it too. I much prefer to give a gift that will be used than more stuff.

stephasauri 11-19-2012 02:49 PM

I agree with what everyone has said. I'm not a fan of "wishlists." If I'm going to give a gift, I want it to be from the heart, not to check something off someone's list.

s@hmommy 11-19-2012 02:52 PM

I think it is. Not everyone gives gifts to teachers, so the fact that she feels entitled to it would bother me. We won't be doing teacher gifts unless she/he is exceptional and in our two years we have not seen that.