Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What do you do when your child loves her school, but you don't? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1465098)

corinne76 11-19-2012 03:45 PM

What do you do when your child loves her school, but you don't?

I posted before about the lunch issues and DD's school. How she had her lunch heated and since she didn't speak up loud enough to be heard when the teacher called out the food was ready, she never got her food. I still think that after all the lunches were passed out, if there's still one there, as the teacher you should call it out again. Yes, it's the kids' job to get their lunches, but these are kindergarteners, you should realize that obviously someone doesn't have a lunch.

Anyway, DD still hasn't been eating. I emailed the teacher, asking for some guidance on the situation on a Thursday night. I thought she might be able to help me come up with a solution. She didn't get back to me until Monday night. I don't email her or communicate with her often, but when I do, she makes me feel like I'm "that" parent.

I was also talking to the nanny of a boy in DD's class, and apparently she has issues with the school too. One day, the lunch aide heated up the boy's food and dropped it on the ground. He was not offered anything else to eat.
There have been weeks when her boy didn't eat anything either. She too, is made to feel like she's "that nanny" so it's not just me that gets this attitude from the teacher.

I choose this school because the curriculum. The class was supposed to be a mixed K/1 class with 2 teachers. They said if DD excels in a certain subject, she would be with the 1st graders of the class. Then when school starts, we find out the 2 teachers left and there's just one teacher. Now the class is still K/1, but she teaches them separately, so there's no advancing. I'm not explaining this right, but basically, it's not exactly what we signed up for.

But, DD loves her school. She loves her teacher and her classmates. she's learning to speak Japanese and she's reading now. I can't imagine telling her I don't want her to go back next year (she will have the same teacher, in the same class cause she will be in the 1st gr level) because there are things I just don't like or agree with.

WWYD?

luvsviola 11-19-2012 04:06 PM

Re: What do you do when your child loves her school, but you don't?

If she's happy, and she's learning, I'd leave her be. Changing schools is traumatic for kids.

corinne76 11-19-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvsviola (Post 15950747)
If she's happy, and she's learning, I'd leave her be. Changing schools is traumatic for kids.

I agree, it is. I guess I have to learn to deal with her school :banghead: It's frustrating for me though. I feel like there is no communication with her teacher, and when I try, I feel like I'm bothering her.

Shimpie 11-19-2012 04:12 PM

Cool! A school that teaches Japanese. I'd kill to find an everday school that would teach my daughter Thai. You've got a pretty unique opportunity for your daughter. If it's just lunch that you feel is a problem, I think your daughter's selective eating will work itself out over time. Honestly, I don't know too many schools that even offer heating up lunches in kindergarten. If there are serious issues beyond the lunch period, then that would be a reason to dislke this school.

Pehaps DD could help make her lunch. Kinda like picking out clothing. If she has more involvement in making the food, she'd be more inclinded to eat it.

corinne76 11-19-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shimpie (Post 15950761)
Cool! A school that teaches Japanese. I'd kill to find an everday school that would teach my daughter Thai. You've got a pretty unique opportunity for your daughter. If it's just lunch that you feel is a problem, I think your daughter's selective eating will work itself out over time. Honestly, I don't know too many schools that even offer heating up lunches in kindergarten. If there are serious issues beyond the lunch period, then that would be a reason to dislke this school.

Pehaps DD could help make her lunch. Kinda like picking out clothing. If she has more involvement in making the food, she be more inclinded to eat it.

thanks. It's a lunch thing, and I guess communication issues all around. Parents weren't told that they had snack until a month into the school year. and here I was thinking she didn't have an opportunity to eat until lunchtime, when all the while I could have been packing her a snack.

Yeah, you can choose from Spanish, Japanese and Chinese. She LOVES Japanese class and her sensei.

Shimpie 11-19-2012 04:15 PM

Cross posting. Perhaps try different forms of communicating with the teacher. Some people are more comfortable communicating in writing, others are better in person. Ask her when and how is the best time to talk.

RainandRedemption 11-19-2012 05:22 PM

If your dd loves the school I'd just try to help her through these areas where she's having trouble. I agree that changing schools is traumatic for kids

Nickel+3 11-19-2012 05:33 PM

I'd just fix the problem yourself and don't pack her lunches that need heating up.

jbug_4 11-19-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shimpie (Post 15950761)
Honestly, I don't know too many schools that even offer heating up lunches in kindergarten. If there are serious issues beyond the lunch period, then that would be a reason to dislke this school.

We were told at our school that lunches have to be able to be heated in less then a minute or they won't do it because the kids run out of time by time they get all them heated up. Having been a preschool teacher when your running around getting stuff heated and food ready its very easy to forget or not notice a lunch sitting by itself- especially if you have already called for them to pick up their lunches. I've done it before, but since it was preschool and nap followed the child was able to eat while the others settled in for nap. If it were to happen at my dd's school they would just be out of luck until snack time because they have no wiggle room in the schedule.

i send anything hot in a thermos and don't even mess around with waiting to get stuff heated. I also make sure dd can open everything herself- they have 10 mins for snack (very strict on the time) and one day I sent a hard to open container and she didn't get her snack because she waited too long to ask the teacher for help.

OP with the other child dropping his food- does the school serve any food? We're in a charter too. They don't have a kitchen and don't serve any food. If a child were to drop their food they wouldn't have anything to replace it with.

corinne76 11-19-2012 07:01 PM

Yes they serve lunch. The kids have the option of buying lunch or bringing home lunch and they do have access to a kitchen