Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Anyone else ever heard of this? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1465110)

katymf 11-19-2012 04:31 PM

Anyone else ever heard of this?

so at my MW office at my 1st appt. they told me i would need to pay off $1000 by my 7th month of pregnancy to cover the cost for a c-section.
OK. FIRST OFF..has anyone else heard of this?
second, i do not have an extra $250 a month to pay that off.
third, who says i am having a c-section? just because i had to have one with DS they automatically think i am going to have a repeat c-section? (for the record i am planning a VBAC.)
This really irritates me. i am almost 8mo pregnant right now and last fri. when i left my doctors appt. the *****y reception lady who i just so happen to get EVERY time i check out says "you owe such and such on your bill and also the $1000 towards the c-section/doctor/obgyn (i don't even know what she called it) bill. she asks me if i am able to pay the $1000 THAT day. i looked at her and go "umm, no...." with a sarcastic smirk on my face. actually, let me just pull that out of my back pocket!!!!
Now, the reason why i havn't made any payments towards that is because i am under my dads insurance right now (thank god) and he told me he would call them and talk to them about it and blah blah. when i first told him about that he was like "NO WAY. that is ridiculous, i will call them and speak to them." and of course 3 months later he hasn't. so i was thinking that he would be dealing with all this, not me.
Anyway, i know they want that money to cover their asses (oops, sorry i am just getting a little p-o'd right now talking about this) IF i was to have a c/s because my insurance would not cover that $1000. but still. come on.
Anyone else's office make you do this?

KelseyH 11-19-2012 07:04 PM

That sounds a little nuts, especially since you are planning a VBAC. Are they expecting that plan to completely fail or what? :/

I don't have any experience with VBAC/prepaying for CS, but I'm halfway and haven't gotten a single bill from my OB yet. The receptionist has definitely not reamed me out about money owed.. Sheesh. Even when there is an outstanding balance, they just send me a statement.

canadianbakers 11-19-2012 07:08 PM

Re: Anyone else ever heard of this?

:headscratch: Unless you're planning a RCS, why would you ever pay up-front towards one? That's definitely... strange.

Bella Catalina 11-19-2012 07:18 PM

I want to say maybe this is the cash price for doctor/surgeon fee they've negotiated with their back up OB in case of transfer? We never had to pay this, but at my last birth, it was discussed--the back up OB, who would deliver a vaginal breech or do a c-section if necessary, would charge $2000 cash, to be paid then and there, though a CC was fine. FTR, we paid OOP as we had no insurance. I don't know what the deal would have been if we'd had insurance.

This is what it sounds like to me, *but* I have no idea why you would be expected to pay this up front. And assuming you get your VBAC, what happens to the money then? Is it some sort of actual required payment--have you ever met this OB? If you have seen him/her at all this pregnancy to establish care, then I understand there being a bill/payment owed, but $1K? Really?

If I were you, I'd call in the morning and get clarification from the billing person as to exactly what this payment is, why it's required, and then have your dad call about the insurance.

EmilytheStrange 11-19-2012 08:14 PM

I have not had to pay like that.

but I had a friend who was expected to pay for her epidural in advance and if she didn't use it, they would refund it. I guess it could be sorta like that?

lilannies mama 11-19-2012 08:27 PM

My doctors office is the same way I had to have it paid off by 7th month it was my first so of course a c section wasn't planned but was what ended up happening. Did you make sure they allow a vbac my office doesn't well at least they didn't but that may have changed I'm not sure. Your pretty much paying them to deliver your baby before its delivered & what I don't understand about it is they don't know what's going to come up because after I paid them al that money I ended up having an emergency c section by a dr in the hospital that was there not from any of the drs from my gynos office. So I feel ya mama been there!

Kiliki 11-20-2012 01:49 PM

all of my MW fees need to be paid by, like 30 wks. But she is an independent MW and so, she is out of network. She can't just call my insurance and get a pre-authorization and do everything the easy way. B/c insurance companies suck and make everything really hard for everybody. Moms who want natural births have to jump through rings of fire. MWs who want to provide them with that experience have to answer to OBs who are angry over losing patients and disagree with natural birthing outside of a hospital. And then you have the malpractice insurance they all have to carry.

Ugh.

I'd say it's an issue with insurance somehow - yours or theirs. Insurance companies always seem to be screwing someone over.

JennTheMomma 11-20-2012 02:56 PM

Never heard of that and that sounds crazy. Was this discussed prior to now? Or did they just spring this at you?

katymf 11-20-2012 04:19 PM

No it was discussed prior to now I think at my 1st or 2nd visit. I met with the lady there who deals with insurance an she have me this paper that told me all this and then had me sign it. In the back of my head I was like "yeah ok?" I asked her why I had to pay all that because what if I don't end up with a repeat c/s? I guess it's pretty much to cover the docs asses if and when I got one? Still doesn't make sense. I don't think it's fair...to have to pay that $1000 plus the money I owe on my doc bills. Crazy..I wonder if they can refuse me if I don't pay it? Still haven't gotten a chance to talk to my dad about it again

leyash 11-20-2012 04:25 PM

I pay for services I receive, not services people THINK I am going to receive, and that's exactly what I would say to them.

"When and if I have this c-section, we will talk about me paying. Until then, I am not paying for something that I have not even gotten done yet."

Insurance doesn't pay for a c-section before it is done, why should you have to?