Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   2 year old with tooth decay- need support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1465117)

MonkeyBean415 11-19-2012 04:46 PM

2 year old with tooth decay- need support

We just took DD to the dentist because we noticed some brown spot on her molars and of course she has cavities!:cry: They want to do fillings and sealants on her teeth. She also Has minor decay on her top front teeth. I'm heartbroken and feel responsible somehow.

I'm still nursing (day and night). We brush her teeth morning and night with Tom's kids toothpaste and after meals with water. I'm going to look for calcium powder today to make my own toothpaste. We don't drink soda or juice and don't eat a lot of sugary foods. I've been looking into remineralizing her teeth and started a cod liver oil supplement and am waiting on a K2 supplement. We've also cut back on fruits and are eating more meat, eggs and vegetables.

Is there anything else I can do? I would love to be able to heal her teeth so she doesn't need the fillings. They want to do one in Jan and the other in Feb. She also had food allergies so we can't eat dairy :banghead:

Any advice or help would be appreciated. Thanks mamas!

nursenmom 11-19-2012 04:48 PM

Re: 2 year old with severe tooth decay- need support

Don't beat yourself up, it sounds like you are doing a way better job than we are and we haven't had any problems. I think a lot of it is genetics, it's not your fault. Hopefully you get some good advice on here from mamas who've been there

Resellmybelle 11-19-2012 04:50 PM

Sorry you are dealing with this!

Wanted to let you know Almond Breeze has twice as much calcium as dairy milk. Have you tried it, it's our milk substitute here and it's delish.

dudleypippen 11-19-2012 04:56 PM

Don't feel bad mama! She may have little or poor enamel on her teeth through no fault but bad genetics. No advice, just goodvibes!

masja 11-19-2012 04:57 PM

Some kiddos just have bad teeth. Dd (3.5) just went for surgery this past Friday. They pulled 4 of her top front teeth, did root therapy (?) on 3, and did 6 fillings. She was a night nurser and the dentist tried to blame it on that (weaned at 2.5) yet ds did the same thing and his teeth are fine.
I think just brushing and flossing after each meal, fluoride supplements (if u believe in that) and a good diet are the best thing u can do. Don't feel guilty, it's not your fault :)

ktmelody 11-19-2012 05:07 PM

I sugest getting them fixed asap

My 5 year old just had surgery today (1 and a half hours long) for her teeth under general at the hospital. She had one extraction, 2 pulpotomies, 2 restorations and like 10 cavities filled. We knew she had some issues but had a super bad dentist that told us our insurance would not cover the general anesthsia at all. After seeing him and getting a second opinion a year later we had the surgery scheduled a week later. I am so glad it is done.

My girls have weak enamel. My son is 9 and has never had a single cavity. My girls always have 1 or 2. My 7 year old has had 2 surgeries (she ruined her teeth with cyclic vomiting syndrome) and now my 5 year old.

My 3 year old has 2 cavities getting fixed next week.

I am a firm believer that you cannot heal cavities, they only get worse and then get absessed and need removal. Its not something to take lightly.

The quicker you get it done, change habits and food habits, the less decay there will be. Some people are predisposed to awful dental issues but flossing, cutting out sugar and brushing 3 times a day can really help. And sealants are a must for kids prone to cavities.

shortcake2386 11-19-2012 05:10 PM

sometimes its just genetics:hugs: and it can vary with siblings. i brushed my teeth 3x a day, flossed, rinsed and used a water pick. had cavities every. single. dentist visit. (no soda or sweets either) my little sister lived on orange soda and cheese puffs. her teeth were orange, she rarely brushed and has never had a cavity:headscratch:(she brushes now lol) my 6 year old had no cavities in december, brushes 3x a day, flosses and rinses and last month had 8 cavities:cry: younger dd has to be pinned down to brush but brushes 2x a day at least and she had one. she is also the one who will eat straight from the sugar bowl:hide: it makes no sense.

MonkeyBean415 11-19-2012 05:49 PM

Thank you all for your kind words and support. We do drink/use almond breeze as our milk substitute :) so she does get calcium there as well as from nursing.

Ktmedoly-- what do you consider ASAP? She's going back in a couple weeks for a cleaning and to have flouride painted on and then she'll go back in January for the first filling. She doesn't want to do too much in one visit to traumatize DD's dental experiences.

I know that some of it can be genetics. I have great teeth and never had any problems until after I had DD I needed a couple fillings but DH has bad teeth and has need many fillings as an adult (but none as a child) I guess there's still a lot we don't know about teeth and their development. It just drives me crazy because like shortcake mentioned I know many who eat/drink sugar all day long, have never been to the dentist and have perfect teeth :banghead:

I'll keep up with this thread throughout all our appointments which will hopefully help someone somewhere.

Does anyone know the benefits of cod liver oil vs fermented cod liver oil?

ktmelody 11-19-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyBean415
Thank you all for your kind words and support. We do drink/use almond breeze as our milk substitute :) so she does get calcium there as well as from nursing.

Ktmedoly-- what do you consider ASAP? She's going back in a couple weeks for a cleaning and to have flouride painted on and then she'll go back in January for the first filling. She doesn't want to do too much in one visit to traumatize DD's dental experiences.

I know that some of it can be genetics. I have great teeth and never had any problems until after I had DD I needed a couple fillings but DH has bad teeth and has need many fillings as an adult (but none as a child) I guess there's still a lot we don't know about teeth and their development. It just drives me crazy because like shortcake mentioned I know many who eat/drink sugar all day long, have never been to the dentist and have perfect teeth :banghead:

I'll keep up with this thread throughout all our appointments which will hopefully help someone somewhere.

Does anyone know the benefits of cod liver oil vs fermented cod liver oil?

I think january and february is fine. So long as the dentist thinks so (which i assume since they scheduled it, lol). If it is only 2 cavities it doesn't sound severe at all.

HeidiMarie 11-20-2012 08:20 AM

No advice, just hugs, mama! You are doing a much better job with teeth then we are here!