Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   When to take infant to ER? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1465205)

EmmaGM 11-19-2012 11:55 PM

When to take infant to ER?

DS has the stomach bug I just got over, I think. He's projectile vomiting every 10 minutes or so for about an hour. He's 5mos.

I'm really paranoid but he's acting normal besides the vomiting. I'm going to call the nurses line in a little bit, just wondering what DS mamas have to say.

somo_chickenlady 11-20-2012 12:00 AM

Re: When to take infant to ER?

I would talk to the nurse, but if it was my child I wouldn't take them unless they don't have a wet diaper for a length of time (I can't remember off hand how long, maybe someone else will know) b/c other than fluids for dehydration, they won't really be able to do anything, and baby will be more comfortable at home. I would just give little squirts of water with a syringe every few minutes and wait it out.

I hope he feels better soon!! :hugs:

ETA - This is what it says about dehydration due to vomiting on Babycenter:

He shows signs of becoming dehydrated. These can include decreased urination (more than six to eight hours without a wet diaper), dry lips and mouth, crying without tears if he's more than a couple weeks old (it takes two to three weeks for a baby to shed his first tears), lethargy, and dark yellow urine.

keen1981 11-20-2012 12:03 AM

Do you nurse? Nurse nurse nurse. My kids were like that for 12 days. And the ER said the best thing was nursing because of how quickly baby guy could absorb whatever he was getting. Stomach bugs suck. But really as long as he is taking in fluids within time frames, he will. Rnonay

somo_chickenlady 11-20-2012 12:08 AM

Yeah, I didn't think of that (DUH!). Nurse as much as you can.

misskira 11-20-2012 12:08 AM

I agree withthe pps... Nurse as much as possible and monitor for wet and poopy diapers. Go by how he's acting more than anything. If he's sick you will know it because the crying or lethargy will start.

And :hugs: for you. Sick little ones are no fun.

PajammaGramma 11-20-2012 12:09 AM

Dehydration is the thing they worry about most with babies. Push the fluids and keep in touch on the nurse line or with the pediation. Fever, infant tylenol, but chances are that will come back up as well.

EmmaGM 11-20-2012 12:11 AM

Thanks ladies :cry: I only recently quit BFing due to his food sensitivities and now I feel awful guilty :cry:

The nurse said to keep him home unless he starts vomiting bile or hasn't had a wet dipe in 8 hours.

She also said some weird stuff about not feeding him til he stops vomiting and giving him Gatorade. :headscratch:

AcrossTheUniverse 11-20-2012 12:14 AM

If you aren't BFing, I would suggest plain pedialyte. This will help to keep his electrolyte/vitamin/mineral levels balanced while he is losing so much fluid. I wouldn't do the flavored ones or gatorade (way too much sugar).

Make sure he is having appropriate wet diaper count and that he doesn't have the other physical markers of dehydration (sunken soft spot, dry eyes, dry mouth, etc...).

ETA: I think what the nurse meant about not feeding him while he is vomiting is to not try to feed him formula or solids while he is vomiting. It will likely upset his tummy even more. I have had sick babies who had to just have plain pedialyte for 24 hours and then we slowly weaned them back on the formula (mixed formula and pedialyte and slowly increased the amount of formula and decreased the amount of pedialyte over a day or two).

raymark 11-20-2012 12:16 AM

Just going off your header 'when to take infant to ER' - if you're questioning it DO IT!
No one on a chat forum or nurses hotline who is unable to evaluate your LO in person and run some labs if necessary (following a physical evaluation) can be 110% correct that an ER trip is not necessary.

Would you rather go to the ER unnecessarily & still get the benefit of helpful medical information tailored from your child's exam......or not go & find out later that you should have?

somo_chickenlady 11-20-2012 12:16 AM

In that case, I would stop giving formula, and just give frequent squirts of water or clear pedialite to help prevent dehydration.