Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   BF with a stomach virus (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1465236)

Ashlynnray 11-20-2012 05:14 AM

BF with a stomach virus

This is more of a rant than anything. We have a terrible stomach bug at our house. Everyone, including LO was throwing up yesterday. I felt fine, until about 1 this morning. This is one time I wish DH could give LO a bottle so I could just sleep. I'm engorged because LO wouldn't eat much yesterday. I just don't know what to do to help us all feel better....

expaik 11-20-2012 06:43 AM

Re: BF with a stomach virus

Poor everyone!!!

Are you throwing up? Or just feel sick and weak?

If you aren't up to it, trying pumping and having someone else feed through a bottle when he/she can. If LO doesn't want to eat, it's OK - as long as there are no signs of dehydration (lack of tears, moisture in eyes/mouth, sunken eyes, no wet diapers).

Do you have a hands-free pumping bra that will make the pumping much easier?

expaik 11-20-2012 06:44 AM

Poor everyone!!!

Are you throwing up? Or just feel sick and weak?

If you aren't up to nursing, trying pumping and having someone else feed through a bottle when he/she can. If LO doesn't want to eat, it's OK - as long as there are no signs of dehydration (lack of tears, moisture in eyes/mouth, sunken eyes, no wet diapers).

Do you have a hands-free pumping bra that will make the pumping much easier?

Nerissa 11-20-2012 09:47 AM

I am sorry you are sick. I had a stomach bug that last 3 days about a month ago and while no throwing up I had fever, chills, ect. My supply dipped and DD nursed a ton and was super fussy.

It did get better. Maybe pump if you feel more like it to help with the engorgement.

KelseyH 11-20-2012 10:32 AM

That sucks. :( we had Norovirus go through our house when DS was about 8 months old. I would pump if you feel up to it so your supply doesn't suffer and make sure you keep drinking LOTS of water & electrolyte replacements. Feel better soon!

VeganCupcake 11-20-2012 10:41 AM

If you can, have your DH bring him/her to you so you can nurse side-lying, then take the baby back to play or whatever with him so you can rest.

I had food poisoning when my DD was 4 months old and I stayed in bed (when I wasn't throwing up) and DH just brought her to me when she seemed to want to nurse.

Your supply will probably be fine long-term--it should bounce back when you're feeling better and baby is nursing normally. The engorgement is uncomfortable, for sure. Can you hand express to ease the pressure?

Ashlynnray 11-20-2012 08:17 PM

My mom was here to help all day so that was good. I took a warm bath and just waited through letdown and I was more comfortable. LO seems fine today and is keeping everything down, lots of runny poo though. I'm just hoping I can sleep the rest of this off tonight. It's horrible.

Mom2jandb 11-21-2012 10:12 PM

:hugs: We literally just got over the same thing. My 3yo had it for 4 days, me for maybe 48 hours, and poor 6mo is going on day 8 but the diarrhea is just about firmed up.

When YDD first got sick I was engorged bc she ate less. Then I got sick and my supply tanked way down. It's still rebuilding, which I desperately need it to bc DD needs to rehydrate. I'm having trouble letting down too.

So, I wish you better luck than me. I recommend drinking lots of water no matter how yucky you feel (I didn't drink enough). And if you can't eat, just try a bite of bland food every 20 minutes. The easiest thing for me to eat was a cold nutrition-packed smoothie while in a hot bath. Again, :hugs: I know how much it sucks!

kdzb243 11-26-2012 07:14 PM

Stay hydrated yourself, nurse in bed if you can, and sleep when possible. Hope you get better soon! Being sick when your babies are sick is no fun!

c&w's mama 11-27-2012 10:20 AM

oh, that's a tough one. Hard to see the end when you're in it. Hang in there- sounds like you're almost through!

As someone mentioned above, I have DH bring baby (has happened with both more than once each) to me and somehow we make it though. I have DH help me sit/prop up a bit and stay with me for the times I'm not sure I trust myself not to pass out. I find it too hard to pump at times like that but try anything once to see what works.