Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   The battle of the bulge (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1465321)

keonli 11-20-2012 10:30 AM

The battle of the bulge

My 5 year old refuses to wear a coat. We live in New England so it's getting chilly. He is in school for only 2.5 hours a day, but it's an older school and I'm not sure how reliable the heating system is there. DH gets him ready for school since I'm at work, but lately, the temperatures have begun to drop and he puts up a fight about wearing a coat. Usually we can compromise with him and he'll wear a fleece jacket, but today he flat out refused to wear anything.

Right now it is 49F. DH insisted on a coat or a jacket at least, but he threw a hissy fit and ended up going to school in only a long sleeved shirt.

Any suggestions on how to handle this? DH says he is much more stubborn with him than he is with me and the easiest thing to do was to say "Fine, go to school like that." But I don't want DS to think he can always get his way. And this might also involve his health.

newmommy13 11-20-2012 10:33 AM

It's safer to not wear a coat anyway from a safety standpoint. Get a no sew tie fleece blanket and have him put it over himself when he gets in the car. He will be warmer with that than a coat anyway.

thoennes6 11-20-2012 10:39 AM

Re: The battle of the bulge

In our school district they go out for recess up until it is 20 degrees with windchill. I would say the car is not a big deal but going outside is. Will the school let him go out for reccess without a coat? I personally would have some consequence for not doing what he is told. My kids have tried this and I have taken away either a toy or activity for not listening. I am all for natural consequences as well but as it gets colder I would not let him out of the house without a coat. Good luck
ETA: I teach preschool and only have kids for 2.5 hours a day. We will go outside to play as long as it is 40 degrees out. I will not take kids that don't have coats out. They have to sit in the directors office until we come back in.

escapethevillage 11-20-2012 10:54 AM

I would force him to at least carry one...just a light one. (so he can go out to recess) But, I wouldn't make him wear it. He'll figure it out eventually.

keonli 11-20-2012 10:59 AM

He doesn't get into the car seat with his coat. We put it on at home, then when he's in the car, he takes it off, gets strapped in and wears it backwards with a fleece coat over his legs, depending on the temps. He takes the bus home, though, and sometimes they have to wait a few minutes outside before the bus arrives.

DH is suggesting I give him "a talk" when I get home. It's been a bit of a battle to discipline DS by taking away things because my mother and sister both spoil him terribly. Even though I've requested they stop.

Perhaps providing a light jacket in his book bag would work best for us, just in case he realizes Mommy and Daddy were right and decides to put it on.

I'm just a bit too tired to function. Sleepless nights and full days at work with a baby on the way in 3 weeks is taking its toll on me.

Scarlett's mommy 11-20-2012 11:03 AM

Maybe hes just hot? I never wore a coat even in the winter as a kid and still dont. I'm super hot natured. I wear t shirts year round. It has to be like super duper cold before I even put on long sleeves. Just make him take it but he doesn't have to wear it unless he gets cold.

keonli 11-20-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarlett's mommy (Post 15953395)
Maybe hes just hot? I never wore a coat even in the winter as a kid and still dont. I'm super hot natured. I wear t shirts year round. It has to be like super duper cold before I even put on long sleeves. Just make him take it but he doesn't have to wear it unless he gets cold.

Yes, he does get overheated easily. His head gets all sweaty at night and he sleeps with a light blanket. Good point.

luvsviola 11-20-2012 12:07 PM

I hate coats and never wear one. I live in central Indiana, so it gets plenty cold here.

I'd dress him in a shirt and sweatshirt and make him carry one into school, personally. If he wears it, great. If not, coats aren't worth battling over, IMO. We are a "run for it" family.

bluedaisyma 11-20-2012 12:54 PM

yeah my kids wear only sweat jackets in dead of winter here (No Va) and to play in the snow. the 2 yr old is naked in the house (we keep it about 50-60). My kids do not feel the cold sometimes apparently. I used to keep jackets, gloves and hats in the car in case (like if the car broke down and we had to walk and it was sleeting, etc), but I don't make them wear them anymore. So, send one to keep at school or with him at school daily and don't worry about it. It won't affect his health= as far as the cold doesn't give you a cold, being exposed to germs does.

BellaPepper 11-20-2012 01:03 PM

I'd just put it in his backpack and keep a fleece blanket in the car. Also he might like a quilted vest better then a jacket