Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Anyone had previous shoulder dystocia & large baby- did you doctor suggest c-section? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1465430)

steph410 11-20-2012 03:04 PM

Anyone had previous shoulder dystocia & large baby- did you doctor suggest c-section?

I'm only 20 weeks now, but because my last baby had shoulder dystocia and was 10lbs 7oz, my doctor is bringing up the possibility of a scheduled c-section. He says it sort of casually, not like pressuring me, but I definitely don't want a c-section. I've vaginally delivered 4 children without major problems and they were all over 9lbs.

Is it unwise of me to try to steer clear of any talk of a c-section.
And do you think it's likely that my doctor will try to come up with "excuses" for why I need a c-section as the due date gets closer?

I really just want to have another natural birth.

my2sweets 11-20-2012 03:26 PM

Dd2 had sd and was 10lb 6oz. My doc gave me options. Her 1st was not to worry and have a c-sec at 40wks. I told her I didnt care for that idea at all.

Her next suggestion was to start having u/s to measure his size at 37wks and if he weighed 8+lbs we could do an amino to check his lungs, if they were good deliver him then. I didnt like that idea either.

So then she suggested we just keep an eye on my weight/measurements, if they seemed big, measure him at 38wks and if 8+ lbs deliver him then.

Last wk at my 34wk check my measurements/weight were good. She felt him, said he didnt feel overly big to her, asked if I felt he was to big(no), and said she felt comfortable not doing the u/s if I was and just inducing at 39wks(dd2 was induced at 39wks2days) to be on the safe side. I am completely comfortable with that plan.

I dont think its unwise to avoid a csec if possible. I have no idea if your doc will push it. I would think its hard to say at this point since youre only half way there. Bring up your concerns at your next appt and gauge his reaction/advice then. Gl mama

steph410 11-20-2012 03:38 PM

Re: Anyone had previous shoulder dystocia & large baby- did you doctor suggest c-sect

very interesting. thanks for sharing. I would love to find out how everything goes for you- hopefully perfectly & with no problems! :)

ktmelody 11-20-2012 05:01 PM

My 7th baby had dystocia and she was only 8pounds 14 ounces.

My ob said that would have no bearing on my next delivery even if baby is large again. But my ob is super laid back.

I would not consent to a section because of previous dystocia or large baby. All my babies have been average weight. No clue why my last was a pound larger than my biggest. I dont think my next will be as big. (Not that i think 8,14 is all that large. Lol)

Christylkeller 11-20-2012 05:05 PM

Re: Anyone had previous shoulder dystocia & large baby- did you doctor suggest c-sect

My SIL had a 10lbs 15.5 oz baby with SD and they *made* her have a c-section with her next child, who was 2 lbs smaller. She says she wishes she never had a c-section. Best wishes with making a decision and working with your dr.

happymama1 11-20-2012 05:56 PM

My dear friend has had SD with 2 of her children...2nd child had a severe bracial plexus injury. Her 3rd baby was teeny tiny (somehow got the recessive teeny genes). None of her babies were over 9lbs. Her 4th measured big the entire pregnancy and after much prayer and consideration, consented to a c-section. This baby was only 8 1/2lbs, with such broad shoulders that the doctor had trouble getting him out via c-section with the standard size incision! Thank God she had that c-section.

Honestly, I'd give it lots of prayer...avoid sugar and keep carbs to a minimum...get plenty of exercise, and see how the baby measures as time goes on. :hugs:

HeatherlovesCDs 11-20-2012 06:09 PM

:hugs: to you for having to decide this. I just had my 6th baby. I don't think we are going to have more, but I'm going to be facing this decision if we do. My baby is 6wks old and he had mild SD. His clavicle was broken. He was 9lbs 1oz, almost 2lbs bigger than my next biggest. I'm sure I don't want a c-sec, but if I have another baby, I'll be nervous for sure. *sigh*

KelseyH 11-20-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktmelody
I would not consent to a section because of previous dystocia or large baby.

This. I wouldn't consent to a section or early induction (pre-42 weeks). JMO.

raisingcropsandbabies 11-20-2012 06:56 PM

My first son was a severe shoulder dystocia with a severe, lifelong brachial plexus injury for him and broken tailbone/severe tearing for me.

It took a long while (around 34 weeks pregnant), but I found a doctor who was willing to let me have a trial of labor with my second (I went through 3). I had a lot of red flags with my first labor of an impending s/d, so we thought if I showed even 1 sign, we'd go right in for the c/s. I was going to have to sign a document stating I knew the risks and would hold no one responsible if anything happened. Well, I ate perfectly and worked out 6 days a week with #2 and prayed that God would shut the doors if a vaginal birth would not be the healthiest for my baby. I would rather have surgery than another one of my babies have the surgeries, therapies, and limited movement that #1 had! Well, my second son turned breech 7 days before his due date!!! The doctor tried 5x to externally rotate him with no luck. It started contx and it was like, "Okay, God, you are shutting the door. I trust Your plan over my own and will take comfort in it." He gave me such a peace.
I got wheeled in for the c-section and my 2nd kiddo was 1 lb heavier than my first!!! 9.9 to 10.3. I was very thankful God shut that door.

-It wasn't till after his c-section that I learned that moms who experience a shoulder dystocia have a 7x GREATER chance of another one occuring. It made me so thankful to have had the c-section. I did everything to lessen risks of s/d with my first and it was so severe (homebirth, no induction/interventions, moving during labor and pushing, etc) and he needed resuscitated and got so injured. I think if I had tried to have my second son, he would have fared even worse.
I had a c-section with #3 and #4 as well.

They suck, but they do a better job of getting my babies healthy into this world than my vaginal birth did. Surgery is not fun to recover from, but my oldest son goes through so much that I'd go through a million surgeries to not have another child go through that.

There are a few threads maybe a couple pages back about this topic. S/d are very scary and many times the baby suffers (as you'll read if you go through them). It's not an easy thing to figure out what to do next time.

raisingcropsandbabies 11-20-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steph410 (Post 15954408)
I really just want to have another natural birth.

And I just read your baby's weight (my second went from 10.3 to my third son being 12.2 with no gd and perfect sugar for him at birth... they do just in case at that size).

And I totally understand you wanting another natural birth. I wish I could have them too. But sometimes putting aside wants can be what is better for our babies (I've learned this the hard way). Be open to and really discuss this with your doctor. Maybe he has some experiences that would benefit you to know and maybe talking it out will really help you both figure out a plan. Many doctors and midwives have had babies die from lack of oxygen because they were stuck to long, let alone brain damaged and physically damaged. It influences them, as it would anyone.

How long was your lo stuck for? Is this the same doctor who delivered your other baby?