Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   This kid is throwing me for a loop! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1465432)

Kiliki 11-20-2012 03:05 PM

This kid is throwing me for a loop!

My 3rd baby is nearing 20 mos old.

She has started doing something weird. Not alarming, but strange and I can't figure it out, even though I consider myself a veteran mama....

It's like a pseudo tantrum that is caused by literally nothing.

So, an example - I'm snacking on something. She walks over and asks for some. I give her some. She tastes it and wants more. I offer more. She shakes her head no REALLY HARD and starts yelling something I can't understand (Ba-meeee-naaaahhhh-mmooooo MOMMMYYYY!). I ask if she's thirsty (and usually more questions, too...), she starts getting more frustrated, acts as if she wants to climb up on the couch - puts one leg up - then she acts like she is falling off - she's not, she's pulling her leg down on purpose - she repeats this a few times while getting more and more frustrated... then she falls to the floor, throws herself backwards and pretends to cry. It's a pretend cry. There are no tears. She's not hurt. She scrunches her face like she's crying, but it's not a real cry, it's fake.

She lays there fake crying and kicking her legs for a bit. The rolls over and does it on her belly for a bit. Then she will pull her legs under her so she's on her knees, then kick her legs out while "crying". She does this a few times. Rolls back over, then stares at me quietly, with a blank face.

Sometimes she repeats that last part until I intervene. Other times, when I don't react, she flops over, gets up, and toddles off to go play with something, or get upset about something all over again. Sometimes she gets up and hugs me and then leaves.

I'm stuck between laughing and feeling confused. It's actually kind of funny :blush: There's nothing wrong with her.

I know it will pass. I'm not feeling irritated or anything. But my other 2 kids never did this. It's so weird. LOL :headscratch:

MaterofJacob 11-20-2012 03:14 PM

Re: This kid is throwing me for a loop!

lol I honestly don't know what to say :giggle: My Ds1 has started fake crying sometimes when he hears Ds2 cry. Although its more like trying to imitate the sound of him crying. It's like he's smiling and yelling because he thinks its funny to copy him. But that's a whole different thing then what you have going on... Hopefully it passes soon? Unless its just really entertaining and not annoying... then just enjoy the comedy of children lol

Kiliki 11-20-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaterofJacob (Post 15954451)
lol I honestly don't know what to say :giggle: My Ds1 has started fake crying sometimes when he hears Ds2 cry. Although its more like trying to imitate the sound of him crying. It's like he's smiling and yelling because he thinks its funny to copy him. But that's a whole different thing then what you have going on... Hopefully it passes soon? Unless its just really entertaining and not annoying... then just enjoy the comedy of children lol

today we visited my mom and my mom tried to hug her and this is how YDD reacted - threw herself to the floor and fake cried. My mom sat laughing and YDD would look up, see my mom looking at her and start doing it again.

It's funny and weird.

SaraElise 11-20-2012 04:11 PM

For a while when my now 22 month old would get the slightest bit frustrated she would run into the living room where was carpet and throw herself on the ground and fake sob. It was good that she left the room because it was SO hard not to laugh some of the time!

I think she was just becoming more aware of the fact that she could control her emotions, and was having some fun testing them out :)

She still fake cries sometimes now, but isn't quite so dramatic about it, and usually if we ask her to stop, she will.

Zoethink 11-20-2012 07:50 PM

Is she reliving a time when she did really have a tantrum? Remembering a time when she really did fall off the couch and it made her cry? Or something like that? My DS is 21 months and he replays all kinds of scenarios over and over again; my husband will leave for work and DS will cry (for real), and then throughout the day he will point to the door, say "dada" and pretend to cry. I basically just repeat the scenario to him; "Dada left for work and you were sad to see him go, you cried", and that satisfies him until the next time he thinks of it.

These 20 something toddlers sure are interesting to watch!

LittleThingsMama638 11-20-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaraElise (Post 15954669)
For a while when my now 22 month old would get the slightest bit frustrated she would run into the living room where was carpet and throw herself on the ground and fake sob. It was good that she left the room because it was SO hard not to laugh some of the time!

I think she was just becoming more aware of the fact that she could control her emotions, and was having some fun testing them out :)

She still fake cries sometimes now, but isn't quite so dramatic about it, and usually if we ask her to stop, she will.

This is my 20mo. She gets frustrated and starts a tantrum. Doesn't know what she wants, or you don't give her what she wants, or you do something she wanted to do, and she throws herself on the floor pretend cries and screams then gets up and walks away. I walk away and laugh.. every single time. She's just learning her emotions and this is her reaction.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoethink (Post 15955411)
Is she reliving a time when she did really have a tantrum? Remembering a time when she really did fall off the couch and it made her cry? Or something like that? My DS is 21 months and he replays all kinds of scenarios over and over again; my husband will leave for work and DS will cry (for real), and then throughout the day he will point to the door, say "dada" and pretend to cry. I basically just repeat the scenario to him; "Dada left for work and you were sad to see him go, you cried", and that satisfies him until the next time he thinks of it.

These 20 something toddlers sure are interesting to watch!

My DD also relives things. She will pretend to fall off of something and pretend to cry. The pointing to the couch, pretending to climb up and then pulling her leg down and starting a tantrum kind of makes me think maybe she's doing something like that. Or she's afraid that if she gets up there she will fall.

Kiliki 11-20-2012 09:39 PM

It doesn't seem like she is reliving anything to me...but I guess maybe.?? She does do that, too. She walks to the door where dh leaves and fake cries. Which seems totally different than this other behavior... I do laugh and say, "what are you doing?" she stops, pops her head up, makes a sad face and goes back to her pretend tantrum.