Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Things Carseats (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   What kind of seat for older kids? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1465494)

Honeymommy3 11-20-2012 07:02 PM

What kind of seat for older kids?

I just checked the girls' seat expirations and they need new ones. One will be 7 in Jan and the other 6 in Feb. I'm not comfortable on just a basic booster for them but it's been awhile since I had to check out seats to buy. Thanks for your input!!

stevensmom 11-20-2012 07:04 PM

Re: What kind of seat for older kids?

Target has the Graco Turboboosters on sale this week $30 (save $20). They are high back boosters that change to backless boosters. They have 10 years before they expire.

lilychic4 11-20-2012 08:26 PM

Do you trust the girls to sit correctly in a booster the whole ride every ride? Most 5-6yo kids are mature enough to sit in a booster.

I'd definitely recommend a high back booster so they have belt guides for the shoulder belt and the side impact protection.
Graco Turboboosters are great.
Other good fitting boosters tend to be:
Evenflo BigKid
Britax Parkway
Diono Monterey
Harmony V6

Do you have a BRU or BuyBuy Baby near you? Take the girls to a store that lets you try the seats in the car. You want to see the seat belt flat down on the thighs and a shoulder belt across the collar bone rather than off the shoulder or up on the neck. Pick out what you and the girls like and fits in your budget :)

luvsviola 11-20-2012 08:35 PM

We love our Graco Turbo Highback Booster. It is no frills, but gets the job done. All a booster does is correctly position the belt. What you need to find is the one that correctly places the belt on your kiddos, which may mean testing a couple out in your car.

moms5angels 11-20-2012 09:32 PM

if your looking for long turm use i would go w/ a frountier 85 since it harnesses till 85lbs 57in tall & then turnes into a hbb for up to 120lbs 65in tall. it deff more $ then the other posters above recamended but i have one for my oldest & love it. :) just a heads up. it a huge & heavy seat ;)

Honeymommy3 11-21-2012 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevensmom (Post 15955015)
Target has the Graco Turboboosters on sale this week $30 (save $20). They are high back boosters that change to backless boosters. They have 10 years before they expire.

I didn't know the name til I looked it up and that's what is in my DH's truck for them. I like the portability of it, and the price. It's just so hard for me - they still look great in their 5 pts., and too little for HBB. Maybe it's just in my mind! I was hoping to get another year out of their current seats. Thanks for the rec! Just out of curiosity, do you know why these are 10 years vs. 5?

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilychic4 (Post 15955334)
Do you trust the girls to sit correctly in a booster the whole ride every ride? Most 5-6yo kids are mature enough to sit in a booster.

I'd definitely recommend a high back booster so they have belt guides for the shoulder belt and the side impact protection.
Graco Turboboosters are great.
Other good fitting boosters tend to be:
Evenflo BigKid
Britax Parkway
Diono Monterey
Harmony V6

Do you have a BRU or BuyBuy Baby near you? Take the girls to a store that lets you try the seats in the car. You want to see the seat belt flat down on the thighs and a shoulder belt across the collar bone rather than off the shoulder or up on the neck. Pick out what you and the girls like and fits in your budget :)

Target is our store with the most selection. It's in the next town over, we live in a small town. =) I do trust them to sit in boosters, but they are definitely not tall enough without the guide, and they still only weigh 44 lbs. I had a friend recommend a Diono Radian (I think), so I'll def look into the others you listed. Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvsviola (Post 15955364)
We love our Graco Turbo Highback Booster. It is no frills, but gets the job done. All a booster does is correctly position the belt. What you need to find is the one that correctly places the belt on your kiddos, which may mean testing a couple out in your car.

Thanks! I didn't realize it, but that's our backup in my dh's truck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by moms5angels (Post 15955557)
if your looking for long turm use i would go w/ a frountier 85 since it harnesses till 85lbs 57in tall & then turnes into a hbb for up to 120lbs 65in tall. it deff more $ then the other posters above recamended but i have one for my oldest & love it. :) just a heads up. it a huge & heavy seat ;)

That's one of my problems. I don't know how long term I'm looking. I had my odd in a booster until she was almost 10. My other two are on the smaller side, and still look perfectly fit and cozy in their 5pt. But realistically, how long can I expect them to be in a 5pt? I'm not sure the investment in a big, sturdy ($$$) seat is worth it if they will be in it's converted postition in a year. Am I making sense?:giggle:

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't know why I'm having such a hard time with this. Surely, I'm way over thinking!

moms5angels 11-21-2012 10:57 AM

i understand what your saying ;) since there tiny the frountier might b too big for them. might look like its swallowing them up :giggle: my son who is in it is the only tall one i have. the rest of my boys r tiny & my daughter is avg. (that what the dr says aneyways lol ) he just outgrew the straps by hight & is now using it as a hbb. he is only 4in away from being in a seat w/o a boosterseat at 8yrs old! :-O i plan on handing it down to my 5yr old once jake dont need it no more. that seat is goona b huge compared to him & the radian he is in now. :giggle2:
my son jake wasnt happy when he outgrew the harness in the frountier. he said he felt safer w/ them. mabe your daugher/s will b the same & u will gwt max use out of it if u do get it? :dunno: u could take your kids to the store have them try out carseats & see what ones work for u & them ;)

jjordan 11-21-2012 01:44 PM

We actually don't have any evidence to suggest that a harnessed seat is any safer than a belt-positioning booster seat for children at least 40 pounds who can use a booster properly (which generally starts around age 5-6, although it can sometimes be younger, and special needs children may need to be older). So, with that in mind, I would get highback boosters for both of them. If you are happy with your turboboosters then Target is having a terrific sale this week. Otherwise, you can check out other highback boosters too, maybe look at the list of recommended seats on carseat blog.

Pixi6s 11-26-2012 10:07 AM

check this out! http://www.iihs.org/research/topics/...s/default.html

doulamomma 11-26-2012 10:39 AM

I have the same problem. My dd will be 6 in feb. I know shes big enough for a booster, but she still seems so little to me :(

looking up the reviews for the graco turbo booster and someone said how it was such a good transition seat for their 2yo. :banghead: I don't love the idea of putting my 6yo in a hbb lol

Sent from my droid