Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   now I'm nervous I killed my supply (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1465533)

crunchymom2b 11-20-2012 08:24 PM

now I'm nervous I killed my supply

DS has been nursing exclusively for a little over a week after nursing sparingly and not all that well since birth. I EPed since day 2 and had a major oversupply which was great for that scenario. Lots of frozen milk. Once he started nursing I continued topump a few times aday forthe first day or so but it just made the engorgment much worse so I ditched the pump and only pumped to comfort when necessary. At this point I haven't really pumped for several days, with the exception of 3oz last night.

Things were going really well even with the pain from engorgment. DS typically eats from one side only. The past 2 nights he's been super fussy at the breast though. Awesome during the day but just seems unhappy at ight. He either doesn't want to nurse period or will nurse for a few minutes, then cry like crazy. Repeat. He still slept normal. The engorgement is completely gone and frankly, while my boobs are still MASSIVE (much more than usual) they don't feel super full, just floppy and heavy to be honest. He typically eats for 10-30minutes on one side and then falls asleep or just gets uninterested. We are using a shield due to a recessive chin. I met with an LC the 2nd day and even though he was super sleep and lazy while eating he took at 2oz in under 10 minutes of sucking so he's def. efficient at eating.

I deal with anxiety anyways and was unable to nurse DS1 so I'm a newbie here. Did my supply tank? Are we doing things right? I'm petrified that switching from EPing was the wrong idea and that I'll lose all my supply andhe won't have ANY breastmilk. Why is he so fussy at night all of a sudden?? I think I just need to be talked off the ledge right now :banghead:

Nerissa 11-20-2012 10:05 PM

Re: now I'm nervous I killed my supply

I really th7nk you are fine. My breasts do not feel full so to speak unless DD sleeps for 6 hours then they are envorged. Then fussyness could easily be just a tired baby. I am sure you body is just regulating to the needs of you baby. I have been block feeding only and in the morning I pump one side--my better producer which is my right side---just for some freezer stash.

I can tell that my body is readjusting since I have gone back to work and am no pumping both sides twice a day. I geg fulller on the weekends when she is only eating from one side. I pump twice in the AM now on the. Non-eaten from side.

Hope that makes sense. I am by no means an expert. Those have been my experiences this time around

Try not to stress. .

VeganCupcake 11-20-2012 10:16 PM

Yeah, I think you're fine, too. Your breasts don't have to be super-full and engorged to be producing plenty of milk. Maybe you are now down to a normal supply, instead of at an oversupply level.

Fussiness can be caused by so many things--it's probably just a phase that will pass. If his diaper output is good, I would not worry at all. You might schedule another pre- and post feed weight or a weight check in a week or two to ease your mind, but I wouldn't worry.

neuro_mom 11-20-2012 10:16 PM

Is your baby wetting lots of diapers and gaining weight? If so, everything is probably fine. He may be having a growth spurt and that might be why he has been fussy the past couple of days. Also, if you started your menses, that can affect supply. When I worry that my supply is dropping, I add extra pumping sessions to help increase it.

Like the pp mentioned, after a while your body adjusts. I used to have to wear nursing pads and now w/ my lo being almost 10 months old, I've been able to chuck the pads :)

A great site that also gives information about bf'ing is kellymom.com.

Oh I forgot, there's a thing called cluster feeding where babies want to feed more frequently and longer at night. It's on the kellymom.com site.

Nerissa 11-21-2012 02:28 AM

DD goes through a fussy time almsot every eveninh where she wants to nurse evrery hour or more. Some of those are just nibbles, meaning she probably isnt getting much if any milk. Just satisfying her suck need.

amandact 11-21-2012 04:02 AM

Same here, my 4 month old since birth has had this fussy period. All she wants to do is be on for hours but isn't necessarily eating. I assume it is about comfort, not supply...we've also has some of your fears too though but thus far there was no actual supply problem.

Reading about cluster feeding helped though...I read through the description and it was so clearly on point.

Good luck!

crunchymom2b 11-21-2012 06:55 AM

Thanks mamas. I'm just so nervous not having done this before. Then getting used to such an awesome supply to going to having no clue what I'm producing. He's pooping the same, maybe a tad more, and is soaking his diapers now. He nursed at least 8 times yesterday. He usually nurses around 10 or 11pm, and then once more through the night before 7:30am, either 2:30am or 4am. We typically get a good 4-5 hour stretch of sleep at some point.

I don't think he's quite cluster feeding. He'll act hungry but then only stay on for a minute if that, get super fussy, and then stay fussy for a bit, but refuse the breast for more than a minute or two. Then he'll either calm down and sleep and then nurse like normal or repeat everything once or twice. He was better last night though. I think I may be trying to get him to nurse when he doesn't want to.

Ihave noticed he's not really a comfort nurser. He eats ad then falls asleep or wants off. He likes his paci for sucking. I don't think he can suck on the breast without getting a mouthful of milk. Is that okay as long ashe's nursing at least 8 times a day?

I'm going to a BF gathering today and I can weight him there to make sure he's gaining. FX!

happysmileylady 11-21-2012 07:43 AM

Nah, you didn't kill your supply. There are probably a couple of things going on, one or more at the same time.

Could be a growth spurt. Babies sometimes grow in fits and starts, with rapid progress sometimes and slower growth at others. Sometimes those growth spurts can make them want more food than they otherwise might. Your body adjusts but they can get fussy if they aren't getting everything they want all at once.

Could be the night time fussies. Many babies, nursed or not, get fussy at night. There are lots of different reasons, from overtired to overstimulated to gassy to whatever. When they are bottle fed, people automatically assume one of those over nursing, but often nursing mothers automatically assume night time fussies are due to not getting enough, because we can't see just how much they got.

Could be that with your oversupply, he got used to it coming out fast, now that your body is adjusting, he's frustrated that he has to work a bit harder.

FWIW...even knowing all that, I am dealing with a similar issue with my almost 6 week old. He's gaining wonderfully, plenty of wet and dirty dipes. And he's getting fussy at night, doing the same thing, acting hungry, nursing for a bit, then crying and acting like he suddenly can't find the nipple. Cries some more, nurses for a moment, then gets irked off again. And it does momentarily still worry me.

But, I pop a pacifier in his mouth and 9 times out of 10, he stops, which tells me that like yours, he's not a comfort nurser...he wants to suck, but doesn't want anything coming out. If he pops the pacifier out, then I change the diaper, wrap him up and rock him and he's usually out in a few minutes...just tired and ready for bed, not for dinner.

happysmileylady 11-21-2012 07:43 AM

Nah, you didn't kill your supply. There are probably a couple of things going on, one or more at the same time.

Could be a growth spurt. Babies sometimes grow in fits and starts, with rapid progress sometimes and slower growth at others. Sometimes those growth spurts can make them want more food than they otherwise might. Your body adjusts but they can get fussy if they aren't getting everything they want all at once.

Could be the night time fussies. Many babies, nursed or not, get fussy at night. There are lots of different reasons, from overtired to overstimulated to gassy to whatever. When they are bottle fed, people automatically assume one of those over nursing, but often nursing mothers automatically assume night time fussies are due to not getting enough, because we can't see just how much they got.

Could be that with your oversupply, he got used to it coming out fast, now that your body is adjusting, he's frustrated that he has to work a bit harder.

FWIW...even knowing all that, I am dealing with a similar issue with my almost 6 week old. He's gaining wonderfully, plenty of wet and dirty dipes. And he's getting fussy at night, doing the same thing, acting hungry, nursing for a bit, then crying and acting like he suddenly can't find the nipple. Cries some more, nurses for a moment, then gets irked off again. And it does momentarily still worry me.

But, I pop a pacifier in his mouth and 9 times out of 10, he stops, which tells me that like yours, he's not a comfort nurser...he wants to suck, but doesn't want anything coming out. If he pops the pacifier out, then I change the diaper, wrap him up and rock him and he's usually out in a few minutes...just tired and ready for bed, not for dinner.

Nerissa 11-21-2012 10:34 AM

I do the same as PP with the comfort nursing and the paci. Sometimes DD is fine with a little milk coming out and sometimes not. Sometiems it is just trial and error to figure out exactly what they want at any given time. I usually go through all the options: diaper, hungry, comfort nursing, paci, swing ect. Sometimes she is just overtired and doesn't know how she wants to be comforted to go to sleep.

While this is my 3rd baby, each one is different and i fell like I am starting from scratch all over again.

Hang in there. It will be alright.

if you are worried at all about your supply, eat lots of oatmeal and drink lots of water. The water is what I always forget until i am super thirsty.