Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Looking for a little support... or encouragement (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1465654)

firemommaof1 11-21-2012 11:50 AM

Looking for a little support... or encouragement

I think I need some encouragement ... My daughter is 18 months old and my third baby. She is by far the most needy nurser of the bunch. She nurses all the time!
I have always nursed on demand with all my kids until they wean. I nurse her on demand still. The issues I'm starting to have is the night nursing. She is nursing like a newborn! Up like every couple hours. Some I think is habit and she likes the closeness. She has a crib in our room and when she nurses I pull her into bed then when she's done I put her back in her bed (unless I've fallen asleep again).
I guess I need some encouragement that this is ok. Hubby is really supportive so no issues there... He would like to see me get some more sleep but never says anything about her being this old and still nursing.

Any encouragement words to help me see this will not last forever? My other two were weaned at this age and had already been sleeping thru the night. I know she will not be nursing forever ... but does it get better at night? will she take on a better sleep pattern soon? I am not ready to wean and neither is she.

Edit: I'm also wondering if she really needs the extra calories at night. She is still really small. 18 months and almost 17lbs. She has always been a peanut so maybe this is her way to keep up nutrition?

abunchoflemons 11-21-2012 11:54 AM

Re: Looking for a little support... or encouragement

Could u try just night ween? I wish I would be able to nurse mine but preg #3 stopped her at 14 month. God for you. You doh need your sleep. My sil said no sleep through night til weened. Hopefully u can find ur balance.

firemommaof1 11-21-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abunchoflemons (Post 15957260)
Could u try just night ween? I wish I would be able to nurse mine but preg #3 stopped her at 14 month. God for you. You doh need your sleep. My sil said no sleep through night til weened. Hopefully u can find ur balance.

I've tired with holding from her and it didn't go over well. Like horrid screaming... I just can't do that :(

sisu 11-21-2012 12:05 PM

Is your husband able to get her back to sleep at night so you can night wean her? We night weaned both of mine around 12 months, my husband would get up with them and soothe them back to sleep. I had to go in a different room because they just KNEW if I was anywhere near them and would scream, lol, but it was fairly cry-free for us with both kids once I caught on to that fact. It took about 10 days for DS to stop waking up at all, and only 5 or 6 for DD. They also both upped their nursing during the day after night weaning, and DH offered them a sippy at night in case they were thirsty. DS tended to drink a bit, DD just threw the sippy and rolled over and went back to sleep.

You're doing a good job, mama, and it'll get better one way or another! Good luck! :hugs:

need some diaps! 11-21-2012 12:33 PM

This is exactly us!! It is ok and you need to do what is right for your family. This has been all 3 of my kids actually :) With my oldest it was the hardest because he wasn't in our room (dumb) but with the LOs it was easier. I just told myself it really won't last forever and before long they will be going to college!! My youngest has times when she will sleep for maybe 4 hours now but otherwise is up at least every couple hours. You are doing great!!

oldmomma 11-21-2012 01:23 PM

I had the same fears with night weaning a couple of months ago with my 12 month old. I just decided, we are going to keep bfing even during the night as long as we could. I am okay, eventhough slightly sleep deprived. You are doing great momma!!

firemommaof1 11-21-2012 01:57 PM

Thanks girls. I have no problem with nursing. .. it would just be so nice to have her sleep thru the night :giggle:
I might try the hubby thing to help but I feel horrible that he wouldn't be getting any sleep (hes a firefighter so when he's not home and on shift he doesn't get much sleep at the station... I always try to make sure she doesn't bother him when he's home so he can catch up on sleep)
He is taking some vacation days in December to hang out with us so maybe that is a good time to see what she does if I'm not in the room. I would be devastated if she weaned completely! Hoping if we choose to try and night wean that it doesn't effect the day time nursing.

jessicanashville 11-21-2012 02:23 PM

I nursed Ds til 24 months and HAD to cut my son off...he would still be nursing at 4:goodvibes: Til then I nursed on demand including night feedings. It's totally up to you, as far as nutrition wise I am sure several night feedings aren't necessary. Now that it's over I wouldn't have changed it for the world. It was a lot of work and physically tiring nursing that long but I would do it all again. It's such a short special time of our lives that we can never get back.

firemommaof1 11-21-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessicanashville (Post 15957762)
I nursed Ds til 24 months and HAD to cut my son off...he would still be nursing at 4:goodvibes: Til then I nursed on demand including night feedings. It's totally up to you, as far as nutrition wise I am sure several night feedings aren't necessary. Now that it's over I wouldn't have changed it for the world. It was a lot of work and physically tiring nursing that long but I would do it all again. It's such a short special time of our lives that we can never get back.

I like this. :goodvibes:

firemommaof1 11-21-2012 02:31 PM

I'm trying to think that everything has a season... right now were in one and soon enough we'll be on the other side with no regrets. When I hear her cry to nurse it just breaks my heart... that's how I know were not ready to really wean. I just wish it was only like two times at night :giggle2: