Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transaction & Feedback Discussion (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Buyer received empty package (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1465682)

sdevonh 11-21-2012 12:50 PM

Buyer received empty package

I sent a package of books to a mama over two weeks ago. She just messaged me that she received the empty package with a note from the PO saying it had been damaged. According to the tracking, the package disappeared between 11/8 and a couple days ago. What is the best way for us to resolve this? Should I have her open a dispute through pp so it is all documented? There was no insurance on the package.

slimy72 11-21-2012 01:58 PM

Re: Buyer received empty package

I had this happen to me a while back. I was the buyer, except there was no note from the PO and the sticky appeared to have resealed. I never did know if the seller sent an empty or if it was lost in shipping and the sticky restuck (it's possible because when I opened it, it restuck again too). The seller and I agreed to split the price of the item so we were both out 1/2. I learned something valuable though, don't send stuff in manila envelopes without double taping everything!!

mgmsrk 11-21-2012 01:58 PM

With no insurance I don't think you can get anything from the PO.

It's a sellers job to package things so they arrive safely. So for books a VERY sturdy box, packing stuff so they don't shift and about a full roll of tape.

Even then things can go wrong.

expaik 11-21-2012 02:08 PM

I've had two cases of media mail packages getting ripped/torn open and all contents lost in transit (I was the seller). In both cases I issued a full refund right away. I know the buyers were being honest - one sent me a pic of the postal note on the box, and other person was someone I implicitly trust.

Media mail is NOTORIOUSLY poorly handled. You really need to pack and tape up well.

The post office won't reimburse you for the contents. However, please see the last tip in my shipping thread below, which will explain how you can at least get your postage refunded. I also do not recommend having a dispute opened through paypal. That's a black mark on your paypal record as a seller, and if you're already going to resolve it amicably with the buyer, why do that?

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1454378

I_run_with_scissors 11-21-2012 03:05 PM

I would ask for pictures of the damaged package and the note from the PO and then i would refund them in full. Since you didnt get insurance the PO will not refund you

canadianbakers 11-22-2012 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I_run_with_scissors (Post 15958079)
I would ask for pictures of the damaged package and the note from the PO and then i would refund them in full. Since you didnt get insurance the PO will not refund you

:yeahthat:
Unfortunately without insurance, you'll be out the $$.

MommyZ of 2 11-22-2012 08:58 AM

Could these issues have something to do with the inspection of Media Mail packages? The PO is allowed to, and frequently does, inspect the contents of media mail packages to ensure that all of the materials meet the criteria. Even if you tape it up well, they may not do such a great job after they inspect it. There is always a chance of theft by the inspector, too.
It is also a good idea to make up a packing list to stick to the box, and place one inside. Put the senders and recipients addresses and a list of items on it.

My_Tree_Grows 11-22-2012 12:51 PM

Wow, I didn't know this could happen, I'd be so angry! Is this only USPS, or other countries as well? Shouldn't the postal service need to reimburse you? I'm just so, so shocked!

I_run_with_scissors 11-22-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My_Tree_Grows (Post 15960391)
Wow, I didn't know this could happen, I'd be so angry! Is this only USPS, or other countries as well? Shouldn't the postal service need to reimburse you? I'm just so, so shocked!

we dont have media mail in canada, so its not something us, as canadians will have to worry about (you can only ship media mail within the USA) but that's the point of insurance, in case your items are damaged or lost while in transit.

qsefthuko 11-22-2012 02:06 PM

Generally speaking the USPS is not responsible for improper handling, failure to complete the job you paid them to do, or in any other way take responsibility for their actions unless you pay extra to insure they do. Even then they may well try to get out of paying up. I wish we had more shipping options for mailing that entirely bypassed USPS.