Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   20 months...4-5 day separation, what to do? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1465689)

carolineb 11-21-2012 01:30 PM

20 months...4-5 day separation, what to do?

Hi there mamas! Well, I can't believe we've made it 20 months! (well, the 25th will be 20 months). Anyway, we are headed to NC from Oregon tomorrow. We are relocating to be closer to family again. We just sold our house (yesterday!) and we are leaving tomorrow for a house hunting trip. The kids will stay with the grandparents (an hour away) while DH and I get a hotel and do several intense days of house hunting.

I don't know what to do about ds still nursing. He really only nurses a couple of times a day, sometimes early a.m. if I am really tired and trying to get more sleep and he gets persistent, and before a nap. Sometimes he'll get really tired in the late afternoon and want to nurse. But, if he's away from me during the day, he's totally fine going all day without nursing.

I feel like my supply has dwindled to practically nothing anyway. When he does nurse before a nap and falls asleep, he rarely swallows much. I am more of a pacifier now.

So, we'll be apart about 4 1/2 days. I don't know if I should just take this time to wean him or what. I won't be able to take a pump and I never responded well to a pump anyway. (I'm talking 20+ minutes just to get a couple of oz and that was when I had a good supply when he was a newbie).

I had planned on letting him self wean but a part of me is really done, too. It's really best if we don't have the kids on this trip with us. It will be long days of driving all over the place looking at houses.

I just feel guilty for forcing it on him, but at the same time, I'm ready to be done and he doesn't seem to be taking much anyway and he seems fine when he has been apart from me for a full day.

Anyway, just any advice or tips or anything would be great!

VeganCupcake 11-21-2012 05:58 PM

Re: 20 months...4-5 day separation, what to do?

I would be prepared to hand-express if you get uncomfortably full--even if you think you're producing virtually nothing, you could be very surprised. And if you let a lot of milk sit around in the breast for days, you could be setting yourself up for mastitis. So anyway, be prepared to relieve the pressure somehow.

I think you should also be prepared for him to wean or want to nurse when he sees you again, and you can decide if you want to nurse him after 4 or 5 days or not. Is he ok with a caregiver for long periods of time without nursing for comfort?

carolineb 11-22-2012 12:29 AM

Re: 20 months...4-5 day separation, what to do?

Thanks! I guess I'd be okay for him to nurse again. I'll see how he does. My feeling is he'll want to nurse. I will try and hand express. Hopefully I'll still have something left for him if he wants it. He's perfectly fine with another caregiver for long periods and not needing to nurse. He'll use a pacifier some, too, just not if I'm around! I've never left him more than 8 or hours during the day, and there haven't been too many of those either. I would not have planned a 4 day trip without him weaning first, but we need to find housing and it would just be better if we didn't have him with us.