Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Is this mean? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1465732)

RainandRedemption 11-21-2012 04:06 PM

Is this mean?

Ok. A lot times when the kids are crabby it's because they're not feeling well, or they've had a rough day, or w/e. During those times I try to be as understanding as I can be while not allowing bad behavior.
BUT sometimes my kids are crabby because they have a crummy attitude about something and are trying to "bully" us into getting their way. DH is a real softie and it's mostly when we're with him that they do this, but they bring out crabby behavior to try to get their way.

So, the other day DS was flipping out in the car. We had just picked up dinner and DH and I mentioned to each other maybe going to the park after we ate. DS heard and demanded we eat AT the park. We said "no, it's cold and this is kinda messy for the park.....". Well DS totally lost it. He had a big trantrum in the car for a good 5 mins +. DH and I were just trying to keep our sanity, and DH said we should have a pair of "grumpy pants", big baggy pants with crabby faces on over them with crabby sayings, and big enough to stick both kids in them if we need to. We both just CRACKED UP. A real sanity saver for the moment, which is why Im considering actually making a pair. HEHEE :)

Part of me thinks it's kinda mean to do to the kids. But we'd only do it on those times when they are just being crabby cause they have a sorry attitude. Curious to know whether DS mamas consider this a mean thing to do to their children?

mibarra 11-21-2012 04:13 PM

It's a hilarious thought, but I probably wouldn't actually do it. Id be really tempted though. :)

I had punishments like this at times as a child, and the extra added humiliation always made me more resentful than sorry.

EmilytheStrange 11-21-2012 05:00 PM

Re: Is this mean?

sounds funny, but sounds like a lot of work when the kids are being tantrummy. I might make a crabby pants blanket to sit on or something.

AHIAMOM 11-21-2012 08:25 PM

If you can't even get them to shut up how would you get the pants on them?

Hillargh 11-21-2012 08:51 PM

Haha, this would have the opposite effect on my oldest. He loves patterned clothes or fabric. So he'd act up just to get to wear them LOL

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DS Forum

BeccaSueCongdon 11-21-2012 09:03 PM

So hilarious!

You could make them like bloomers or "hammer pants" with stretchy elastic. Lots of room for two kids. Bahaha.

AbbieJack 11-21-2012 09:14 PM

I think its an awesome idea! We have a "tattle tail" here. If you are being a tattle tale you have to wear the "tattle tail" until you can remember the difference between reporting and tattling.

earthflower 11-21-2012 11:38 PM

Ha Ha!

Rdesonia 11-21-2012 11:54 PM

I'd totally make crabby pants! (PS... in the car situation, I'd tell the kid to calm down or they won't get to go to the park after dinner. Then I'd stick to it. I'm MEAN. )

When we are in public and DS is being noisy or acting wild... I call him George. (As in Curious George the monkey). So he'll be ogling at someone or playing with something at the store and I'll say, "Hey, George come on." He HATES it. But on the plus side strangers just think his name is George so nobody thinks I'm being mean to him.

RainandRedemption 11-24-2012 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbbieJack
I think its an awesome idea! We have a "tattle tail" here. If you are being a tattle tale you have to wear the "tattle tail" until you can remember the difference between reporting and tattling.

This is a great idea!! In going to make one of these, and a "we will get along" shirt