Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Preemie, infection, and milk supply... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1465753)

7 for now 11-21-2012 06:55 PM

I have never had this issue and am totally at a loss. I was in the hospital for 2 weeks for PROM at 28-4 weeks. I finally got an infection and had to deliver by a true emergency csection at 30-5 weeks. They were not even going to wait for dh To get there, baby and I got that bad that fast. Thankfully I had already called him and told him I started running a fever and he was on his way but we live 80 miles from the hospital. He did make it but I was already cut open, he did get there right before they pulled baby out.

I usually have oversupply and have my milk fully in by the end Of day 2 and beginning of day 3. It is now day 5 and I am struggling to pump 7 Mls combined both breasts. I have been pumping with a Medela symphony every 2 hours since I came back from recovery. I just can't make milk. Is it due to him being a preemie, me having an infection and a csection? I have never had milk issues and this is baby number nine.

Everyone keeps reassuring me it will come in but I am not sure. I am still in the hospital because I run a fever every afternoon of about 101 still. Tomorrow we get to go home. He is eating 14 Mls every 3 hours and I can't even pump that much. He is Getting preemie formula to make up the difference and I feel like a failure. I have never used formula. I pump like mad woman but get a tiny amount only. Any experience?

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

juliasmom 11-21-2012 06:58 PM

Praying for you and your sweet baby! I am sure all those things could slow your milk coming in. Make sure you are hand expressing too...colostrum is hard to pump. Every drop of colostrum is liquid gold.

CASMama711 11-21-2012 07:55 PM

Re: Preemie, infection, and milk supply...

:hugs:
My twins were born at 31w4d and no matter what I did I could never pump enough for even one of them. :( Make sure you get lots of fluids and start trying to get baby to latch on as soon as the NICU will let you.

Mom2jandb 11-21-2012 10:33 PM

Do you get to put your preemie on your chest? Its supposed to really get the "mommy hormones" flowing if you do some tightly wrapped skin-to-skin time. That's what a great lactation consultant told me. Good luck mama.

BeccaSueCongdon 11-21-2012 11:38 PM

((Hugs))

You've been through so much, mama! Keep at it, and relax if you can. You're doing your best and every mL you pump for that baby is a huge deal. :-)

I've had good luck with oatmeal as a galactagogue (milk stimulating agent). Eating oatmeal for breakfast every morning while I was nursing my newbies made a big difference and I could tell a difference if I "skimped" and had something else. :-) Flax meal and Brewers Yeast are good things for milk production as well, and both can be mixed into oatmeal along with your favorite oatmeal toppings.

((Hugs))

BeccaSueCongdon 11-21-2012 11:40 PM

Also, let baby spend as much time as possible at the breast. It doesn't have to be focused on feeding or a perfect latch. Just letting baby snuggle around your breasts and lick/nuzzle at will helps stimulate the milk too.

loving my family 11-21-2012 11:53 PM

Is there any way you can put a hat or blanket in with him to get his smell on it? If so hold it (blanket - hat) smell it while you pump. I don't know how long they are letting you hold or touch him but maybe that would help with the hormones. :hugs:

vmomma 11-22-2012 02:16 AM

Hey mama :) I'm so happy to hear you and your little guy are safe. I ruptured with my 3 year old at 23 weeks and lasted 10 days before onset of infection. My milk did come in, and my 1 # 10oz baby ended up Breastfeeding for over 2 years.

I would suspect that your body is busy healing from the infection, and it may take a bit longer for your milk to come in. I hope you get a chance to relax, hold your sweet baby and make lots of milk! Keep us posted

CASMama711 11-22-2012 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon (Post 15959380)
Also, let baby spend as much time as possible at the breast. It doesn't have to be focused on feeding or a perfect latch. Just letting baby snuggle around your breasts and lick/nuzzle at will helps stimulate the milk too.

This probably won't be allowed for a few weeks. While skin-to-skin kangaroo care is encouraged, allowing baby to get his mouth on the nipples right now could be dangerous. Babies born this early cannot coordinate suck-swallow-breathe all at the same time and allowing them to try too early can lead to breathing problems. Typically the coordination to do these things together comes around 34-35 weeks. FWIW, I was allowed to start trying with my twins at 33 weeks gestational age. My DS latched on immediately and had no problems nursing and breathing together. My DD2 still wasn't ready. She didn't latch on at all until 34 weeks and even then she had breathing & heart rate problems while eating. :(

BeccaSueCongdon 11-22-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chmom77

This probably won't be allowed for a few weeks. While skin-to-skin kangaroo care is encouraged, allowing baby to get his mouth on the nipples right now could be dangerous. Babies born this early cannot coordinate suck-swallow-breathe all at the same time and allowing them to try too early can lead to breathing problems. Typically the coordination to do these things together comes around 34-35 weeks. FWIW, I was allowed to start trying with my twins at 33 weeks gestational age. My DS latched on immediately and had no problems nursing and breathing together. My DD2 still wasn't ready. She didn't latch on at all until 34 weeks and even then she had breathing & heart rate problems while eating. :(

That makes sense. :-)