Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Friends baby keeps drawing blood (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1465872)

crunchymom2b 11-22-2012 01:42 PM

Friends baby keeps drawing blood

My friend is still nursing her 15 month old; he doesn't take a bottle, will take a cup once in awhile. Won't take formula or pumped milk. Does eat plenty of solids at this point so the nursing isn't primarily for nutrition.

Recently he began biting, hard. At first it was only one particular side and a modified football hold temporarily fixed the issue. But now its both sides and to the ponit of drawing blood. Plus she has mastitis :-(

She's tried everything- the face shove, taking off with and without a stern no, withholding the breast, different positions, a nipple shield, etc etc. He has no interest in weaning though she would be fine with it. She figures he must be latching wrong but has no clue how to fix that. She's going to try to get in to see an LC but with the holidays it could be up to a week. She has gone to her local LLL meeting but it wasn't much help. Oh and he does it at random times so that makes it evenharder to pinpoint why he's doing it.

Are there any tricks she hasn't tried? Ideas on how to fix his latch? Any ideas why he's doing this to begin with?

whiteyacht 11-22-2012 04:42 PM

When my kids did that, I didn't just unlatch and say no. They got put on the floor and told that hurts, no nursing if you can't be nice. They cried a little, but within days it was over. Toddlers are old enough to learn nursing manners!

For the mastitis she might need antibiotics if it's not getting better.

Hth

Eta: for my kids at least, they did it to see mommy squeal. It wasn't teething related, but that could be your friend's lo's issue.

---
Sent from my phone. Please excuse typos.

crunch!910 11-22-2012 05:02 PM

Re: Friends baby keeps drawing blood

I'm having trouble with my 7 month old. You've already listed all the advice I have received. At 15 months old and biting with no end in sight, plus breaking skin, drawing blood and causing mastitis? I'd wean him. I wouldn't wean before 12 months, but if my baby's biting continues and gets worse and he was 15 months old... Ohyes, his nursing days would be over! lol

crunchymom2b 11-23-2012 09:01 AM

She has tried comletely putting him down but hasn't stuckwith one method for long. She's gonna use that for several days to see if it helps.

Some more info, she said it seems likehe's biting to get the milk out then is fine. She's tried compressions to help but that doesn't work either. She'd be happy to wean but baby disagrees and that's a different, but equally as hard, battle.

l_Kimmie_l 11-23-2012 09:12 AM

I would just flick him on the mouth and put him down each time and not allow him back on till he stopped fooling around. Unlike a small baby, he is not feeding out of hunger so there is no guilt with refusing the breast to him. He should also be told no bite, drink nice each time. Even no booby till you are nice can help. I would begin weaning if he does not stop. I rather listen to crying from a toddler than have my nipple bit like that.

I am petrified of baby teeth and finger nails. My 7 1/2 month old has not bit yet, but has the tooth bump going on right now. He pinches my nipples with his nails though all the time, which hurts like crazy. I remove his hand and say ouch. I am hoping he is not a biter. My middle one was and I went from nursing to pumping for him as I could not handle it.

abunchoflemons 11-23-2012 09:20 AM

Teething? Try frozen popcilcles of bm?