Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   BF'ing 1 and EP'ing for a 2nd? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1465930)

MrzP427 11-22-2012 09:49 PM

BF'ing 1 and EP'ing for a 2nd?

ok so My question is this:

Is it possible to EBF my 3 month old DD and EP for my 2 week old nephew?

Backstory:

I have been EBF my DD since day 1. At first I had an Oversupply but now my milk has regulated. Thing is my DD only eats off of one side so I am still pumping the other side to even things out. 2 1/2 weeks ago my nephew was born and my SIL has had major issues nursing him. At first it was that her nipples were bleeding from feedings and now he isn't gaining weight because her milk doesn't have alot of calories, so his Dr has recommended Formula. She really doesn't want to give him formula so She started looking into Donor milk, which is when I thought what if I gave him My milk? So here we are trying to come up with a plan on what I need to do to feed Both babies. My DD will come first and if this doesn't work out I will do whats best for my family. So please tell me what can I do to up my milk supply? My DH will be getting me Fenugreek this week and I eat a ton of Oatmeal with Flax seed for breakfast. He was so tiny at birth only 5 lbs 10 oz. Is what I am trying to do Possible or am I just going have to give what I can and help her look for another mom to help her out as well? Any and All Advice is welcome. Thanks

Sarah-B 11-22-2012 09:59 PM

Oh it is definitely possible. I would work on getting your DD to nurse on the other side to. Switching sides stimulates different sides of their brain. If you're pumping on the other side after your daughter eats then basically you Are already pumping enough for two babies. That is if you pumped as frequently as she nurses.
Sounds like you're eating perfect and that fenugreek Will help.

That is very nice of you to consider doing this. My DD is 4.5 months and our cousin is 1.5 months SIL was not able to produce milk(basically cuz she didn't even try) and I offered to do this for her daughter but she said now and is feeding her formula. :(

Congrats on your daughter and your nephew and happy pumping and breast-feeding!! You can do it!!

neuro_mom 11-22-2012 10:12 PM

Re: BF'ing 1 and EP'ing for a 2nd?

What an awesome gift to give to your nephew! :)

MrzP427 11-22-2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah-B (Post 15961315)
Oh it is definitely possible. I would work on getting your DD to nurse on the other side to. Switching sides stimulates different sides of their brain. If you're pumping on the other side after your daughter eats then basically you Are already pumping enough for two babies. That is if you pumped as frequently as she nurses.
Sounds like you're eating perfect and that fenugreek Will help.

That is very nice of you to consider doing this. My DD is 4.5 months and our cousin is 1.5 months SIL was not able to produce milk(basically cuz she didn't even try) and I offered to do this for her daughter but she said now and is feeding her formula. :(

Congrats on your daughter and your nephew and happy pumping and breast-feeding!! You can do it!!

Thanks :goodvibes: I really am trying and I have already given her about 100 oz of milk that was in the freezer so now I am working on making sure he doesn't run out before I can get him more. My brother is willing to buy all I need to be able to feed his little one, so that is a great help as well. Im sorry to hear about your SIL, No disrespect but she sounds a little ignorant if she wasnt willing to try and BF her child didn't want the help either. There are so many mommas who would give anything to be able to BF.

MrzP427 11-22-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neuro_mom (Post 15961345)
What an awesome gift to give to your nephew! :)

Thanks.

Sarah-B 11-23-2012 12:25 AM

Yes it is so disappointing too. I also worry because (our husbands are brothers) type 1 diabetes runs in the fam & breastfeeding for the 1st year lowers baby's chance of getting it by 60-70%

So awesome that you already gave 100oz!! And great that your brother wants breastmilk for his baby :)

HeatherlovesCDs 11-23-2012 08:32 AM

I agree. It's totally possible, especially if you are already pumping one full side at each feeding. I've nursed 2 sets of twins and I assigned each baby a side. So, each side was producing enough for 1 baby at each feeding, making each breast produce a full day's worth of milk for one baby. In theory, you are already doing that with the pump. I would switch your child back and forth with the pump though because babies do better than a pump. If I were you, I'd add a pumping session or 2 if you can. Make sure you are pumping to empty and pumping for at least 2-5 minutes past the milk flow. Also, if you pump the side baby just nursed from a few minutes after she is done, it will encourage your breasts to produce more.

Fenugreek works best when taken with Blessed Thistle. You need to take enough to smell like maple syrup, usually at least 3 pills 3x a day. I take 5 right now.

Look at Kellymom.com to see how much milk baby should be taking per feeding. A common thing that happens with bottle feed babies (even with BM) is they overeat because they are given too much milk per feeding. Then, mom/donor thinks they aren't producing enough when in reality, the baby is overeating. Babies only need about 1oz per hr. They often have a need to suck beyond the amount of milk they need making it seem like they need more milk. So, using a paci or having mom BF as much as she can even if no milk is coming would be great to help with that. Look on Kellymom.com. It will tell you how much to feed and help with this.

This is awesome of you!! I've donated in the past and it was a wonderful feeling. Good luck!

BeccaSueCongdon 11-23-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrzP427

Thanks :goodvibes: I really am trying and I have already given her about 100 oz of milk that was in the freezer so now I am working on making sure he doesn't run out before I can get him more. My brother is willing to buy all I need to be able to feed his little one, so that is a great help as well. Im sorry to hear about your SIL, No disrespect but she sounds a little ignorant if she wasnt willing to try and BF her child didn't want the help either. There are so many mommas who would give anything to be able to BF.

It sounds ignorant to you, maybe. But you don't know her reasons. All women have reasons for making the choices that they do. You have no way of knowing this woman's history or her breastfeeding issues, and to lay out a blanks statement like that makes you sound like the ignorant one.

FTR; I Nursed my DS for 30 months until my milk dried up during my second pregnancy, and my dd for 15 months when we weaned bc she had an allergic reaction to the medication I was taking. So my opinion isn't based on being defensive about my own decisions, but on being tired of how BF women talk about women who choose to FF.

l_Kimmie_l 11-23-2012 09:25 AM

I actually did this for 18 months. I breast fed my son and pumped for a local baby. In fact I fed her baby longer than my own. Mine weaned at 12 months and hers needed my milk till 18 months. I did what you are doing now. I pump the other side that baby fed from. I regulated over time to make enough for each child to have a booby of their own.

Sarah-B 11-23-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon

It sounds ignorant to you, maybe. But you don't know her reasons. All women have reasons for making the choices that they do. You have no way of knowing this woman's history or her breastfeeding issues, and to lay out a blanks statement like that makes you sound like the ignorant one.

FTR; I Nursed my DS for 30 months until my milk dried up during my second pregnancy, and my dd for 15 months when we weaned bc she had an allergic reaction to the medication I was taking. So my opinion isn't based on being defensive about my own decisions, but on being tired of how BF women talk about women who choose to FF.

SIL just gave up she tried for a day and said well I want my husband to be able to feed the baby too do I can keep sleeping. That to me is ignorant. We are all entitled you are own opinions. That doesn't mean we should pass judgment or be rude to anyone (I would never be rude to anyone who chooses to formula) but it also means that when you see a mama that doesn't even give it a valid try it sort of makes you mad inside a little bit. And I think here DS is a safe place to vent.