Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Induce at 34 weeks? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1465936)

brookglen 11-22-2012 10:50 PM

Induce at 34 weeks?

I'm 30 weeks tomorrow and yesterday I went in and received a confirmed cholastasis diagnosis. They are sending me to a fancy schmancy high risk doc at USC where I will receive NSTs weekly until delivery which they will begin considering at 34 weeks. They will not induce until they are certain that the babes lungs are ready, but it still kind of worries me a bit. I was 35 weeks when I was diagnosed with my daughter, so they let me go all the way to 37. I'm a little worried, but know that I'll be working with a top notch medical team to figure it all out.

I guess I'm kind of curious about what I should expect. Anything before 37 weeks just seems so early to me. I feel like she will be too small (my daughter was 6 pounds at birth) and will need the help of the nicu. Has anyone here dealt with being induced this early?

UmmKira 11-22-2012 11:22 PM

I haven't, but just wanted to send you hugs. :)

Sent from my phone using DS Forum... Typos complements of Swype

BeccaSueCongdon 11-22-2012 11:28 PM

((Hugs))

My SIL was induced at 37 weeks but baby was measuring at 34 and was born and 4lbs 15oz. She was induced for IUGR though and not cholestasis. She didn't have any complications (baby) and was sent home with mom a couple days after delivery. She was a extra sleepy, and they had to watch close for jaundice, but overall she did well.

brookglen 11-22-2012 11:37 PM

Thanks, ladies.

Yeah, my daughter had to be monitored for jaundice as well. They didn't make big deal of it. She was super sleepy and didn't make a peep right after being born. It was kind of scary. But she did just fine.

qsefthuko 11-22-2012 11:46 PM

Re: Induce at 34 weeks?

39 years ago my older brother was born according to my mom at 36 weeks the doctor was saying 34 weeks. He barely weighed in at 5 lbs. Other than being very tiny he was fine without the nicu.

tjs77tsa 11-23-2012 12:16 AM

I was induced at 34 weeks with my DS he was 4lbs 5oz and only spent 2 weeks in the nicu with no complications. He is now 15 months and a healthy super chunky little man.

HeatherlovesCDs 11-23-2012 09:04 AM

I had 2 sets of twins. One at 35wk and the other at 36wks. Everyone was just fine. My 35wk'ers came home with me 2 days later. Both were jaundice, one was worse than the other and both had billi blankets at home. The 36wk'ers, one came home 2 days later and the other was in the NICU for 11 days. Again, both were jaundice. Some babies need the NICU before 37wks and some don't. Most 34wk'ers will need some NICU time. Around 50% of 35wk'ers will and most 36wk'ers don't need NICU time, but some do (as you see, one of mine did). The NICU was one of the hardest things I've ever done. But, everyone is just fine. I'm sure your baby will be too. Carry baby as long as you safely can, but trust that baby will be fine when you have to deliver. :hugs:

mothergooseofthree 11-23-2012 09:34 AM

My oldest was born at 32 wks, not induced though. He was tiny and in NICU for two weeks with no complications.

ktmelody 11-23-2012 10:52 AM

I was induced at 34w5d for IUGR.....

Dd was born 24 hours after my amnio said her lungs were mature. She was 6 pounds 1 ounce, and was way bigger than they thought (didnt have iugr). She did fine and went home with us, but was admitted to the hospital at day 3 for 3 days with severe jaundice.

weesej 11-23-2012 01:12 PM

A 34 weeker very well might need the NICU, but you also know how serious ICP can be. If you're biles are sky high or baby is stressed it very well could be best to induce at that point. Hopefully things will be stable and you can make it to 36-37 weeks.

My itching has been ramping up too. My bile acids when I first had any itching were at 9, so totally acceptable, but last pregnancy they never went above a 4...and I never itched as much as I have been this last week. I had mild ICP with babies #6 and #7...so we will wait and see. I've got enough issues this time that I get to start NST's next week at 30 weeks.

What did you're bile acids come back at?? Hope the itching isn't too insane!